Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Beating My Addictions

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts

Beating My Addictions

Hello,

Starting today I am going to attempt to regain my life and beat several of my addictions. The two that I will be targeting are my addictions to the Internet and to (online) shopping.

Over the past few years I have become increasingly dependent upon the Internet, to the point were I spend on average hundreds of hours a week on the computer. As a result, there have been a multitude of negative consequences. I barely draw anymore, I practically never read, my social life has literally disintegrated, and my grades and school work have plummeted. All of these are a direct result of my compulsive Internet usage. Instead of doing things that exercise my brain, and things that I used to enjoy extremely much, I waste my life doing utter bullshit on the Internet. My life has been rotting away in front of my eyes.

Through my Internet addiction I have developed many limiting neuroses, the biggest of which is a general fear of human contact. In order to counteract this, I will delete my Facebook account and limit my time spent on the Internet to only one hour a day. This means that I will not spend very much time on this website, or any other. I have even disabled Internet connection on my computer.

I feel that as a result my depression will lighten significantly, and I will hopefully regain purpose in my, essentially, hopeless life.

The second addiction, shopping, more specifically the obsessive consumption of records and CDs, is perhaps more potent as it has significantly impacted the lives of others. I have purchased many records, mostly with borrowed, pocketed, or outright taken money in order to fulfill my need to collect more and more music. I owe my parents hundreds, perhaps even thousands of dollars, and I am at a point where I feel essentially no joy from buying records. Any money that comes into my possession, I spend on records, despite my enormous debt, and I have even gone to the point of not eating in order to spend my lunch money on more music. This contributes to my overall regret when buying music and I feel horrible about my debt to my parents.

When I first started collecting CDs, and eventually records, it was a really big deal when I would buy a new item. It was something that gave a huge amount of joy. When other joy in my life started to decrease, I started buying more and more music because, at that time, it still gave me a lot of pleasure. Now I'm at a point where I don't even normally enjoying buying music, in fact most of the time it's met with remorse. I'm just "doing it" as much as possible to try to "get a high" off of it. It's no different than if I was into crack... I buy records to compromise for what I don't have in life. I love the music and I love records, but I don't kneed to buy as many as I do.

Both of these are true addictions, things that I long to continue and yet serve no benefit upon my life. I hope that you will help me beat both of them.

To my foreign friends, you may contact me via email (of which I will also greatly limit my time) at info @ kobrinkustoms . com (no spaces) or even by phone at [USA dialing code] - (415) - 686 - 7972. In fact, I would encourage you contact me by phone because my extreme discomfort of communicating via telephone is one of the neuroses I have developed over the past few years.

Thank you,
    Jake Kobrin
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to OldJake666 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 438 Posts
    I wish you good luck! It's a good thing to set up achievable goals and limit your ability to keep doing the bad things. Do keep us posted on your progress though!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    Well, good luck! Making a public promise and getting it out there helps, since its easier to "cheat" if you're the only one who knows about your resolution. Be sure to tell your parents and friends as well, since only going public on the interwebs is still "cheating".

I've found that the best way to beat addictions is to "don't fuckin' do it." and replacing bad addictions with more productive ones.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,855 Times in 601 Posts
    Buy a Netgear router. Then you'll be lucky if you can get on the f*cking thing at all

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Baron Impossible For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Kobrin View Post
    Hello,

<snip>

To my foreign friends, you may contact me via email (of which I will also greatly limit my time) at info @ kobrinkustoms . com (no spaces) or even by phone at [USA dialing code] - (415) - 686 - 7972. In fact, I would encourage you contact me by phone because my extreme discomfort of communicating via telephone is one of the neuroses I have developed over the past few years.

Thank you,
    Jake Kobrin
    I know someone who will be getting drunk phone calls around 1 or 2 am CST in the near future... Hahaha..

Thanks
    Good for you! I too had an addiction to MMORPGs and a fear of phones. I quit cold turkey and started making calls even when I didn't need to (for instance if an email was provided). I've focused myself on things that I deem 'good' for my development (reading books, much more sketchbook drawing, and talking to people face to face) and I feel much better for it. At least, I'm on a better path of life, even if I haven't reached my goals yet.

Thanks
    Idleness is a bitch... A total fucking bitch.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 753 Posts

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Farvus For This Useful Post:

Aardvarkphil is offline Stepping into the darkness and finding the next step isn't there
    Thanks
    Good for you Jake and good luck.

Check in every now and then and let us know how things are going.

If you need to chat to someone, drop me a PM and we can work out how best to communicate.
    Bargue is my friend

Twitter and Facebook

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Kobrin View Post
    and I will hopefully regain purpose in my, essentially, hopeless life.
    Life without purpose, without sense ... is essentially hopeful! This is freedom, existence, and, if I dare write so, a major accomplishment of western culture. To bad most people are overburdened by it.

Thanks
    I had a pretty unproductive day today, in fact I do a lot of days, so thanks Farvus for that Firefox add-on. It should prove to be awesome for catching up with stuff tomorrow (and the days beyond!)
    THE ULTIMATE SKETCHGROUP :: g r e d g i e :: m a t t y _ m c m u l l e n :: a n g e l o _ c o r d o n ::
    "Ted, while I agree that, in time, our band will be most triumphant. The truth is, Wyld Stallyns will never be a super band until we have Eddie Van Halen on guitar." - Bill S. Preston, Esquire

Thanks
    Why records and CDs? Isn't it cheaper to use itunes or amazon? Anyway, I don't think it's wise to put up your phone number for all to see.

Thanks
    I have an internet addiction since like 10 years ago, many times tried to beat it, never could

I need to be connected more than 6 hours a day, not that I die if I don`t, but it`s a habit that makes me loose too much time that I could use in more important things.

This could be a very good year to do it... how can you, like, limit yourself to use the internet for 3 hours only per day or something? it`s impossible in my mind, it would be awesome if I could.
    The Light and Dark Arts of Cristian Saksida
    Portfolio:http://www.chrissaksida.com
    Blog:http://cristiansaksidaarts.blogspot.com
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/crissaksida

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast