View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Beating My Addictions

Hello,

Starting today I am going to attempt to regain my life and beat several of my addictions. The two that I will be targeting are my addictions to the Internet and to (online) shopping.

Over the past few years I have become increasingly dependent upon the Internet, to the point were I spend on average hundreds of hours a week on the computer. As a result, there have been a multitude of negative consequences. I barely draw anymore, I practically never read, my social life has literally disintegrated, and my grades and school work have plummeted. All of these are a direct result of my compulsive Internet usage. Instead of doing things that exercise my brain, and things that I used to enjoy extremely much, I waste my life doing utter bullshit on the Internet. My life has been rotting away in front of my eyes.

Through my Internet addiction I have developed many limiting neuroses, the biggest of which is a general fear of human contact. In order to counteract this, I will delete my Facebook account and limit my time spent on the Internet to only one hour a day. This means that I will not spend very much time on this website, or any other. I have even disabled Internet connection on my computer.

I feel that as a result my depression will lighten significantly, and I will hopefully regain purpose in my, essentially, hopeless life.

The second addiction, shopping, more specifically the obsessive consumption of records and CDs, is perhaps more potent as it has significantly impacted the lives of others. I have purchased many records, mostly with borrowed, pocketed, or outright taken money in order to fulfill my need to collect more and more music. I owe my parents hundreds, perhaps even thousands of dollars, and I am at a point where I feel essentially no joy from buying records. Any money that comes into my possession, I spend on records, despite my enormous debt, and I have even gone to the point of not eating in order to spend my lunch money on more music. This contributes to my overall regret when buying music and I feel horrible about my debt to my parents.

When I first started collecting CDs, and eventually records, it was a really big deal when I would buy a new item. It was something that gave a huge amount of joy. When other joy in my life started to decrease, I started buying more and more music because, at that time, it still gave me a lot of pleasure. Now I'm at a point where I don't even normally enjoying buying music, in fact most of the time it's met with remorse. I'm just "doing it" as much as possible to try to "get a high" off of it. It's no different than if I was into crack... I buy records to compromise for what I don't have in life. I love the music and I love records, but I don't kneed to buy as many as I do.

Both of these are true addictions, things that I long to continue and yet serve no benefit upon my life. I hope that you will help me beat both of them.

To my foreign friends, you may contact me via email (of which I will also greatly limit my time) at info @ kobrinkustoms . com (no spaces) or even by phone at [USA dialing code] - (415) - 686 - 7972. In fact, I would encourage you contact me by phone because my extreme discomfort of communicating via telephone is one of the neuroses I have developed over the past few years.

Thank you,
    Jake Kobrin

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to OldJake666 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 438 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I wish you good luck! It's a good thing to set up achievable goals and limit your ability to keep doing the bad things. Do keep us posted on your progress though!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well, good luck! Making a public promise and getting it out there helps, since its easier to "cheat" if you're the only one who knows about your resolution. Be sure to tell your parents and friends as well, since only going public on the interwebs is still "cheating".

I've found that the best way to beat addictions is to "don't fuckin' do it." and replacing bad addictions with more productive ones.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 598 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Buy a Netgear router. Then you'll be lucky if you can get on the f*cking thing at all

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Baron Impossible For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Kobrin View Post
    Hello,

<snip>

To my foreign friends, you may contact me via email (of which I will also greatly limit my time) at info @ kobrinkustoms . com (no spaces) or even by phone at [USA dialing code] - (415) - 686 - 7972. In fact, I would encourage you contact me by phone because my extreme discomfort of communicating via telephone is one of the neuroses I have developed over the past few years.

Thank you,
    Jake Kobrin
    I know someone who will be getting drunk phone calls around 1 or 2 am CST in the near future... Hahaha..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good for you! I too had an addiction to MMORPGs and a fear of phones. I quit cold turkey and started making calls even when I didn't need to (for instance if an email was provided). I've focused myself on things that I deem 'good' for my development (reading books, much more sketchbook drawing, and talking to people face to face) and I feel much better for it. At least, I'm on a better path of life, even if I haven't reached my goals yet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Idleness is a bitch... A total fucking bitch.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 753 Posts
    Follows
    Following

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Farvus For This Useful Post:

Aardvarkphil is offline Stepping into the darkness and finding the next step isn't there
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good for you Jake and good luck.

Check in every now and then and let us know how things are going.

If you need to chat to someone, drop me a PM and we can work out how best to communicate.

Bargue is my friend

Twitter and Facebook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Kobrin View Post
    and I will hopefully regain purpose in my, essentially, hopeless life.
    Life without purpose, without sense ... is essentially hopeful! This is freedom, existence, and, if I dare write so, a major accomplishment of western culture. To bad most people are overburdened by it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had a pretty unproductive day today, in fact I do a lot of days, so thanks Farvus for that Firefox add-on. It should prove to be awesome for catching up with stuff tomorrow (and the days beyond!)

THE ULTIMATE SKETCHGROUP :: g r e d g i e :: m a t t y _ m c m u l l e n :: a n g e l o _ c o r d o n ::
    "Ted, while I agree that, in time, our band will be most triumphant. The truth is, Wyld Stallyns will never be a super band until we have Eddie Van Halen on guitar." - Bill S. Preston, Esquire

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why records and CDs? Isn't it cheaper to use itunes or amazon? Anyway, I don't think it's wise to put up your phone number for all to see.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have an internet addiction since like 10 years ago, many times tried to beat it, never could

I need to be connected more than 6 hours a day, not that I die if I don`t, but it`s a habit that makes me loose too much time that I could use in more important things.

This could be a very good year to do it... how can you, like, limit yourself to use the internet for 3 hours only per day or something? it`s impossible in my mind, it would be awesome if I could.

The Light and Dark Arts of Cristian Saksida
    Portfolio:http://www.chrissaksida.com
    Blog:http://cristiansaksidaarts.blogspot.com
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/crissaksida

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I should follow suit. I spent about 16 hours on the computer if i'm not going to college. And if i am i spend whatever time is left till i sleep on it. I don't even draw much now.
    Stupid youtube, and wiki.

Hope you all the best with with the liberation.

Current Projects:
    3D CyberPunk Characters W.I.P

Bloghttp://z3nzy-fmp.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by aesir
    I fully intend to become rich as fuck through art. How you ask? By being awesome.
    Awesome artists get rich. You guys just don't love art enough to get rich. Maybe if you cared about money more you might have more motivation to get awesome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by That fat kid View Post
    Amusing at best.
    Beating My Addictions

20. The Following User Says Thank You to FourTonMantis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 722 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Retail therapy eh, like woman and shoe’s? Be glad you don't have a credit card.

What records do you buy? Sounds interesting.

----------------------------------
    Scetchbook: View the exhibitionist's stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it's pretty brave of you to just admit all of this in public, and I wish you the best of luck
    Are you going to use this thread to keep us updated, or?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,804 Times in 942 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Good luck Jake, you can do it.

M

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All the best Jake. By the sound of it you've got a nice selection of music. Set yourself an art project where each day you listen to a different CD/Record and draw/paint through the entire time. Title the pieces you create the titles of the CD/Record and then post em up on here. I recon that would make for quite a cool series of works and it kills a few other birds with the same stone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good luck Jake!

Actually, your at a great crossroads now. You have the opportunity to replace one addiction with another (I do believe that is human nature) Make sure you make it a productive one. If I where you, Id take up walking or running every other day. I get some of my best thinking done when my body is on autopilot. So many new ideas on painting and seeing new things.
    Make sure you change routes so you dont get bored. You'll clear your head and be healthier. Spend a hundred bucks on some good running shoes. Then they'll stare at you from the corner wondering why you aren't using them. And most importantly, you wont fuck up your knees like i did.

It will be difficult in the beginning, you'll have to force yourself. but it will be worth it.

[url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

This would be my Pleine Air blog

Thanks
    Thanked 5,793 Times in 1,165 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Tip: Put postit notes EVERYWHERE.

I also had a bit of an addiction with chocolate and other sweets aswell as soda before, not that big but I bought now and then when I wasn't supposed to, and you know sugar makes you lazy and keeps you from being productive. Then one day I forced myself to stop some months ago, and haven't eaten anything containing sugar at all since then! I feel a lot better now and got more stamina for both school and my art-studies. Nowadays when I walk past the candy-section in the stores, I feel nothing. Absolutely nothing. No cravings for chocolate or anything sweet as I used to have when I walked down that section. Sugar really is addictive and dangerous for your health and productiveness.

It is a great feeling being able to beat your addictions.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jake, I've had a similar strain over the last few months. I can't say that the internet is an addiction to me, because I don't have internet at home - only at work, where I'm not suppose to use it - and I don't have much trouble surviving without it. But I do get lazy, especially when I'm down. My remedy has, ironically, been the internet. I've spent extra time at work, watching interviews with people that I admire and that influence my life and reading up sterile wiki articles on things I know fuckall about (everything from abiogenesis to Superstring theory).

In particular, a certain Omar Rodrigues-Lopez Interview gave me a complete change of heart. I'll try find the link some other time. This man is crazy busy. He has, by his own estimates, about 17 unreleased albums which he cannot release all at once (why not, I ask!). He's also set to premiere his first feature film which he executed, essentially, in his spare time. He paints, he composes, he acts, he directs, he's just about one of the most prolific people I've ever come across.

It inspires me, and I would not have been inspired if I didn't see the internet as a tool to further my own knowledge and horizons. As a result I've gone gun-ho and am tackling about 6-7 different projects right now. I feel completely up to it.

Maybe, instead of seeing internet as a pass-time, see it as a tool. If you do this correctly, you'll likely get off the internet and start doing something new and awesome long before your self-imposed alloted daily allowance runs out.

Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD M View Post
    I also had a bit of an addiction with chocolate and other sweets aswell as soda before, not that big but I bought now and then when I wasn't supposed to, and you know sugar makes you lazy and keeps you from being productive. Then one day I forced myself to stop some months ago, and haven't eaten anything containing sugar at all since then! I feel a lot better now and got more stamina for both school and my art-studies. Nowadays when I walk past the candy-section in the stores, I feel nothing. Absolutely nothing. No cravings for chocolate or anything sweet as I used to have when I walked down that section. Sugar really is addictive and dangerous for your health and productiveness.
    Beating My Addictions

30. The Following User Says Thank You to hippl5 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 850 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Thanked 5,793 Times in 1,165 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by hippl5 View Post
    Beating My Addictions
    LOL! That made my day. Thank you hippl5.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to LORD M For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, what great problems to have.

I mean, seriously? You owe your parents thousands? And they still "loan" you money? That's more their fault than yours I suppose; I would be addicted to cd's and free money too.

Dude, if you want to save face when you get out of the teenage angst years, stop posting this kinda crap, for real. Get your parents to send you to a therapist or something. Airing such silly dirty laundry to the community you want to become a professional in, well, it's just no benefit to the future Jake Kobrin.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cotron For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jake, you're a cool kid, man. You gotta realize that and stop beating yourself up all the time and shit.
    it's good that you want to cut back on the unnecessary stuff, though.

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Interceptor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude I feel like cotron made some good points here.

This internet and buying 'addiction' is something most teens of this generation go through, as a consequence of the society we live in. There are so many worse things that you could have an addiction for.

nonetheless, good luck turning things around

Last edited by Jasper_; January 28th, 2010 at 02:59 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    Follows
    Following

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Slash For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.