Cyberpunk/Sci-fi face WIP (crits wanted) Upd 27/2-10

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hi guys

Im not a regular poster, but i get inspired by so many great posts on these forums, and i usually try to figure out stuff on my own and through tutorials.
    But i hunger to improve and know that one of the best ways to do that is with the help of the CA community.

This image is inspired by various influences, and has been through some transormation and is kinda far from done... but i'd really like to be pointed in the right direction. Open to all oppinions and critiques.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Jehuty; February 27th, 2010 at 10:24 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is looking really cool! nice skin rendering. I think you're off to a great start here and just keep rendering and pushing it. Eventually some textures on the metal pieces would be a nice touch - scratches, paint flaking, etc

ULTIMATE SKETCH GROUP
    Angelo | Gredgie | Matty

Website - Look at me
    Email - Hire me
    Facebook - Be my friend, pleaseeeee
    Nocturnal Concept Emissions - Surprise

4. The Following User Says Thank You to angelo cordon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Angelo, i am planning to texturize the different parts but i didnt think of paint flaking wich is a great idea, might make some scratches on the horns as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is coming along nicely. Make sure to hit this with a warm and cool light. The blue looks great with that greyish tone. The face adds a good warm contrast too but just push the colors on the helmet more. I think this could benefit from a really creepy green tone in the background. Maybe have it reflecting onthe forehead and face parts. I like the style because it reminds me of cel-shading.

My SkEtChBoOk

[URL="www.wftogame.com
    [/URL]

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RoboBobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks alot Bobby! i was thinkin about somethin green-ish tone for the bg, just dont know what ill put there... I was plannin on doing dried out paint/brushstrokes on the helmet or corrosive marks in other colors.
    And even though i didnt think of making a cel-shading style, i realize that there are some thick contours that could cause that reminder.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Most of the tones are lovely.

The horns are shaded too flat, unless they're meant to be oval.

You've got different lighting on the face and head gear. The head gear doesn't have the rim lighting that shows up on the face. Once you put it in I think you'll have to tone down and broaden the highlights caused by the fill light, so it doesn't compete with the rim light.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jack the R For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Jack, while the horns are yet to be done i was thinking about making them similar to goat horns, shapewise and yeah, theres alot left to do on them.

I see ur points about the light-differences and i agree with the the broadening of the hightlights on the headgear, and will try to adjust it to be more consistent.

Thanks again

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That is a pretty awesome piece.

What strikes me though is that assuming that the mask is somewhat symmetrical, the perspective is a bit wonky. Most of the lines are parallel, which means no vanishing point.

I've tried to draw some lines using the mouth and the lights.

Hope it is useful.

-NWS

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to N.W.S For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wonky is the correct description Nikolaj, i realize that there are Tons (with a big t) of perspective-flaws, i was planning to line things up a bit when i got all the shapes done, and while the mask/headgear is not intended to be fully symmetrical i will be changing the features of it, making some of what now seems like poor perspective (the lightstuff) into new details.

Im also aware of that her face might not have the correct angle compared to the headgear and im kinda tryin to figure out where that damn ear of hers is supposed to be.

But yeah, im glad you appointed what ive been lazy with.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, I really like the piece thus far, but im not sold on the "Horns". I dont really see the point of a Cyberpunk with horns. I think It would be a better touch if u were to add it as a decal instead.

But keep up the work :-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The skin doesn't looked suitably abused to be cyberpunk. There should be visible puckering where meat meets metal. That's largely personal taste, though.

Amateur Artist. Professional Asshole.

Lookit the Pretty!

Rule #1 of depicting soldiers: KEEP THE DAMN FINGER OFF THE DAMN TRIGGER.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,625 Times in 3,781 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I don't agree with those red lines at all and think you've done a pretty good job perspective wise. Now push it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm loving it so far, it has great potentional to turn out .

Although there's one thing that bugs me, the lower lip seems very flat I think it needs to be a bit thicker/rounded. Just for added effect maybe add a brushed metal look to the highlights on the metal tubes and so forth.

Anyway, keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    BlueIce- Thanks dude, and although i can understand that the horns arent exactly orthodox in a cyberpunk manner i kinda wanted them in order to make the mechanical/organic differences slightly blurred and also for the girl not just to be a pretty face.

Falchion- Ive been thinking about makin her even paler and perhaps adding some metallic pattern-like things...like circuits. It had also crossed my mind to make somelike teethmarks from the helmet.

Blackspot- Thank you very much, but im pretty sure ive missed some angles in the perspective... i usually do. But im glad you dont think its that bad.

Almostjakob- Ah yes the lips... while i dont really want to make Angelina Jolie out of this i will put alot more work into them, and i do agree with the flatness on the lower lip.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree and disagree with BlueIceX. I feel the horns give her a bit of personality, however, to keep it in the steampunk genre, I would consider making them metallic, perhaps made from scrap metal.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Once you've shaded in the rest to the detail level of the skin, it will look pretty great. Add some reflections from the lights and dirty it up and bit and you'll have a winner. Really like the teeth where the eyes would have been.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    FWIW there was a character in the early days of Image that looked a lot like this, except she had two really big curving horns instead of four smaller ones. She may have been created by Jim Lee. I thought her name was "The Cybernarian" but Google isn't finding her.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, I found her - The Cybernary. Created by Nick Manabat. I remember this being a cool looking character but these illustrations aren't working for me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Small update

Graive- Im glad you think they provide personality, making them metallic however im still not sure of, i have been thinking about making them into separate pieces (like...lego?) and also about adding a pattern of somekind, either engraved or painted on them.

Rich_C- Thanks buddy, yeah im kinda eager to do those light reflections and making it more gritty.

Jack the R- The cybernary huh?... she kinda reminds me of the Angelus from The Darkness comic, i do get the resemblance.

So uhm, a really small update... havnt really changed much, but have started to texturize some metal and adding shadows and such, im still not sure what to do about the bg, and I Will be adjusting the horns...eventually.
    I really appreciate all the comments and critiques and will try to speed things up a bit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    feel free to warm up that nose with some warm reds(cad red)- for reference., and cool down the lips with a cool red.(alizarin crimson) Looks great though.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to michaeljared For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Michael, tried to fix the nose and lips a bit along with some other changes in this updated version.

Im not sure about the colors in general and was hoping to get some more feedback on that (and everything else..), I also realize that the face and image itself gets kinda "heavy" with so much dark values and outlines and im hoping to adjust this somewhat.. somehow. And i do understand that i shoud be keeping the highly rendered stuff near the face itself to keep focus.

And yeah, im thinking about doing some kind of pattern with the glowing blue along the horns...i think?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love this. It instantly says to me, a classic, fantasy dark knight, rendered in a futuristic cyberpunk style. It's really coming along too, with all the little tweaks. I wouldn't mind seeing a second large glowing sphere like the one on the far right. Mirrored and moved down just a smidge, it'd create a really creepy illusion of exterior eyes that totally contrasts the softness of the face.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Tony, and yeah it was my intent to make the glowing sphere somewhat resemble an eye, but i kinda want to keep that subtile so two of em' might be a bit specific.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work man. Nothing to say yet your on a great roll. Looks rad

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunny For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think a subtle pattern would work nice with the blue horns.

I wouldn't worry too much about the highly rendered all over - you can always put a blur gradient in certain parts of the image (like around the edges) in the final stages.....If you weren't already planning to do that!

Kitty's Drawings - My blog!

I have a Sketchbook now ---> SKETCHY!!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to kittymeow84 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehuty View Post
    Jack the R- The cybernary huh?... she kinda reminds me of the Angelus from The Darkness comic, i do get the resemblance.
    As far as published appearances go, I believe the Cybernary predates the Darkness by several years. I remember seeing the Cybernary in the first years of Image.

Progress looks good!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sunny- Thanks man, im glad you dig, hope the update will be to your liking.

Kittymeow- Yeah, im not sure about this updated pattern...but ive tried a few others and this was the only one that didnt attract too much attention. Havnt really tried out blur gradients but thanks for the tip!

Jack the R- Strange if she appeared so early in the image era, not really one of the characters that stuck around then i guess, otherwise we'd be seein her in Image United and all that stuff... im just pissed about whats goin on with spawn theese days.

So uhm, another really small update, i think im starting to get the colors to my liking and will start to merge the figure with the bg a bit more and adding that 2nd lightsource. Would really like oppinions on wether or not i should be putting some stuff (more tubes most likeley) in the foreground to add more depth?
    Other comments and crits are still much appreciated so speak ur minds

And oh yeah, could someone explain how to add one of the later attatchments as the thumbnail for the thread?...im feeling slightly retarded but i did not manage to figure it out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you're feeling foreground tubes, rock 'em out. You can always turn that layer off if it doesn't work.

I haven't followed Image in at least a decade, but I'm certain The Cybernary was there in the beginning.

Ah - I just looked up Nick Manabat on Wikipedia and found out what happened - he died of cancer three years after creating the character. That sucks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome work! But be careful as your adding in all the nooks and crannies, you don't want too much detail near the edges, and overall, your image is getting much lighter in it's average value, which I think detracts form the dark/cyberpunk feel.

"...To spend my life relentlessly producing instead of sedately consuming..." -xkcd

My site: www.truepinkas.com

Slowly populating my It's Finally Finished thread!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jack - Yeah i saw about his demise when checking out the comic earlier, sucks indeed.

Truepinkas - Yeah i realize some details are a bit far out right now, dont really know if i should add more green light or smudge stuff, and its indeed true that the values have gone brighter, dont know if or how i should change that.

A really slow update of what i can soon consider finished... but yeah not as dark as originally planned. Feedback is still very welcome, and tips about finishing touches and added details are also very much welcome... i do realize its kinda packed though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.