Thanks

Wolfsbane...(dinosaur sculpt added)

Hello, this is my first post on this board. So many incredible artists here. This is my third sculpt. Werewolf design, entitled Wolfsbane. Very new to sculpting, and critiques or pointers are much appreciated. Thanks for looking.

Marc

Last edited by Hostile17; January 28th, 2010 at 11:34 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    If you are new to sculpting, then you are a natural. This sculpt is killer.
    The body and face are great. The extra set of arms is a new twist.
    Great job.

Mah ' Crub

Thanks
    What's the story with the extra arms?

Amazing anatomy and textures.

Thanks
    Thank you both for the kind words. In terms of the arms I really want to viewer to have thier own reasoning. But this is mine. Werewolves have always been one of my favorite classic monsters, but there has rarely been much deviation in thier look for the most part. I wanted to show the conflict within but in a constant state, the two are always present, rather than night and day, an ongoing twilight where they at odds at all times. Sort of conjoined twins at war. As an after thought I should have had the upper arms tearing into the body below, or is the human portion really the villian? Really just boils down to I wanted to do something different with my favorite classic. Thanks again for your feedback.

Thanks
    Neat. That's sorta how I was reading it — hands are one of the most identifiable parts of humanity. What made me wonder if I was reading it wrong was the non-dogginess of the forepaws. But the hands aren't wholly human, either.

Nice piece.

Thanks
    Hey Hostile17,

I saw this over at the Shifletts, it is a very interesting concept, but it could be better. It's the arms that doesn't look right. The human face shows fear, but the arms are like ready to grab something. I like your idea where the human arms are grabbing onto the werewolf in fear, and struggling, etc.. In this piece, it would be hard to see the human as the villian, unless he still have control of the body. I feel that the werewolf overpowers the human.

But the werewolf is beautifully sculpted!

Thanks
    Taurn 7, I wanted this design to leave alot of questions. Are the more human arms reaching out for someone to help it while the wolf recoils?, or is the human portion like the snapping turtle tonque or anglerfish lure that draws in prey? Is he ashamedly part of the problem?, after all he's gotta eat too and they do share the same brain there must be some crossover...on and on, etc...Not to get too psychological and heady, the arms are an element some maybe feel detracts from the overall design. Again just wanted something different that was open to interpretation. Thanks for offering your thoughts.
    Last edited by Hostile17; January 24th, 2010 at 04:25 PM.

Thanks
    Now this is cool! It's nice to see a new take on a werewolf, it seems like everything werewolf has been the same old same old. Beautiful job on the skin texturing and veins, and musculature. Overall, really great. This is only your 3rd sculpture? I second what Mah'Crub says--if you're new to sculpting, you're definitely a natural.

Welcome to CA, by the way, I think you'll enjoy this place.
    Critters! Dinosaurs! Lovecraftian horrors! ~~~~~> My creature sculpting thread!
    The Savage Goldfish Blog

"I started to see human beings as little lonesome, water-based pink meat, life forms pushing air through themselves and making noises that the other little pieces of meat seemed to understand."
    -Devin Townsend

Thanks

Thumbs up Nice JOB!!

Your work looking really great! Nice shape and detail! Your pics make me want to know more about this monster,such as the world it lives . how did it come.etc! After all I like your artwork! Would you please upload more pictures about the progress?

Thanks
    Wow, this is amazing. My only pointer, post some bigger pics!

I took the additional arms/face as the creature sort of phasing in and out of the two physical forms, and the confusion that would go along with that transformation.. Like a possession. Less symbolic, more like it's actually happening.

Thanks
    The transformations in In the Company of Wolves are pretty intense. There's one where the guy sort of vomits himself in the new form, leaving his empty skin behind.

Thanks
    Great to hear the kind words and suggestions, thank you all. Wolfsbane is being prepped for the caster. Once I get copies and throw some paint on one I will post pics. Here is a dinosuar I did a while ago. Again critiques appreciated. Thanks

Thanks
    That werewolf is fucking gorgeous! Although it doesn't look like a wolf more so doberman-ish. I know it's late on criticism but it doesn't hurt to learn from mistakes. Anyway, the jaw line doesn't look right. Too long and the lower jaw isn't far back enough. I think if the jaw did come up it'd look really awkward.
    here's a few examples i looked up.
    http://www.denbompa.be/wp-content/up...atomy_head.jpg
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...atomy_head.jpg
    http://www.fallingpixel.com/products/5680/mains/1.jpg
    http://msnbcmedia4.msn.com/j/msnbc/C...2p.hmedium.jpg
    also now after looking at your sculpture and jaws again, it seems your missing muscles there. here is a human muscle cause i don't know which one you were going for.
    http://drnickcampos.com/health-newsl...ullmuscles.jpg
    Might I ask, what clay do you use? Also really great attention to detail you have!
    "I'm having a party you can't see"
    ~Patton Oswalt

"Endure not yet a breach, but an expansion, Like gold to airy thinness beat."
    A Valediction: Forbidding Mourning by John Donne