Thanks

How did YOU know whether art was Right For You?

Well?

What about the doubts? (How'd you deal with them?)

(Especially if you tend to be--or at least know you could have been--a Jack of Several Trades or are just plain iffy about your interests in general.)

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kuroyue For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,137 Times in 399 Posts
    Its right for me because I did art before I even knew what it was. Instinctual.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Krane For This Useful Post:

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    It was between art and nuclear physics. When I mentioned the choices to my family, they thought about my fascination with blowing things up and unanimously recommended art...
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    When I realized that I sucked at other things

Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 723 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crane View Post
    Its right for me because I did art before I even knew what it was. Instinctual.
    Same. It's just what I've always done, and always will do.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ian Barker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I always did it, but wanted to be a pilot for the airforce, it turns out I was red/green color blind. So, I thought hey I love art, movies, animation, and games so why not do that for a living?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,794 Times in 1,166 Posts
    I have studied biology for soon 4 years, I was planning to work with that in the future. I didn't think it was any possibility that I would ever have art as a job in the future cause of my lack of skills, but then I saw people like MinCandyMan and Algenpfleger and watched a friend get a lot better druing a 2 years period, and then I started realising it was possible if I just worked hard enough. It was first some months ago I realised I wanted to work with art instead of biology, and I started studying because I have never really studied for real. I have tired on biology, there's no way I can work with it in the future, yet these years feel like a waste if I might not. But some people I know have told me that I should go with what makes me happy and what feels right, and then I feel I want do do art because I love doing it more then anything else.
    Last edited by LORD M; January 25th, 2010 at 04:15 AM.
    "I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightblue View Post
    When I realized that I sucked at other things
    Art was harder than everything else for me
    Hard as it is, i kept on pursuing on it
    But i wouldn't dare call myself an artist though

Thanks
    I always disliked art until I was 14. Then I started to draw to teach myself how to animate, then I realized that drawing and painting is really really really hard, and I decided that this would be a worthy life long pursuit. Since then, I've fallen in love with art and the process of studying and picture making. I've wondered if any other artists out there did anything like I did... going from actively avoiding art and even hating it, to wanting to do it as a career and past time. Two years ago I wouldn't have dreamed I'd be doing what I am now...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Guess I'll find out just before I croak.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Costau View Post
    I always did it, but wanted to be a pilot for the airforce, it turns out I was red/green color blind. So, I thought hey I love art, movies, animation, and games so why not do that for a living?
    Hi five, pilot-dreams-crushed-by-colour-blindness-buddy!

I went down the science route for a while before that all went to hell (not my fault - our teacher got himself into trouble, disappeared and was never replaced - everyone failed first year of a-levels. Such a waste of time, I quit) Art was my third choice and pretty much all I'm left with at this point! Not saying it's a bad thing, I love it. I'm just not making as many real life cyborgs as I'd hoped.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 474 Posts
    Putting my pencil to paper for the first time was like pulling Excalibur from the stone.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Dusty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    When i realized my skill was fast evolving. But mainly when i invented my first world or "project" in adult terms. I went through inventing the setting, the plot, characters and even their personalities.. And even though that didn't prompt much confidence in my writing or story telling skills, it did made me appreciate my visual imagination and did motivate me to learn various graphic software to expand my creativity.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,362 Times in 1,214 Posts
    I knew art was perfect for me when I realized I was a masochist.
    *** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Thanked 1,922 Times in 838 Posts
    To be honest I've been in doubt for a long time. At the same time I've been doing it since as far as I can remember. I was allways the kid in school who was 'good at drawing'. Just when high school was over I had no idea what I wanted to do. As well as having some other personal problems... So I spent a long time thinking about it and also looking at my art thinking, crap, I'm never gonna get better than this. And that was when I found this site! And well, today it feels pretty clear. Drawing is what I do.

"then I realized that drawing and painting is really really really hard, and I decided that this would be a worthy life long pursuit."

Hehe, cool attitude
    "I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    Look at the back of my math book. >_> I couldn't stop!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    I AM a Jill of all Trades!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlightedArt View Post
    Look at the back of my math book. >_> I couldn't stop!
    Haha same! I drew a portrait on the inside of a history book once, and the class was debating the teacher for it to not be erased. It got a little out of hand.

Sometimes I wouldn't turn in class assignments because I doodled on them to the point where you wouldn't know it was an assignment. Teachers would get so pissed.
    Last edited by Ryan K; January 25th, 2010 at 07:44 PM.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan K For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 686 Posts
    It was either illustration, novelist, pianist (jazz), sculptor, or singer.

I chose something to be obsessive/complusive about.

I sucked for awhile at illustration & ran with novelist. Never stopped drawing, got better, switched gears back to illustrator.
    "Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Thanked 1,192 Times in 516 Posts
    When I went to a state university as a business major I took some drawing classes as electives. I thought that it meant something that I could outdraw the art majors. Unfortunately it meant that that university had a bad art school.

Thanks
    hanging out in my buddies basement drawing pictures of cool stuff for a comic book he wanted to draw reaffirmed my love of it, and drawing scary scenes of violence and monsters and demons and stuff to watch the other kids in class cringe and the teacher get a worried expression on her face established it.
    Sepulverture's Sketchbook Page 1 Page 19
    Sepulvertures Extended Studies Page 1
    page 2

Tutorials Tips and Tricks needs you to stay alive!"

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Sepulverture For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 686 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sepulverture View Post
    hanging out in my buddies basement drawing pictures of cool stuff for a comic book he wanted to draw reaffirmed my love of it, and drawing scary scenes of violence and monsters and demons and stuff to watch the other kids in class cringe and the teacher get a worried expression on her face established it.
    Nice!
    "Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    I found out art was for me when I became fascinated about it and enjoyed doing it.

Thanks
    To be honest, I don't know. In fact, I don't even know what I really want to do with my life, and I envy people who already figured it out.
    But for the time being, I just don't want to sit still and waste my time, and art comes closest to what I've wanted to do the most.

Thanks
    I still don't know if it's right for me. But I can't think of anything better right now.

Thanks
    I knew it was for me since I was able to see (I was about 2 or 3 years old). It was ALWAYS the thing I wanted to do when I grew up. I would be creating things in some way, making stories, acting out ideas, etc. I was also adept with computers around that age and I'm using those enough as well! XD Singing...same thing. I'm not a jack-of-all-trades with these. Just a bit better, but sometimes I still wonder at times if I should bother. Then I continue regardless...I guess because I still feel the deep passion to do those things and more.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.