Sketchbook: Pinkish SB

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Pinkish SB

Thanks

Pinkish SB

Hi
    I'm Vanessa or as some people call me Ellie over my deep fondness over Ellis in L4D2. I'm 20 and might be starting at AIonline in FEB for Graphic Design. I'm still excited even though I've been hearing a LOT of bad reviews. I work part time and don't do much in the other time.

Thought I'd get in on the fun of this. I need opinions and on DA I just get -
    • "Nice work"'s and "cool". I wanna know what I can do to get better.
    • My Knowledge of anatomy needs improvement
    • My coloring/blending needs improvement
    • I SUCK AT DRAWING/PAINTING/DOODLING hands. It's awful. Most cases I'll just hide them.
    • I need to pace myself, I generally want to finish pieces, so I don't work as much as I should on details. (NEEDS TO CHANGE)
    • I can't do backgrounds. I just don't know what to do for it usually and it sucks because I know it'd be so much better if I did them.

Enough chit chat! The first three are what I am doing now. The others are overtime from Sept 09'

[I hope I didn't over do the typing ]

Attached Images Attached Images                            
    Last edited by Pinkish; January 27th, 2010 at 12:06 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Finished: I feel like it's incomplete still though...meh

Thanks
    Quick sketches from stock photos.

Thanks
    Just some studying with skin tones.

Virtual Pose is amazing for studying anatomy!

Thanks
    Interesting imagination. Do you look at the stars alot and dream?

Thanks
    Hello Vanessa,

I may not be the best person to give advices, as I struggle with the same issues as you do, but I will share what I have learned from this great community.

I think there are many aspects to help improve one’s work. I think the first step is to really wish for it and be able to sacrifice your time and will for it, you have to make drawing a daily habit. It doesn’t matter if it’s anatomy / pose study or just random sketches from your head.
    One other important aspect I think it’s the ability to be a good critic of your work. You have to overcome both feelings of ‘ohh this drawing / painting of mine is just great, im perfect’ and ‘ God, I suck at this’, and try to see beyond that so you can understand what can you improve, where are the mistakes and what can you learn from every piece you create.
    The rest, I just think it comes with experience, especially as I can see you have a creative eye and a soft sense of understanding substance.

Anatomy is very important and you have to master it to be able improve the overall work. One might know how to color very well, but if the anatomy is lacking, it will be visible for sure. And that goes for more than anatomy: structure, perspective...etc. Just like the foundation of a building, if it’s crappy, the building will fall no matter if it has shiny decorations .
    You can find tons of anatomy studies / books around the internet, get them and start drawing.

For blending I can just say practice will make it better, as for coloring, try to understand the color theory and experiment with it.

For hands improvement, you have the most easiest 'tool' to improve: your hands . Draw them every day and it will definitely help. Also, grab some anatomy book and study how the bones of the hand come together, I know this helped me a lot when I was seriously struggling with hands.

That’s all I can say for now and I think I might copy / paste this to my SB and maybe even listen to my own advices .

Just keep up the work and things will go smoothly. I will follow your SB with great interest.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to S.Elena For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @S.Elena That has been a very helpful response. I was going to go do some shopping at AI Friedman, but found some books about color. They're mainly for pastels and non-digital media's, but I imagine I can incorporate some of the techniques. I have definitely saved your post in Word and shall keep it has a pick me up! Thank you so much!

@Danlucas haha, when there are stars I do gaze from my window because I get an amazing view of my town. I do a lot of fantasy work i think mainly because I get a lot of nightmares. Such a childish word, i know, but I get really vivid and f'd up dreams, even when I am in the happiest of moods. [Which is about every day. Strange. Yep.] Maybe I should start drawing those instead? haha.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 917 Posts
    Welcome to CA great start for your sketchbook
    If you dont already you should get your hands on some Loomis/Bridgemen figure drawing books. You can find some free PDF book on the net
    right now i would work on your construction once you have your contruction down rendering will fall into place alot easier.
    just keep at it study everyday, study everything that looks cool to you, old masters, photos, life and also dont be afraid to study your favorite artists aswell.
    looking forward to seeing your art journey hope i could offer some useful advice
    have a good one
    -Jamie

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jamie Romoser For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @OmertA Thank you so much. I just google'd the names and found an amazing page with free digital books! I look forward to the reading them!

[Where I got them - Loomis ]

Thanks
    My first Digital Portrait. And I chose Selena Gomez as my model.

Original - http://katieandkarleigh.com/Portals/...lena-gomez.jpg

Last edited by Pinkish; February 2nd, 2010 at 11:28 PM.

Thanks
    Beautiful sketchbook!!!
    This last picture came out very good.
    Keep practicing.
    Cheers.

"Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six"

Blog

Sketchbook

Deviant

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.