iPad released, possible rival for the cintiq?

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

iPad released, possible rival for the cintiq?

Well, for now it doesn't run photoshop, and if it ever will it will probably be a light version.

However, the iPad is cheaper than any of the cintiq tablets, it runs on a battery for 10h and it doesn't come with the bunch of wires the cintiq 12wx comes with. On top of that it can play your music, store your pictures, and run lots of other applications.

Even though Apple released its own paint application called 'Brushes', I would love to be able to use it with Photoshop/Painter too. I wonder if the iPad can be used as a normal tablet connected to a computer, cause in that case I'd want one.

What's your thought on the iPad?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    If the screen has no pressure sensitivity then it is going to limit its effectiveness for artists. I still wouldn't mind having one and using an iPad version of Brushes or Sketchbook Mobile but I think I'll wait to see how it and the software develops.

Thanks
    I'd love to use sketchbook mobile with ipad, but it's obviously not a rival for any wacom touchscreen monitor.
    it looks sweet and absolutely trendy, but I see it as a very niche product

on the fourth day of glitchmas my painter™ gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Thanks
    My understanding is that it's a touch screen but not a pressure sensitive screen. So it's rather useless for art. Really, it doesn't seem to be much more than a giant iPhone with extra features. It might be nice for sketching, and I'll admit it would be very handy for travel if you're a business person or something, but it doesn't look all that appealing for me.

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the one doing it."

Got Art? My Website

My deviantART Gallery

Thanks
    i agree with you i dont like it. it seems like an oversized ipod with upgrade iphone os. it dosnt impress me and like you i was disappointed because i thought it would run os x not iphone os.

Last edited by HowieSun; January 30th, 2010 at 06:36 AM.
    why people smokes Cuban Cigars ??

Thanks
    Man, that thing is another Apple marketing ploy. I was pissed. Apple should just man up and field a 15" tablet with MacbookPro specs. One look at the iPhone and I knew that was gonna be hit, but this iPad thing......well I don't see the need. Those new Win7 multi-touch tablets are gonna kill this thing once someone drops theirs down to 449USD with a low end mobile quad or duo, at least 4GB of RAM and has a Bamboo level digitizer included. Might be a stretch though, these greedy a$$ PC manufacturers don't ever do what it takes to stop Apple from getting ahead on design alone....they're gonna hit us with substandard hardware for an inflated price as usual only to sell a fraction of what they projected. The market's about to get bloated with tablet junk, everybody hide

Chipsterology Sketchbook - Open for crits - 24hrs
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=126257
    Twitter: Chipsterology

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackARK View Post
    The market's about to get bloated with tablet junk, everybody hide
    Agreed.
    At least, Apple is producing pretty junk.

four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Thanks
    haha, I didn't even realize that it wasn't pressure sensitive...kinda sucks!
    and yeah, the fact that it doesn't run os x pissed me off too, I really expected this to become a decent device, but it seems to be more of a toy that didn't recieve much more new features over an iphone

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackARK View Post
    Man, that thing is another Apple marketing ploy. I was pissed. Apple should just man up and field a 15" tablet with MacbookPro specs. One look at the iPhone and I knew that was gonna be hit, but this iPad thing......well I don't see the need. Those new Win7 multi-touch tablets are gonna kill this thing once someone drops theirs down to 449USD with a low end mobile quad or duo, at least 4GB of RAM and has a Bamboo level digitizer included. Might be a stretch though, these greedy a$$ PC manufacturers don't ever do what it takes to stop Apple from getting ahead on design alone....they're gonna hit us with substandard hardware for an inflated price as usual only to sell a fraction of what they projected. The market's about to get bloated with tablet junk, everybody hide

Bingo, if you can wait until the 2nd quarter of this year, you could get your hands on one of these. http://www.axiotron.com/index.php?id=modbookpro
    (A bit out of the iiPad price range though 0_o)

Also, you can get one of these for a good bit less, but it's on an older system:
    http://www.axiotron.com/index.php?id=modbook

And I wouldn't call the average PC manufacturer greedy. On a PC you can usually get the same specs for less than a comparable apple.

Thanks
    As other people have already stated - it doesn't have pressure sensitivity. It also doesn't have a stylus, and I don't really fancy finger painting. Brushes however is a nice app, I'm not sure how well a heavy app like Photoshop would run on the hardware.

The original concepts for the Microsoft Courier are what I was hoping the iPad would be:
    http://gizmodo.com/5365299/courier-f...-secret-tablet

Thanks
    I bet something comparable to photoshop 7,0 would run finely, especially with photo-manipulation functions reduced to minimum.
    and I assume you can get a 3d party stilus separately;
    lack of pressure sensitivity is bad, though.

Thanks
    i don't know. lack of pressure sensitivity is bad but if i get ipad i will primarily use it for sketching and simple color works. the other day i have tested out sketchbook pro mobile on iphone with 3rd party stylus. it was pretty nice. if i can get that with bigger screen i can leave my sketchbook home for good. one thing that is more important than pressure sensitivity is lagging. if i can get ipad running sketchbook pro mobile(version that takes advantage of bigger ipad screen and maybe with better UI) with no lag with brushes. i am all for it.

Thanks
    I really just want wacom to come out with their own allinone Cintiq - ie. a tablet PC designed for artists.

Oh, and twist sensitivity.

Of course Wacom don't have enough competition to seriously consider either of those suggestions. Their tech has just *barely* improved in what, 15 years?

Long term I want a digital paper based mobile cintiq with twist sense and no image/surface displacement - hence digital paper which can do this, along with working well in bright sunlight. Unfortunately however I'll guess Wacom will take another ten years just to get twist sensitivity let alone any of the other things I mentioned.

Meantime it'd be nice to see tablet PCs get good enough to start seriously competing with Wacom in the Cintiq area. I can certainly see Apple bringing out a professional artist grade iPad at some stage given that it suits their reputation and market. The sooner the better.

Thanks
    with tech coming out like the iPad i'm sure wacom will build a similar pressure device that has more hardware inside maybe even standalone, but is there a market for a portable cintiq? i would think most cintiq users would want some sort of hold on their drawing surface. I guess they could make it pop out to travel with but i don't see the mass market.

i thought about dropping the $ for an iPad, i do a ton of photography and it would help on the road but then i realized they need to make an iPad Pro and pressure sensitive would be a huge perk as well as specs higher than the MacBook Air.

when pressure sensitive screens go down in price in a couple years we'll see a lot more options.

Thanks
    "is there a market for a portable cintiq"

I want to paint from life and not be stuck in the studio, but I don't want to carry paints and canvases around the place. So yes, there is probably a market since I doubt I'm the only one.

The biggest problem is sunlight really, using a laptop outdoors on a nice day is bad enough without having to get your colours right. Hence waiting for digital paper to get good as it doesn't need to be backlit.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vijil View Post

I want to paint from life and not be stuck in the studio, but I don't want to carry paints and canvases around the place. So yes, there is probably a market since I doubt I'm the only one.

The biggest problem is sunlight really, using a laptop outdoors on a nice day is bad enough without having to get your colours right. Hence waiting for digital paper to get good as it doesn't need to be backlit.
    Quoted FTW.

I don't care how expensive it would be (As long as it's within reason), I would pay top dollar for a portable cintiq/touchscreen/IPad type device that has pressure sensitivity that I can use at life drawing sessions. There IS a market out there for it, but not sure why it isn't being catered to. Oh well, maybe in 20 years we'll get one *sigh* and I'll be over 40+ years old .

"Never regret thy fall from grace, O' spirit of Icarian flight, for the greatest tragedy of them all to face, is to never feel the burning bright"
    Believe my lies, for I tell the truth about them. Or would you rather me lie about telling the truth?

| Sketchbook | Live Stream | Portfolio | dA | Facebook | Tumblr |

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi Satan View Post
    I'll be over 40+ years old .
    Uuurgh! How horrible!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vijil View Post

I work with a laptop/Intuos4 combo. But a portable tablet computer all in one that I can keep my pictures/music/files and access the internet on? HELL YES!

One can only dream. My only problem with the idea is that it'd be a thief MAGNET.

Thanks
    I was also hopeful to use the IPAD for PS and Painter, until I found out it is a big IPhone! I thought it would at least have a Mac OS and be penabled. The only thing it is competitive with is a Kindle.

So I found a used Motion Computing LE1600 tablet on Ebay and it is great and cheaper than the Apple pad.

John Garrett
    Illustrator-in-training

Thanks
    apple needs to make a modbook and wacom needs a punch in the mouth. the concept of paying $1000 for a 12inch lcd monitor that you can draw on is just freaking stupid. Maybe that price would fly in 2004 when an lcd was very expensive but now when a top quality 24 inch lcd can be bought for $200 - there is no way in hades people should pay close to that much. you can even get a touchsmart for $600 and it has stout computer hardware plus a giant lcd. Why doesn't hp license the wacom pen technology and make a 20 inch touchsmart with the sensitivity of an intuos 4 for $800. I would buy it today. Digital art would experience a renaissance and wacom and HP would make more money than Lorenzo the Magnificent.

Thanks
    "Why doesn't hp license the wacom pen technology and make a 20 inch touchsmart with the sensitivity of an intuos 4 for $800"

Simple, Wacom would never allow HP to use their technology on their own monitors. It would cripple the market for Cintiqs.

But it anyone wants a portable Cintiq to use for life drawing classes, then just get a Tablet PC. Even if your a diehard rabid Mac Fanboy, Photoshop and Corel Painter run exactlly the same on a PC or Mac, and the save files are interchangable.

I take my Lenovo X-61 Tablet PC to life drawing classes in NYC all the time. The 4 hour battery lasts the whole session, and frankly I can't tell the difference in pressure from a Tablet PC and an Intuos 4. To me it feels the same, and I never use the tilt function or key board shortcuts, so its not an issue for me at all. And if Key board shortcuts are that important, you could use USB plug in a keyboard to the Tablet PC.

The sunlight issue is also a problem, but that would plague any screen really, even the IPAD. But I know the Lenoxo X-200 tablet line does have an option for a outdoor viewable display. I'm not sure how good it works, but I've heard good stuff on some reviews.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by darkmagistric View Post
    "Why doesn't hp license the wacom pen technology and make a 20 inch touchsmart with the sensitivity of an intuos 4 for $800"

Simple, Wacom would never allow HP to use their technology on their own monitors. It would cripple the market for Cintiqs.

But it anyone wants a portable Cintiq to use for life drawing classes, then just get a Tablet PC. Even if your a diehard rabid Mac Fanboy, Photoshop and Corel Painter run exactlly the same on a PC or Mac, and the save files are interchangable.

I take my Lenovo X-61 Tablet PC to life drawing classes in NYC all the time. The 4 hour battery lasts the whole session, and frankly I can't tell the difference in pressure from a Tablet PC and an Intuos 4. To me it feels the same, and I never use the tilt function or key board shortcuts, so its not an issue for me at all. And if Key board shortcuts are that important, you could use USB plug in a keyboard to the Tablet PC.

The sunlight issue is also a problem, but that would plague any screen really, even the IPAD. But I know the Lenoxo X-200 tablet line does have an option for a outdoor viewable display. I'm not sure how good it works, but I've heard good stuff on some reviews.
    BTW I can tell the difference between a tablet and an intuos 4. The tablet pc technology that wacom licensed for those clunky underpowered - overpriced notebooks is on par with the graphire 2 that I had a LONG time ago. And those tablets were a complete flop - mainly because they weren't very good. The simple fact is that wacom would make far more money selling a crap load of touchsmarts with wacom touch sensitivity than they do now selling the overpriced - outdated cintiqs. Think of it as wacom taking the MS route in the computer wars of the early 90s. MS made more money than god licensing windows to companies who specialize in computer hardware like HP and not trying to make their own computers.

Last edited by macmcrae; March 4th, 2010 at 01:29 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi Satan View Post
    Quoted FTW.

I don't care how expensive it would be (As long as it's within reason), I would pay top dollar for a portable cintiq/touchscreen/IPad type device that has pressure sensitivity that I can use at life drawing sessions. There IS a market out there for it, but not sure why it isn't being catered to. Oh well, maybe in 20 years we'll get one *sigh* and I'll be over 40+ years old .

http://www.axiotron.com/index.php?id=modbook

Maybe this is what you've been thinking of ? Haven't heard much of it, but it just sounds awesome!

My Sketchbook | My blog

Only lawyers and painters can turn white to black. ~japanese proverb

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by artist71 View Post
    i don't know. lack of pressure sensitivity is bad but if i get ipad i will primarily use it for sketching and simple color works. the other day i have tested out sketchbook pro mobile on iphone with 3rd party stylus. it was pretty nice. if i can get that with bigger screen i can leave my sketchbook home for good. one thing that is more important than pressure sensitivity is lagging. if i can get ipad running sketchbook pro mobile(version that takes advantage of bigger ipad screen and maybe with better UI) with no lag with brushes. i am all for it.
    At last, a good answer.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yiako View Post
    At last, a good answer.
    Because sketching with your finger is ideal?

The ipad could have been an awesome art tool. But it's not.

Last edited by macmcrae; March 4th, 2010 at 06:28 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by macmcrae View Post
    BTW I can tell the difference between a tablet and an intuos 4. The tablet pc technology that wacom licensed for those clunky underpowered - overpriced notebooks is on par with the graphire 2 that I had a LONG time ago. And those tablets were a complete flop - mainly because they weren't very good. The simple fact is that wacom would make far more money selling a crap load of touchsmarts with wacom touch sensitivity than they do now selling the overpriced - outdated cintiqs. Think of it as wacom taking the MS route in the computer wars of the early 90s. MS made more money than god licensing windows to companies who specialize in computer hardware like HP and not trying to make their own computers.
    You can't compare MS liscensing out Windows to Wacom lisecncing out their pen tech. MS made alot of money from liscening out Windows because they had cornered the OS market. For the longest time, Windows was the only game in town, and every computer needs an OS.

But not every computer user needs a wacom pen/touch screen. Only digital artists would really benefit from that, which is a very niche market in the grand scheme of things. If they did liscesne out their tech into HP's touchsmart line, they wouldn't make nearly as much money as they do on selling their own Cintiq. The volume sold just wouldn't justify them liscening their tech out, and since they really have no competition in the penable market, they would have no reason to do so.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.