Sketchbook: Irukandji's Sketchbook
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Irukandji's Sketchbook

I've always meant to make one of these - but my own insecurities have led to taking a while with doing so. I've learned to view my art more objectively and realize criticism is something where I should be trying to get as much as I can.

I'm still an amateur by any definition. Most certainly open to comments and criticisms of any sort. Most of these are referenced in some way, and there's not much here yet, but hopefully more to come.

The colored pieces are sort of old, since I haven't done much color stuff lately, except for the pixel art, which is fairly recent. I don't know if pixel art really belongs here? I'm going to try not to focus on it either way, since I find myself using it a lot as a crutch.

Thanks for looking.

Attached Images Attached Images                                  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some more stuff, mostly hands... Intended to do more but didn't get around to it. Nothing particularly spectacular or imaginative, but hopefully more tomorrow.

Thicker-lined stuff done in PaintTool SAI.

Last edited by Irukandji; January 28th, 2010 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Attachment didn't upload right

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haven't been drawing as much as I should be. >_< Here's some stuff from today and yesterday, though. Happy Valentine's Day.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome to the SB forum. Glad to see another person on the path to improvement. Keep posting; pixel art, too. Art is art regardless of the medium. Digital is just another medium; but you'll still need the fundamentals if you want to make truly good art.

Study, practice, post, repeat = recipe to success

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Traveler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Time to bring this thing back from the dead. A very belated thank you, Traveler

I've been mostly studying color these past few months, and exploring stylization. A piece of advice I once got from this forum is "work on the fundamentals first, then worry about developing a style" - but pure studying ended up frustrating me, and I got irritated at things I couldn't get just right. Just screwing around without worrying much and focusing more on drawing the way I wanted to draw rather than things like anatomy made me enjoy the process of art a lot more.

However, I've been neglecting said studies - they may not be my favorite thing to do but they're not something I can neglect, and as I focus on other areas of art my lack of practice with anatomy and other fundamentals is becoming readily more apparent. So my new years resolution is to use this sketchbook a hell of a lot more, and start getting back to work on those fundamentals I've been ignoring! Anatomy is especially something I need to work on, and drawing, well, more humans. I need improvement in everything, but anatomy is one of my biggest lacking areas, I think...

In the meantime, here's some of the stuff I've done in the past couple of months.

....Lots of pokemon and bugs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some new sketches! Referenced figure drawings and some very poor attempts to draw my cat (in my defense she wasn't keen in staying in one place for long. Not a very good model! I definitely need work with drawing animals though), and some other stuff..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your lines are looking good, especially in the first one in post #5. This may help with your new years resolution: Loomis books online: http://www.fineart.sk/?cat=1
    Keep it up!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to pixel cheetah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the things you do with color.

It would be nice to see some studies from bridgeman or loomis. I know you can find the books by loomis in pdf format online if you do a search. Also, try doing some still life drawings.

Here's my sketchbook!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Blizzard5291 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you both very much. I really appreciate the input - and the link! I've tried reading Loomis and Bridgman before but my eyes sort of glaze over sometimes when trying to study them. Still, I know it's very important stuff so I'm trying to gradually go through it. Proportion is definitely one of my weak spots.

I tried some headcounting stuff yesterday - you can see my proportions ended up pretty off. Gonna give it another try today, but in the meantime here's yesterday's stuff. Some figure drawing from photos and trying to paint a vase from imagination, and a quick colored drawing of a pokemon with some pretty terrible light sources.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.