Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,804 Times in 942 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Impossible View Post
    Same here. It's 10:40pm now and I just realised all I've had to eat today is an olive.
    Same here.
    So don't worry, you will find enough time for art, when you sort things you have to sort out.

M

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 516 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DSillustration View Post
    Anyways, the key to making time for your art is 'neglect'.
    Neglect your friends, your job and your health, and suddenly you'll have much more free time!
    Is it worth it?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Is it worth it?
    I personally think it's worth it in the short term, but not long term (ie: first few years it's ok, but not forever).

Thanks
    I am struggling with these issues at the moment too. This is my day so far:
    5:20am get up for work
    7am - 3pm work
    3pm - 4pm train home
    Then the rest can vary....this usually includes about 2 hours for making food and paying attention to my boyfriend (he can get damanding lol! )....About an hour or two for internet bludging - or keeping my blog up to date (this can take a while sometimes too!)....
    and whatever else time I have left until about 10pm when I have to go to bed otherwise I'm way too tired for anything.....well that time is for drawing.
    And the time on the train...
    This usually amounts to about an hour a day, if that. Sometimes more...On weekends there are social things to do and going out and paying more attention to my boyfriend.

I already don't do any exercise cos honestly there really isn't time for that...and I'm not an overly social person in the first place so there doesn't really need to be any sacrifices made there.

Overall, I think the biggest thing that has helped is telling myself I have to draw something every day. Even if it's only ten minutes sketching something random.....And now I've got the habit up, even when I'm feeling super lazy I still manage to get something out cos the urge is there.

Though I'm not the most productive artist out there....Really wish I didn't have to work and commute and cook etc (though I do love the boyfriend hehe).

Kitty's Drawings - My blog!

I have a Sketchbook now ---> SKETCHY!!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,091 Times in 2,481 Posts
    I know people are half kidding about ignoring other people in your life for art...but if you make it a non negotiable process you will lose the people who don't understand by attrition and attract the people who are supportive.
    I always think of my art as the power to an elctromagnet (me) when I live my art the power of it attracts the right people and pushes away the others. I don't have to be mean or anything, I just don't compromise my art. I still have plenty of friends, someone who loves me the way I am and I get paid to do what I want.
    I spent a lot of time trying to help people who didn't know what they wanted from life until I decided it wasn't my job to rescue them from themselves while they stayed comfortably numb.
    Art is hard and it takes a long time to get good at it for most people. All choices have consequences, many times they have unforseeable ones and many people make bad choices they can't escape in life but you dont have to sink with them. Do what you want to the exclusion of everything else if thats what it takes and maybe that will inspire others to do the same. I think in the end that is better for everyone.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,793 Times in 1,165 Posts
    I try to find time for art any time of the day. When on the bus to the university - I draw. When in class and not intressted in some boring lecture - I draw. When during breaks if I don't talk to my friends - I draw. And since there are statues close to where I study I force myself to go there after school and do studies after them. And then when I get home I try and spend my free time on art. I know it takes a lot of time and practise to get good at it, and the more you do of it each day, maybe the more you progress I think.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    I know people are half kidding about ignoring other people in your life for art...but if you make it a non negotiable process you will lose the people who don't understand by attrition and attract the people who are supportive.
    I always think of my art as the power to an elctromagnet (me) when I live my art the power of it attracts the right people and pushes away the others. I don't have to be mean or anything, I just don't compromise my art. I still have plenty of friends, someone who loves me the way I am and I get paid to do what I want.
    I spent a lot of time trying to help people who didn't know what they wanted from life until I decided it wasn't my job to rescue them from themselves while they stayed comfortably numb.
    Art is hard and it takes a long time to get good at it for most people. All choices have consequences, many times they have unforseeable ones and many people make bad choices they can't escape in life but you dont have to sink with them. Do what you want to the exclusion of everything else if thats what it takes and maybe that will inspire others to do the same. I think in the end that is better for everyone.
    For about two years I did do this, but I neglected everything else, and I mean absolutely everything: My family, my school, my health and hygiene, in favor of twenty hour drawing marathons. Or I would cycle through soundtracks, just envisioning ideas. It was awesome, but that's my raw passion. I feel like I'm at a point where I have to take that passion and squeeze it into a workable career to become someone respectable. Maybe it's just a transitional phase while I get a handle on adult life. I fear losing my artistic drive, but I also fear not being able to promote myself and learn properly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.