Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: iPad released, possible rival for the cintiq?

Thanks

iPad released, possible rival for the cintiq?

Well, for now it doesn't run photoshop, and if it ever will it will probably be a light version.

However, the iPad is cheaper than any of the cintiq tablets, it runs on a battery for 10h and it doesn't come with the bunch of wires the cintiq 12wx comes with. On top of that it can play your music, store your pictures, and run lots of other applications.

Even though Apple released its own paint application called 'Brushes', I would love to be able to use it with Photoshop/Painter too. I wonder if the iPad can be used as a normal tablet connected to a computer, cause in that case I'd want one.

What's your thought on the iPad?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    If the screen has no pressure sensitivity then it is going to limit its effectiveness for artists. I still wouldn't mind having one and using an iPad version of Brushes or Sketchbook Mobile but I think I'll wait to see how it and the software develops.

Thanks
    I'd love to use sketchbook mobile with ipad, but it's obviously not a rival for any wacom touchscreen monitor.
    it looks sweet and absolutely trendy, but I see it as a very niche product
    on the fourth day of glitchmas my painter™ gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Thanks
    My understanding is that it's a touch screen but not a pressure sensitive screen. So it's rather useless for art. Really, it doesn't seem to be much more than a giant iPhone with extra features. It might be nice for sketching, and I'll admit it would be very handy for travel if you're a business person or something, but it doesn't look all that appealing for me.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the one doing it."

Got Art? My Website

My deviantART Gallery

Thanks
    i agree with you i dont like it. it seems like an oversized ipod with upgrade iphone os. it dosnt impress me and like you i was disappointed because i thought it would run os x not iphone os.
    Last edited by HowieSun; January 30th, 2010 at 07:36 AM.
    why people smokes Cuban Cigars ??

Thanks
    Man, that thing is another Apple marketing ploy. I was pissed. Apple should just man up and field a 15" tablet with MacbookPro specs. One look at the iPhone and I knew that was gonna be hit, but this iPad thing......well I don't see the need. Those new Win7 multi-touch tablets are gonna kill this thing once someone drops theirs down to 449USD with a low end mobile quad or duo, at least 4GB of RAM and has a Bamboo level digitizer included. Might be a stretch though, these greedy a$$ PC manufacturers don't ever do what it takes to stop Apple from getting ahead on design alone....they're gonna hit us with substandard hardware for an inflated price as usual only to sell a fraction of what they projected. The market's about to get bloated with tablet junk, everybody hide
    Chipsterology Sketchbook - Open for crits - 24hrs
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=126257
    Twitter: Chipsterology

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackARK View Post
    The market's about to get bloated with tablet junk, everybody hide
    Agreed.
    At least, Apple is producing pretty junk.
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Thanks
    haha, I didn't even realize that it wasn't pressure sensitive...kinda sucks!
    and yeah, the fact that it doesn't run os x pissed me off too, I really expected this to become a decent device, but it seems to be more of a toy that didn't recieve much more new features over an iphone

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackARK View Post
    Man, that thing is another Apple marketing ploy. I was pissed. Apple should just man up and field a 15" tablet with MacbookPro specs. One look at the iPhone and I knew that was gonna be hit, but this iPad thing......well I don't see the need. Those new Win7 multi-touch tablets are gonna kill this thing once someone drops theirs down to 449USD with a low end mobile quad or duo, at least 4GB of RAM and has a Bamboo level digitizer included. Might be a stretch though, these greedy a$$ PC manufacturers don't ever do what it takes to stop Apple from getting ahead on design alone....they're gonna hit us with substandard hardware for an inflated price as usual only to sell a fraction of what they projected. The market's about to get bloated with tablet junk, everybody hide

Bingo, if you can wait until the 2nd quarter of this year, you could get your hands on one of these. http://www.axiotron.com/index.php?id=modbookpro
    (A bit out of the iiPad price range though 0_o)

Also, you can get one of these for a good bit less, but it's on an older system:
    http://www.axiotron.com/index.php?id=modbook

And I wouldn't call the average PC manufacturer greedy. On a PC you can usually get the same specs for less than a comparable apple.

Thanks
    As other people have already stated - it doesn't have pressure sensitivity. It also doesn't have a stylus, and I don't really fancy finger painting. Brushes however is a nice app, I'm not sure how well a heavy app like Photoshop would run on the hardware.

The original concepts for the Microsoft Courier are what I was hoping the iPad would be:
    http://gizmodo.com/5365299/courier-f...-secret-tablet

Thanks
    I bet something comparable to photoshop 7,0 would run finely, especially with photo-manipulation functions reduced to minimum.
    and I assume you can get a 3d party stilus separately;
    lack of pressure sensitivity is bad, though.

Thanks
    i don't know. lack of pressure sensitivity is bad but if i get ipad i will primarily use it for sketching and simple color works. the other day i have tested out sketchbook pro mobile on iphone with 3rd party stylus. it was pretty nice. if i can get that with bigger screen i can leave my sketchbook home for good. one thing that is more important than pressure sensitivity is lagging. if i can get ipad running sketchbook pro mobile(version that takes advantage of bigger ipad screen and maybe with better UI) with no lag with brushes. i am all for it.

Thanks
    I really just want wacom to come out with their own allinone Cintiq - ie. a tablet PC designed for artists.

Oh, and twist sensitivity.

Of course Wacom don't have enough competition to seriously consider either of those suggestions. Their tech has just *barely* improved in what, 15 years?

Long term I want a digital paper based mobile cintiq with twist sense and no image/surface displacement - hence digital paper which can do this, along with working well in bright sunlight. Unfortunately however I'll guess Wacom will take another ten years just to get twist sensitivity let alone any of the other things I mentioned.

Meantime it'd be nice to see tablet PCs get good enough to start seriously competing with Wacom in the Cintiq area. I can certainly see Apple bringing out a professional artist grade iPad at some stage given that it suits their reputation and market. The sooner the better.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast