Good RPGs?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Good RPGs?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Good RPGs?

I think the thread about Neverwinter Nights reminded me that I need to find another RPG. I really did (do) like Neverwinter Nights. Right now I am on the chapter with the Sleeping Man but those Golems are really kicking my ass so I've put it down for a while and forgotten about it. Now I am reminded that I need to finish it. But I am curious to know what ya'all might recommend I play once I finish.

Probably my favorite type of game is the RPG. I do like the multiplayer aspect but to tell you the truth, it is hard to schedule time with friends (or family, I play a lot with my brother), so it really isnt a driving aspect. Single player is cool.. especially with a good story. Actually, I think I prefer the single player, just because I can play for a while, turn it off and do something else, and then come back when I feel ready for another session.

I've tried out a lot of them and have found a few that I enjoy. Some of the RPGs that I have recently played and liked would include:

Divine Divinity (I list this first because this is probably one of my favorite games. Graphics look very dated but it is a hell of a lot of fun and the story is awesome! Probably catch hell for listing it though )

Neverwinter Nights (although a lot of people are down on this game I've had a good time playing it. I even liked the original campaign)

Temple of Elemental Evil (buggy as hell but very nice if you can put up with it. Probably have a patch out now though.)

Dungeon Seige ( Good stuff. Multiplayer sucks. I am convinced it doesnt even work and never will no matter what I try)

Some oldies but goodies Ive liked include:

Diablo & D2 (you will probably be able to tell by my list that I like Diablo style games )

Baldurs Gate & BG2 (cannot say enough good things about these)

Pretty much all the Final Fantasy games

Well, after seeing the games I like please list anything that you think I would be interested in. I suddenly feel like it might be time that I sat down and played something for a while.. I just dont know what... Still have Hordes of the Underdark to finish but maybe I will wrap that up here soon.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Playstation RPG's worth playing:
    -Tales of destiny 2
    -FF7-9 and Tactics
    -Lunar 1 and 2

N64 RPG's worth playing:
    -Harvest Moon
    -Zelda: ocarina of time

Super Nintendo RPG's worth playing:
    -Secret of mana
    -chrono trigger

PC RPG's worth playing:
    -FF11
    -Morrowind

haha i forgot what i was innitialls suppose to write about

Ry

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd heard temple of elemental evil is good in spite of its flaws.

Also, Star Wars: Knights of the old republic (on x-box and PC) is supposed to be extremely good. My brother raves about it...I just wish I had a better PC so I could try it.

I've also always been partial to Icewind Dale 2.

Art student
    ~Livin' large at Watts Atelier.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,197 Times in 254 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i think i'm starting to actually enjoy rpg's for consoles more than rpg's for pc's...

can't make any suggestions though

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm all about the SNES RPGs. Secret of Mana and Secret of Evermore are both oldies but perfect. Illusion of Gaia was a great game. All of the Final Fantasys on the SNES blew me away. Chrono Trigger holds the cup for being the great.

On both playstations you have FF 7, Chrono Cross, FF 10, KINGDOM HEARTS. KH is probably my all time favorite RPG.

On the PC you have the Diablos, Dungeon Seige, and hmmm....never mind all I have left is Stragety games.

Definitly play Kingdom Hearts.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good suggestions. Have to look into some of these.

I'd never heard of some of them. Never heard of the Tales of Destiny or Lunar games. I have a PS2 to maybe I will see about picking them up.

Some I have heard of but never remember when in the store. The Chronos Trigger and Cronos Cross have always sounded cool to me. I think my wife have the Secret of Mana stuff floating around too but Ive never played them for some reason. All I have heard is good things about Kingdom Hearts so maybe I will try that out. For some reason the Disney characters kind of scared me away from it but, like I said, Ive only heard good things. Maybe the next game for me will be the Star Wars: KotOR though. Ive played pretty much all the Dark Foces/Jedi Knight gmaes and thought they were fun. Now they have made this RPG which everyone raves about. Didnt the same people who made Baldurs Gate make the game? If so, it will have to be played.

I too like the console best for gaming (in general).. although I do find myself on the PC a lot more than my PS2. Not sure why.. A month or two ago I was seriously considering getting a Game Cube because I wanted to revisit Zelda and play the Metroid games. Didnt end up getting one though. Having two consoles scares me I also have a friend who is trying to talk me into buying an Xbox so we can play online. Considering it.. but having two consoles scares me Im afraid I wouldnt get a whole lot done with all those games to play. Still, some cool games out there I cant play right now because of the wrong console. Got the PS2 so I could continue playing Final Fantasy titles.. but now they are releasing to Nintendo too (err, again)!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fallout 1-2
    Baldur's Gate (all)
    Planescape Torment

Es fließt durch meine Venen, Es schläft in meinen Tränen
    Es läuft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I definitely agree with HugeHarHar. SNES RPGs were the best.

Planescape Torment was really cool. A lot of really good ideas in there.

Dreamcast had a few good ones. The best one was Grandia II. It is also available on the PS2, but I have not played that version. The battle system was really cool.

Xbox has shit in the way of RPGs, but Shenmue II is really good. Even better if you have played number one.

.: I am a Middle Class Member :.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    morrowind is an awesome game, whenver i play it i find something new that i somehow missed before. i cant wait for bathesda to do the next elderscrolls game

i havent played much of it but does anyone else think that knights of the old republic is over-rated?

VERY mercenary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My top RPGs of all time in no order are:

Baldur's Gate I
    Baldur's Gate II
    Neverwinter Nights
    Icewind Dale II
    Fallout 1
    Fallout 2
    Chrono Trigger
    Planescape Torment
    Morrowind
    Zelda (SNES)

Baldurs Gate series is my favorite RPG of all time. I'm so sad they retired that engine. I really loved the prerendered graphics, it was a nice unique look and the games were so well made. I dont know what has become of Black Isle...

Chrono Trigger IMO is the best console RPG to ever be created. I just played through it again a couple months ago on an emulator and its rare that I play old games much anymore.

Personally I like more traditional type of RPGs so I'm not sure of your style. I dont like anime stuff and typically hate turn based games (with the exception of Fallout).

Morrowind is excellent! Played through all the addon packs and its probably the longest game I've ever played. You can take some sick screenshots of the game when playing. You should see some of the ones I took. Only downside could be is that you have no party so if you like that sort of thing your out of luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Morrowind is pretty damn nice. Played the original campaign and really enjoyed that. I've not tried the expantion packs yet though. I was kind of interested in the Bloodmoon (was that the name?) because being a Werewolf sounded nice. My only complaint was that I'd often stumble into places that I had no business being and get slaughtered (worlds so big and I like to explore). Could be looked at as part of the fun or challenge. Not a big complaint though. It is a great game.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,197 Times in 254 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i'm playing GOTHIC II, it's actually very fun, very very frustrating though since most of the combat is trail and error... the combat system is very hard to master since there are no sheilds you have to manually parry your attacker by pressing backwards...takes some getting used to

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by oglzogl
    Morrowind is pretty damn nice. Played the original campaign and really enjoyed that. I've not tried the expantion packs yet though. I was kind of interested in the Bloodmoon (was that the name?) because being a Werewolf sounded nice. My only complaint was that I'd often stumble into places that I had no business being and get slaughtered (worlds so big and I like to explore). Could be looked at as part of the fun or challenge. Not a big complaint though. It is a great game.
    Didn't like Bloodmoon as much as the original campaign, mostly because the setting was all similar, the monsters were not too varied, and the items I found there were like something I would have liked early in the original campaign. I'd recommend if you do get it to play it before you beat the original game. I was so strong by the time I got there I was just decimating everything.

I thought Tribunal was a good addon, I actually beat that before I beat the original campaign, mostly for the kick ass weapons and armor you get there. Nothing like enhanced high ordinator armor. The weapons are also the best in the game. The only downside is its not a physical location on the main world map but its awesome how when you install it the main game plot changes to go with the addon pack.

Probably the smartest thing I did in Morrowind was enchanting my boots to levitate constantly when I trapped a golden saint into my super star soul gem. I just fly around the island instead of walking

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.