Character Development
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Character Development

So this is part of a collab I'm doing with a friend of mine, so far I've done the tonal study of the character that gives an impression of the theme and feel of the character.
    It's some kind of demon-god thing of a non-human nature, one of immense power hidden behind an eerie placidity.
    Colours are probably going to be desaturated reds and yellows in the background with far cooler more saturated hues of blue around the focal point and detail.
    Any suggestions of how to push this further would be greatly appreciated. I've tried it in a few other poses but this one seems to have the strongest ominous and foreboding feel to it.

Name:  230110.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  110.7 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 690 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'd work on your wings a bit. The skull thing looks really cool and pretty realistically rendered, but the wings look like you did no research on them at all. I'm not saying you should make them 100% realistic, but they could use a more believable structure and a lot more (and smaller) feathers.

I really like the mood of the pic though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is far far too much black in this image. If you hang around here long enough you see plenty of people doing the same thing.

The head looks a little too small for the size of the body. I'd agree with Lhune about the wings also.

It's coming along.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ScottDotNet View Post
    There is far far too much black in this image. If you hang around here long enough you see plenty of people doing the same thing...
    this may be the case but as far as I can tell it'd be pretty hard to get the same level of contrast and this mood without it, right?

and thanks, you're both right, those wings definitely need actual referencing rather than just blocking them out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Have you changed the image since the last comment?

I am looking at it on another monitor and it looks a lot better (less black). If not disregard my comments. :p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Normally massive amount of black doesn't work in most character design since alot of the details will be lost in when it comes to making the character in a 3d model. But in this case I think it work better with the value patter you have set up in the background and specific details really doesn't matter as much as the overall mood. It'll be really cool to see some smoke texture come out of the bottom of the character.

"He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and compass and never knows where he may cast." -Leonardo da Vinci

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Put some kind of luminescent or reflective smoke at his feet and bounce light off of it into all that dead black space.

As for the design, details my man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ScottDotNet: no i havent updated the picture on here since the last comment, must be the monitor, but i printed it out earlier adn it came out more grey than it looks as well so who knows whats going on, but i agree, it does look a bit better with a lighter value, which i can work detail into.

Also, Jack and D.aligh, i think you might have a good point there, that smoke would certainly fit with whats going on to his sides at the bottom.

At the moment though, im trying to make those wings look more believable, and seriously hitting a brick wall at every turn to get the same kind of foreboding feel these ones give...any suggestions?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To elaborate on the wings...
    I find them foreboding in a sense that they are huge, dark and enveloping. On the other hand, they aren't very developed. If you look at a bird's wing (Google Image one) you see they have more than one layer of feathers on each wing, which helps them fly. While this demon doesn't seem like the flying type, he must be believable all the same.
    Of course, he doesn't want prefect angel wings otherwise you lose the forebding mood. Make the feathers look ruffled like they haven't been cleaned in a while so they stick out at slightly odd angles like an unkempt animal. Some could be greasy, others bent, others losing most of the featherness, leaving the stalks behind.
    This should get some detail into your piece and add some wieght and realisticness to the wings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Spikings: I get what youre saying, but thats something i prob should have mentioned, i have been looking at loads of references and whenever i try adn make them look more realistic or believable, they lose all the sense of power and the framing they create...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe you should start of by practicing doing feathers on their own as opposed to on the piece. Use references of single feathers as opposed to entire wings. Get the feel for the shape, the texture, the lighting and where each bit shoots off to. They don't have to be extra detailed, just 2-3 min sketches. Give them different grayscales and tweak around the contrasts.
    Once you got the hang of the basic feather, experiment. You want them to be dark, wretched and surrounding the viewer, not light, clean and fluffy. Mess around with the shape, the size and the angles.
    You need a base to start upon - for the bottom set of wings, you don't need to make it obvious that there are more feathers there. Just silouhette (sp?) them, and make it look like there are many. The upper wings need some more foundation to them though.

Give it a shot. Being able to draw feathers well is just as good as being able to draw anything else. Might help you in the future.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Spikings For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    more development on the wings and a tiny bit of tweaking in the foreground

Name:  230110.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  102.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's better. I'd still brighten up that fog and get more light reflecting into the body of the creature.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    more tweaking

Name:  270110.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  186.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know I should be critquing here, but I'm really gobsmacked at this, I bloody love it. Heck, I'd maybe even buy it as a print.

Onto critique.
    I'd personally put some form of scale in there. I can imagine this demonesque creature being larger than most planets, with the earth being the size of a beachball to him. Or maybe smaller and only taller than the highest mountains. Adding some form of focal point at the bottom could help out, but I just love it anyways.
    Do you have a DA account you can link me to?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The texture helps but what's wrong with getting some light and detail in that center mass?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Agreed with the above post. The texture is really cool, but the negative black space in the center is just too much. Just a little detail, something, anything, to break up that dark space.

I like this piece so much.

-Dread_Reaper

Dread_Reaper's (HORRIBLY OUTDATED) Book of Darkness and Stuff

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=119607

Current Threads:

DIABLO III fan art
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=275543

Also check out my new website!

http://nickgilliland.daportfolio.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Something else I'm working on now is this...environment I guess.
    Based on the after life and judgement:

Name:  Judgement.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  439.1 KB

and yes, ive just noticed those shadows in the upper section of the acrchway from the gate are all wrong so ive sorted them out now

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    coloured:

Name:  Judgement.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  303.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's hard to see the figure at the bottom when you compare it to the grandeur of what's above - if the figure is important to the piece, it might be better to make her larger or darker so that the eyes travel there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Something new...

Sorry I haven't been posting on here for a while, I guess it's been one of those things that just slip your mind from time to time. Anyway here's a little WIP.
    there's a front view to come as well, being as it's a character design/development. This is just what I've rendered for it so far with some detail shots.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

New WIP!!!

New WIP. It's a rework...sort of...of an old work I did ages ago that's not on here cuz it's a bit rubbish. Suffice it to say everything but the subject has changed - the perspective, the colours blah blah blah.

Couple things I'm wondering about though, does it look like a confrontation to you or more like the guys summoning the beast? I'm unsure about the composition of the dragon, so I can't decide. I mean there's going to be some effects once it's done so it looks like the dragons really putting out a powerful roar or something, but as it is now...what do you guys think?
    Should the dragon be coming more from the front/side of the character, or as he is, almost form behind?

Anyway, a couple hours on the main char.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the mixing of warms and cools in this one.

It looks to me like the dragon is a summon, or is the main character's companion and they're readying for battle. The main character's face doesn't really indicate "OMG DRAGON" or aggression; my interpretation of the narrative here is that he's saying, "You ready?" and the dragon is roaring in reply.

If you're going for a SURPRISE DRAGON! scenario, you could try turning the dragon's head so that he's in a more side or three-quarters view, facing the main character more than he's facing the viewer. You could lengthen the neck a bit too, so he's still coming from behind the main character but is in the act of snaking his head around and looking down at him. It would also make a nice shape that would cause the viewer to follow the dragon's neck, to his head, to the main character.

Hope you don't mind the paintover...

Attached Images Attached Images  

My WIP | My CA Sketchbook | My Sketch Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Rabbitstew, I know what you mean, though you make the companionship theme seem quite enticing, I dont know whether to go with that now or alter the position of the dragon and the guys face...maybe ill toss a coin for it thanks for the comment!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.