What it takes.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: What it takes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

What it takes.

Hi, My name is Luke and i just have a few question to ask for anyone who is in the concept art business, freelance or employed. I need to know what it takes to become an established concept artist, and what someone should expect when trying to break into this field. I would love to see what people say, and what some of their personal experiences were when first starting.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yo, welcome,
    theres a lot of topics about this question, so it say take a look around on the forums, and you''l find a lot of useful text.
    basically it takes a lot of drawing and hard work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And creativity, of course.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good marketing skills can't hurt you either.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thats was pretty much fantastic, i have to write to paper on the subject and you all gave me my 3 point outline. Perfect.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also, contacts. Know the right people.

Beyond just being an awesome artist it pays to understand the concept art pipeline as well - get used to working fast and doing loads of rough silhouettes and ideas before committing to a final illustration. Someone who gets stuck into details early will have a steep learning curve when they go into a studio. I'm kindof in that position - I'm finding it hard not to finish drawings when I should really be moving on. The boss is implying that I should be putting out more spam. Another artist here is in the opposite predicament - unable to really finish stuff to a good standard, stuck doing millions of silhouettes. Between us we get by however

Last edited by vijil; January 24th, 2010 at 11:01 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it takes 30% skill, 50% creativity, 20% socializing.. Why creativity's the big one, it's because with the evolution of video game and movie industry, the market is so saturated with skilled artists of old and new generations that to get noticed you need a striking vision over skill. Your portfolio has to showcase it, since it is your personal expression of what's in your brain. And you will most likely apply that personal expression to professional projects other people want you to do.

However that's only theoretical. I know people who got jobs solely because their friend or relative was one of the huncho's in a company. Or because they were the only ones with a juicy education, unlike others who might have been way more talented and creative, but didn't have the paper. You'll never know, reality is chaotic that way.

In my personal experienced in trying to get my foot in the door, i found the only thing i can do is spam as many employers as i can and hope one of them baits. And blind hope is all i have, since HR people are a useless bunch that won't ever directly refuse you or tell you why you got refused. And employers couldn't even bother less because they are to busy (same employers that would probably hire you on the spot if only you happened to have your portfolio in their face during their lunch break.) Keep in mind though, i'm in Canada. U.S has way more appropriate employers therefore more chances.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A pencil in your hand and desire in your heart.

Crit for a crit!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.