Thanks

2010 Detroit Auto Show

I went to the 2009 Detroit Auto Show last year and it is pretty hard to describe to you just how depressing it was. Walking around in a dank smelly building with a leaky roof (Cobo hall was in desperate need of renovation at the time) pretty much ruined the whole experience, and the shows few highlights like the Ford Festiva and Cadillac Converj concept car didn't make me feel any better. This was just a few months before GM and Chrystler filed for bankrupcy, and it didn't look like Ford was all that far behind them. It certainly didn't help that the Douchbag bregade filed into the show and started harassing the GM and Chrystler models about the government loans. I could go on, but I think its pretty clear just how big a bummer it was.

Anyways, last week I got some tickets and went with a few buddies. I was pleasantly surprised by what I found, not only was the building istelf in much better shape (no more funny smells or leaky ceilings), but there were a lot of impressive displays, check out Ford's Booth:
    Attachment 888443

There were also a lot of really impressive cars. I snapped a number of pictures of some of my personal favorites on my phone with the intention of posting them, then I realized there were better pictures already online, so I just grabbed some off Autoblog.

First, what is probably the most important car of the show, at least for me
    Attachment 888440
    This is the new ford Focus, which should be available within a year or so (the actual date escapes me, sorry). Its a beautiful little hatchback, vastly superior to the models that came before. Hell, even the Sedan version looked pretty good.

Attachment 888442
    The only reason Buick still exists as a brand is because the Chinese love the damn things. This is the new Buick Regal, and I can honestly say this is the first Buick I've ever seen that held my attention for more than a split second.

Attachment 888444
    The GMC Granite concept car won the Eye on Design Award for being kind of like the Scion XB, just considerably less hideos. Seriously though, this is neat car that marks would mark a major departure for GMC if it ever goes into production (I wouldn't hold your breath).

Attachment 888445
    Attachment 888446
    And then there are the Caddies. I was disappointed by the fact that they didn't have the beautiful Cadillac Converj concept car there this year, but CTS-V coupe (top), and XTS Concept (bottom) helped fill the void. The CTS-V Coupe gives you 556 HP is a stylish Coupe form as opposed to the 4 door currently on the market. The XTS, even though its just a concept, is the Rumored replacement for both the DTS and STS large Sedans currently on the market (the DTS and STS sedans are both very bland and in desperate need of replacement). Whats more, the concept is a Lithium Ion Hybrid. Why? I have no idea, but its still cool.

I don't know if you guys give two shits about this stuff, but I figured I might as well bring this up.
    Remember, just because you have their attention doesn't mean you have their respect-Dale Gribble (from King of the Hill)
    Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to wiggum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I went to the Montreal Auto Show last week as a total newbie. I was expecting a design heavy show with prototypes, etc. and was a little disappointed (well there were 2 or 3 and they were awesome but.). It felt more like a giant car mart where you could hop in and compare. Anyhow, after voicing my feeling, I was told that the Detroit show would be more what I was looking forward to. Any truth to that you reckon?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by egerie View Post
    I went to the Montreal Auto Show last week as a total newbie. I was expecting a design heavy show with prototypes, etc. and was a little disappointed (well there were 2 or 3 and they were awesome but.). It felt more like a giant car mart where you could hop in and compare. Anyhow, after voicing my feeling, I was told that the Detroit show would be more what I was looking forward to. Any truth to that you reckon?

I would say so, in the lobby they had some award winning design models from The College for Creative Studies, and a few other cool things like a Saleen display.

I have noticed a lot of automakers pulling back from really "Crazy" concept vehicles. I imagine this has at least a little to do with the ecomomy, I can certainly understand why automakers would be reluctant to spend their limited resources on vehicles that will likely never make it through to production in any way, shape or form.

By way of example, the last show I went to before last year was 2002. In that year Chrytler created the Tomahawk (probably not spelled right), which was basically a huge Corvette engine shoved onto a motorcycle frame. Theoretically it was capable of speeds in access of 300 mph (it was also theoretically impossible to stay on the thing if it was going that fast).

By contrast this year the most striking concept vehicle was the GMC Granite, and the only reason that was really striking is because its like half the size of anything else in that particular brand, and it appears like it would be worth buying.

I will say it was lot of fun though, the Ford booth in particular was really cool. It even had some industrial robots showing off (there is something about watching a couple of 5-ton industrial monstrosities attempt to "dance" that makes my heart smile).
    Remember, just because you have their attention doesn't mean you have their respect-Dale Gribble (from King of the Hill)
    Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wiggum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for posting this thread. It brings back memories!

My family moved to Detroit when I was four and every year as far back as I can remember my dad would take me to the auto show. I would spend forever looking at all the cars, getting into the ones with unlocked doors, trying all the buttons, feeling how comfortable the seats were.. just trying to discern what the newest features were and how each manufacturer tried to the top the others.

I remember looking in awe at all the concept vehicles, I would come home with a bag full of pamphlets on the concepts cars and then would spend hours drawing my own versions.

It's been quite some time since I've last gone and from your report on the previous year it does sound a bit depressing but hopefully it sounds like things are picking up again. To me the auto show feels like an instituion and it would be a shame for it to go the way of things like the Detroit Grand Prix, etc...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aefx View Post
    Thanks for posting this thread. It brings back memories!

My family moved to Detroit when I was four and every year as far back as I can remember my dad would take me to the auto show. I would spend forever looking at all the cars, getting into the ones with unlocked doors, trying all the buttons, feeling how comfortable the seats were.. just trying to discern what the newest features were and how each manufacturer tried to the top the others.

I remember looking in awe at all the concept vehicles, I would come home with a bag full of pamphlets on the concepts cars and then would spend hours drawing my own versions.

It's been quite some time since I've last gone and from your report on the previous year it does sound a bit depressing but hopefully it sounds like things are picking up again. To me the auto show feels like an instituion and it would be a shame for it to go the way of things like the Detroit Grand Prix, etc...
    Loosing the grand prix did suck, but it looks like the Auto Show is safe into the forseeable future. They finally got the money situated to fix up Cobo Hall, and that Jackass motherfucker who kept talking about moving it to the Suburbs has finally shut his mouth.

I'm pretty young, so this whole "cautious optimism about Detroit's future" thing is still very new to me. I can't remember a single time in my life that there was really anything substantial to look forward to, but just look what Ford's managed to accomplish!

Depsite everything thats been happening there is a realistic possibility that Ford will actual show a profit for 2009. And there auto show booth was friggin' nuts, it took up like 30 percent of the entire show floor.
    Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook