Where do you look for inspiration?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Dorkthrone is offline The skyline was beautiful on fire. Level 12 Gladiator: Laqueatores
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Where do you look for inspiration?

What sources, artistic or no, do you find really help you come up with ideas?

Personally, I usually like looking at pictures of space and of strange animals.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I get inspired when looking at work in progress art here on CA, and I also love freshcharacters.com. Really nice site with lots of different type of styles

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marietl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 376 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Bank statements, bills and life expectancy statistics.

In the future, everyone will have 15 minutes of privacy.

Portfolio
    Sketchblog
    Facebook art page

5. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to squidmonk3j For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It usually randomly hits me. It can be the most mundane everyday things. I rarely find it if I'm specifically out for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love observing animals, so I recently got inspiration from a pair of gerbils my boyfriend keeps. They're so springy and stretchy! I also love to look at other people's styles and methods of working so that I can try it out in my own work. Oh! And I get insipration from the weather, my tutors, my boyfriend...Anything! ^^;

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think if you're looking for inspiration, you're doing it wrong. Inspiration should find you, not the other way around. I've made a point the last few years to follow this rule.

That said, inspiration often comes when you least expect it.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldJake666 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Kobrin View Post
    I think if you're looking for inspiration, you're doing it wrong. Inspiration should find you, not the other way around.
    Why? You decide to wait, you wait forever. Why wait when you can just... take?

What do we need inspiration for anyways... to draw another naked chick, one more giant robot, and to be the 100th person to draw a magic city in the skies?

Inspiration is probably fiction.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Either outside at the world or here. I might take a gander over at http://www.gorillaartfare.com or http://www.characterdesigns.com . Hell, even http://www.cgtalk.com has a couple really good artists

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another good source of inspiration is creepy toddler programs. They all seem to be made by hippies on LSD. I mean, have you SEEN "In the Night Garden"?! Trippy as hell...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Amateurs look for inspiration; the rest of us just get up and go to work. (Chuck Close)

Inspiration comes from doing. (Robert Genn)

If you only paint on those days when you feel like it, you're effectively putting up a notice on your easel saying, "Out - back when I feel like it." (Marion Boddy-Evans)

People who are not artists often feel that artists are inspired. But if you work at your art you don't have time to be inspired. (John Cage)

Inspiration is a byproduct of discipline... simply getting up everyday and planning, plotting, sketching, setting up or actually applying paint to a painting. (Beverly Claridge)

Stop. Breathe. Allow yourself the luxury of doing nothing for a moment, or an hour, or even a day. It is in emptiness that inspiration will appear. (Carole Katchen)

The longing to produce great inspirations didn't produce anything but more longing. (Sophie Kerr)

You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. (Jack London)

~You should never doubt what nobody is sure about~

Demo's Digital Damsels

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Demo For This Useful Post:

hunchback is offline I disagree! PENIS! TACO! CHEWBACCA!
    Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hunchback For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There are some really quotes in that lot Demo!

Thanks a lot.

Inspiration is I think planning and pushing your mind down a road it doesnt want to go, struggling like hell with the problem and thinking "THATS IT!! ITS ALL &%*#@!" I'm going for a coffee.

And then in that serene moment when the caffiene soaks in to your system you think ahhhhh! and inspiration lands.

You got to want it before you find it, and like everything else in your mind it isnt where you left it last time!!

Thanks Lightship69

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,580 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I stuff dryer lint into my beard and set fire to it.

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,374 Times in 3,595 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae View Post
    I stuff dryer lint into my beard and set fire to it.
    You should put this under your pictures in the Draw from the What Does Everyone Look Like thread. I'm now inspired, but you might have to wait a bit.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    when i need some inspiration i usually read this story which i found from internet.
    Yes here read about Harland Sanders, who was born in Henryville, Indiana. His father died when he was six years old, and since his mother worked, he was required to cook for his family. He dropped out of school in seventh grade. During his teen years, Sanders worked many jobs, including steamboat driver, insurance salesman, railroad fireman, farmer, and enlisted in the Army as a private in 1918, although he spent his entire service in Cuba.

At the age of 40, Sanders cooked chicken dishes and other meals for people who stopped at his service station in Corbin, Kentucky. Since he did not have a restaurant, he served customers in his living quarters in the service station.

Eventually, his local popularity grew, and Sanders moved to a motel and restaurant that seated 142 people and worked as the chef. Over the next nine years, he perfected his method of cooking chicken. Furthermore, he made use of a pressure fryer that allowed the chicken to be cooked much faster than by pan-frying.

He was given the honorary title "Kentucky Colonel" in 1935 by Governor Ruby Laffoon. Sanders chose to call himself "Colonel" and to dress in a stereotypical "Southern gentleman" style as a way of self-promotion.

After the construction of Interstate 75 reduced his restaurant's customer traffic, Sanders took to franchising Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurants. AT AGE 65, using $105.00 from his first Social Security check he funded his potential franchisees.

He didn't even get started until 65 and the rest is history.

"I made a resolve then that I was going to amount to something if I could. And no hours, nor amount of labor, nor amount of money would deter me from giving the best that there was in me. And I have done that ever since, and I win by it."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 277 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    My inspiration comes from many places - people and places around me, my friends, things I read about, games, books, and myself.

I also keep a dream journal. My brain is hyperactive and practically 'dreaming' all the time. It often comes up with very bizarre imagery, which I sometimes draw or paint.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 557 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Demo View Post
    Amateurs look for inspiration; the rest of us just get up and go to work. (Chuck Close)

Inspiration comes from doing. (Robert Genn)

If you only paint on those days when you feel like it, you're effectively putting up a notice on your easel saying, "Out - back when I feel like it." (Marion Boddy-Evans)

People who are not artists often feel that artists are inspired. But if you work at your art you don't have time to be inspired. (John Cage)

Inspiration is a byproduct of discipline... simply getting up everyday and planning, plotting, sketching, setting up or actually applying paint to a painting. (Beverly Claridge)

Stop. Breathe. Allow yourself the luxury of doing nothing for a moment, or an hour, or even a day. It is in emptiness that inspiration will appear. (Carole Katchen)

The longing to produce great inspirations didn't produce anything but more longing. (Sophie Kerr)

You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. (Jack London)
    Those are all great quotes. I especially like the Jack London quote about going after inspiration with a club.

The one by John Cage is also good "if you work at your art you don't have time to be inspired."
    I would modify that to "if you work at your art you dont have time to worry about being inspired" because the drive of self growth, one day at a time, is enough to keep you inspired, not second guessing yourself, and moving forward as an artist.

The quote i've had in my signature for about 2 or 3 years could probably live in this thread too:

"The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it."
    -Michelangelo

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Deviantart!

or check out my: Blog

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 521 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hehh I've tried the 'just do it' approach and it doesnt work for me, and when I work without being inspired or wanting to, the final products are usually my least favorite pieces. I like Carole Katchen's quote, it applies best to me; I feel inspired when I've stepped away from doing art for a while, which could take from a few minutes of brainstorming to an entire week of staring at the ceiling.

I dont think you have to force yourself to do art if you dont feel inspired, or into it... take your time, this isnt a race. Moebius for example, If I remember what I read correctly, spent an entire year in Mexico with nothing, no sketchbook, didnt draw at all. But the desert landscape inspired him for years to come in his comics. he said its his favorite environment to draw

25. The Following User Says Thank You to nauvice For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do I detect bastardism in here?: "It's cool to see what other people are trying then go and do it before they can"

LOL!!

Sore Schizo artists asks:"Why is it that every time I get inspired there's like a Star wars week, or Mermaid festival when I havn't even finished yet?"

I think the message I'm getting here today is for me to quit the "wanting to be original" complex. Do stuff and do it good.

Last edited by George Abraham; February 10th, 2010 at 06:35 AM.
    ----------------------------------
    Scetchbook: View the exhibitionist's stuff.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Perhaps I should be more honest (to myself, I guess). My main influence for my artwork is music... Specifically neofolk, dark ambient, and black metal.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to OldJake666 For This Useful Post:

Dorkthrone is offline The skyline was beautiful on fire. Level 12 Gladiator: Laqueatores
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Music is actually a pretty great influence. I've been starting to listen to more folk punk recently while I work, but I mostly just put on some progressive rock or doom metal. Or something along those lines.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do something boring for a bit.

Listen to soundtracks for films I've never seen.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dood.. I heard you like inspiration so... I got you this R-Kelly tube

oh.. An THIS Whitney Houston tube

Last edited by George Abraham; February 12th, 2010 at 06:14 AM.
    ----------------------------------
    Scetchbook: View the exhibitionist's stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm looking at my light bulb of low light!!!

or on my wall near the bed

Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 690 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I don't go looking for inspiration, it just strikes me randomly at the weirdest of times. Taking a walk outside, watching documentaries on television and listening to music while staring out the window may give it a little push though.

I also tend to get inspired when I don't have the means to draw around me, such as at work or while doing chores under the watchful eye of my mother. Gutted when that happens because I still haven't found a way to store a moment of inspiration and apply it later .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know it sounds a bit far fetched but it actually works. The beauty of peanut butter, if you see some truth in that you can paint a series of them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    B-movies, Castlevania games, and filmmaking tend to motivate me.
    yay, just got my 100th post. Yeah.... I should really start a sketchbook now

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it's strange but I get my inspiration from staring at my bathroom tiles while in the shower. shapes jump out at me in the patterns I see, and they end up looking like an artistic creature or environment in my head. here is a link to some examples of tile that I am talking about.

http://www.villagiotile.com/products...03143421953930

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I eat pomegranate seeds and read horse care manuals.

SKUTCHBUK -- thank you for the critique, have a good night!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I get inspiration from other pin-up artists like me. I really enjoy watching their masterpieces.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.