Painters aren't famous. - Page 4
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Painters aren't famous.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nrx View Post
    i guess a better question is how can we illustrators make our art more accessible by the general public? or How can i make my art have more value to the every day person?
    Illustrators are just making pretty pictures of someone elses work....someone elses idea and someone elses grand plan.

Making the pretty pictures for a book cover (the product is the book, the art brings it to life...but the writer is still center stage), making the pretty pictures for a card game (again, people are playing the game and just enjoying the art as a part of it...the game is the center), or making the nice visuals for a movie (again, the director is the leader...the one with the vision and the one that is bringing it together).

If you want to be accessible to the general public, you need to be creating something more than just a nice looking picture (because, well, it's just meaningless eyecandy...and this world has a lot of eyecandy).

Artists who combine their art with storytelling are the artists that get the most fame.

How many people have heard of Stan Lee? James Cameron? ...lots! Both of them are artists in the traditional sense, make nice pictures.... but the part that brings them fame is when they combine it with storytelling and bringing their art to the masses in a form that can be consumed (comic books, movies).

If you want to be a famous artist then you need to do more than just bring other people's ideas to life. Do something where what you make is more than just the icing on someone elses cake.

As for respect and admiration of those around you? Who wouldn't give you tons of "wowww!!" factor if you told them you were designing the creatures in avatar as a living?

But... how to accomplish that as a painter in a gallery? Well, what is a painter really doing? They are making a single picture for a very very tiny audience. They might put an interesting idea into it and show something new or clever, but nothing that is really re-inventing anything (and new ideas / clever ideas are ALL over... go to netflix sometime and check out all the different ideas that people flesh out into entire experiences).

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't see a total exclusivity between "media celebrity" and "artist".

Take this scenario. Suppose someone like Paris Hilton was to take up painting, and do quick paintings in front of live audiences. And she could wear some kind of high fashion and very skimpy outfit while doing it. And paint suggestively, perhaps put some high energy music behind it. It wouldn't have to be very high quality painting at all, just something moderately interesting.
    (I mean, we're not talking about "good" here, we're just talking about "painter").

And if an existing acting/music "celebrity" could market him/herself in such a way, they could even create a trend of the public wanting to "see" what's going on in the heads of their favorite celebrities. The gossip magazines could use this as an opportunity to compare artwork side-by-side, compare/contrast the paintings of the latest couple (and act like they could predict whether they're compatible based on their art). There could be "scandals" (like who stole who's idea?), etc... And how about tabloids featuring the latest "art therapy" work by some troubled star? As our culture is very visual (and getting moreso) I can see this as a possibility, in some form or another.

Imagine if people felt they could use a pop star's amateur artwork as a way to evaluate them? Just a supplemental facet to their "brand".

This could be extended into mass production as well. Rappers (since that seems to be our consistent example) could wear prints of their personalized graffiti doodle drawings on their oversized T-shirts. Heck, they could then turn around and mass print those shirts. I'm sure people would buy them.

Of course, that's just an idea for painting itself to get into the spotlight. I'm guessing you're talking about people who paint solely for their living. Same thing, if those people were also young, hot, rich, addicted to something, wore the latest fashions, showed up at many of the parties attended by the paparazi, AND were to turn painting into some kind of performance art, I can see them getting media attention.

(You're were asking for a "solution"-- is that more in the lines of what you're thinking of?)

Anyhow, I hope it never happens like how I imagined above...

Last edited by Zirngibism; January 25th, 2010 at 06:19 AM.

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    Here is a list of marginally popular living artist, but by no means are half as popular as Kim Kardashian.
    For the longest time I had and I still generally have no idea who this person is. However, when I heard the last name, I thought they were referring to the alien race on Star Trek.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    "Just looked him up and I really the paintings. Why the hate?"

Hope you didn't accidentaly the whole paintings too...

jk

Don't know meself. I guess they're a bit too rainbow colored to be 'tasteful' in many people oppinions. Sort of like how most people run into the nearest bomb shelter when you mention, "my little pony".

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tobbA For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by tobbA View Post
    "Just looked him up and I really the paintings. Why the hate?"

Hope you didn't accidentaly the whole paintings too...

jk

Don't know meself. I guess they're a bit too rainbow colored to be 'tasteful' in many people oppinions. Sort of like how most people run into the nearest bomb shelter when you mention, "my little pony".

Ooops lol I edited my post.

I don't see what's wrong with colourful imagery. Not everything has to be dark and gritty.
    http://mrshurstsartpage.files.wordpr...12/kinkade.jpg

Am I missing something? hehe

-----------------------------------------
    My Sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...234403&page=10

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    From a 2004 ARTnews article on the 10 Most Expensive Living Artists: http://www.artnews.com/issues/article.asp?art_id=1520
    "Entertainment mogul David Geffen privately paid around $40 million, according to sources, to acquire Gray Numbers (1958) from the collection of Kimiko and John Powers a few years ago. It is the highest price known to have been paid, sources say, for a work by a living artist."

So this is what those "rock stars" are buying...

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Whirly View Post
    Ooops lol I edited my post.

I don't see what's wrong with colourful imagery. Not everything has to be dark and gritty.
    http://mrshurstsartpage.files.wordpr...12/kinkade.jpg

Am I missing something? hehe
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=33269

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,778 Times in 848 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    From a 2004 ARTnews article on the 10 Most Expensive Living Artists: http://www.artnews.com/issues/article.asp?art_id=1520
    "Entertainment mogul David Geffen privately paid around $40 million, according to sources, to acquire Gray Numbers (1958) from the collection of Kimiko and John Powers a few years ago. It is the highest price known to have been paid, sources say, for a work by a living artist."

So this is what those "rock stars" are buying...
    Okay, this is nice for Jasper Johns. But 40 million dollars!! I like Jasper Johns (a little) but where is the painting?

Last edited by Raoul Duke; January 26th, 2010 at 02:53 AM. Reason: too big

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, this is nice for Jasper Johns. But 40 million dollars!! I like Jasper Johns (a little) but where is the painting?
    It's "fine art".... for that world, just forget the countless hours of practice on anatomy and lighting and everything else and simply make something that looks cool and hope it sticks

If all else fails...just paint it REALLY BIG or REALLY SMALL and that will work too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by karmazon View Post
    For a while now I've been asking friends and other people to name a famous, living painter. Then I would ask them to name an average, living rapper. You can guess the results. People don't know any painters, but have no problem with naming moderately successful rappers.

I realize part of the problem is the nature of both activities - songs are going to be played on the radio, tv, even as soundtrack in movies. Even if you tried to avoid a mainstream song you couldn't. Also rappers are viewed as celebrities and rock stars.

How could an artist achieve that level of fame? How could paintings achieve the level of exposure that songs have?
    I believe that qualifies as asking people to name artists.
    The people you hang out with don't know any painters. The people I hang out with do.

Your basic question is flawed which is why you're getting so many varied responses. These are all different things. They find different audiences, venues and levels of recognition. Even then people have tried to point out to you that there are in fact many famous living artists, but you refuse to admit your initial assumption was flawed. But since you asked for solutions...

The way for an artist to become as famous as a "celebrity" is to become a celebrity...however that happens. Maybe this story will provide some insight...

During a concert Joni Mitchell had a bunch of people suggesting which song to play next - she laughed and came back with (something like), "That's the great thing about the performing arts vs. painting...no one ever said to Van Gogh, 'Paint another Starry Night again, man!" She's also a painter so works in both realms - music and visual art. I love that comment...it just so clearly illustrates the difference between the two.

But so does the addage: A picture is worth a thousand words.

Another point no one has brought up is the body of work or depth of catalog. A prolific singer/musician with a long career has maybe a few dozen albums/songs that chart? A prolific writer rarely more than 100 written works and most far fewer. A painter creates a far larger body of work (usually).

Performance is ephemeral - it exists in the abstract - between the audience and the performer - at the time of it's execution. Before recording technology it was all "live".

They're just different - if you're interested in combining them then more power to you. Performance artists have been doing it for a long time.

Just some things to think about.

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by karmazon View Post
    For a while now I've been asking friends and other people to name a famous, living painter. Then I would ask them to name an average, living rapper. You can guess the results. People don't know any painters, but have no problem with naming moderately successful rappers.

I realize part of the problem is the nature of both activities - songs are going to be played on the radio, tv, even as soundtrack in movies. Even if you tried to avoid a mainstream song you couldn't. Also rappers are viewed as celebrities and rock stars.

How could an artist achieve that level of fame? How could paintings achieve the level of exposure that songs have?
    Name a famous living sculptor.

Website Sketchbook

"If it looks wrong, it is wrong."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivory_Oasis View Post
    It's "fine art".... for that world, just forget the countless hours of practice on anatomy and lighting and everything else and simply make something that looks cool and hope it sticks

If all else fails...just paint it REALLY BIG or REALLY SMALL and that will work too.
    Might want to look up "Lucian Freud" - highest paid living artist currently. I don't care for his stuff but the guy can paint.

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sculptors are tougher, I think partly because there are fewer sculptors: Richard Macdonald - Santiago Calatrava - Frank Stella - Richard Serra - Andy Goldsworthy - Dale Chihuly - Michael Parkes - Gil Bruvel - Gene anRebecca Tobey - Bill Worrell

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to say this.
    Talk about paint by numbers!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 291 Posts
    Follows
    Following

21. The Following User Says Thank You to el coro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    They are out there, just not in the same streams as rap aritsts.

Julian Beever - Optical illusion street art dude.
    Pricasso - Dude who paints with his penis.
    Southafrican arist Zaphiro - Cartoon artists have something in common with rap artists as they almost get sue'd as much.

el coro: LOL at the avatar. Did not know what that was about untill I saw a feature on the youtube wonder boy the other day. I think he's secret is the "saving angel wearing a cape look" ;P

----------------------------------
    Scetchbook: View the exhibitionist's stuff.

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,878 Times in 2,354 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    As JeffX99 pointed out your argument is flawed from the beginning. Rap music is a miniscule piece of the music industry with the top performers only selling tens of millions of albums individually. Compare that to Pop music artists selling close to a billion albums individually ( 200 times the highest rap artist) and you see how insular and out of touch you sound. Thomas Kinkaid Everybodys favorite Artist whipping boy, makes 100's of millions of dollars a year. Again, way more than rap performers. Damien Hirst, the English conceptual artist makes about the same so who is famous and who isn't?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its not strange to see lot of people don't know the names of some famous painter today, since today not a lot of people can understand the expression on a painting like an artist do and also theres not a lot of people are interest in looking at painting.

You see back in the ye oldie days when vehicles where impulsed by horses, boats use the wind to move and internet couldn't even exist in dreams. Back then there never existed the photograph or film, so the only way to capture a moment it was by a painting, making it more rare and innovative. So people that could capture a moment in a canvas have a lot of chance to get famous, the more the artist manage to assimilate a moment the more fame he will get. But now its really hard to gain fame by painting frames, since cameras can do what a painters take hours to accomplish in mater of seconds. Making the people lose interest in painting, they actually don't see all the effort and emotion that the artist tried to express. They just see a image and think thats something that can be easily done with a camera.

Maybe its hard to hear a name of a famous painter cause painting in a canvas its turning kind of primitive, since the world is always evolving and lots of news expression of arts are rising, Most of the people will prefer something more innovative or new. Is real hard for a painting compete with film, digital art and so. Its more probable to hear the name of a present director, musician, game designer, etc. Then hearing a name of a actual painter.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Visual artists period (traditional painters with the shortest stick, unless they've been six feet under for hundreds of years), are not popular amongst general public because it's the product they did the art for that is popular: movies, videogames, tv-shows...popular media basicly (no, Bob Ross ain't no popular media).

Public subconciously recognises the frontmen, allways did allways will. And the frontmen are allways either directors, writers of a show, or production companies..rarely individual artists.
    The only individual artists that are popular were the ones parading as the frontmen (Tim Burton or Stanley Kubrick), but these occupied more of a slot than just visual artists, these guys brought their own style, and also directed the afformentioned 'product'...

So popularity = frontman exposure. Frontman exposure, means you're on the begining credit, not end credits.

Luckily society has many subgroups of popularity, meaning if it won't reach the general public, it will reach a general chunk of that public who are involved in art industry..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    why aren't scientist or engineers famous, or publicly admired for their efforts. I don't know who created the defibrillator, I don't know who found the cure for polio or who the hell created fire retardant. These people are way more important than any artist. So don't worry about fame, just worry about growth.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthurkidd View Post
    Its not strange to see lot of people don't know the names of some famous painter today, since today not a lot of people can understand the expression on a painting like an artist do and also theres not a lot of people are interest in looking at painting.

You see back in the ye oldie days when vehicles where impulsed by horses, boats use the wind to move and internet couldn't even exist in dreams. Back then there never existed the photograph or film, so the only way to capture a moment it was by a painting, making it more rare and innovative. So people that could capture a moment in a canvas have a lot of chance to get famous, the more the artist manage to assimilate a moment the more fame he will get. But now its really hard to gain fame by painting frames, since cameras can do what a painters take hours to accomplish in mater of seconds. Making the people lose interest in painting, they actually don't see all the effort and emotion that the artist tried to express. They just see a image and think thats something that can be easily done with a camera.

Maybe its hard to hear a name of a famous painter cause painting in a canvas its turning kind of primitive, since the world is always evolving and lots of news expression of arts are rising, Most of the people will prefer something more innovative or new.

huh?

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,878 Times in 2,354 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Stephen Hawking isn't famous?

Anid Maro is offline Psychotic Eldritch Zeppelin Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    Stephen Hawking isn't famous?
    Isn't he a rapper or something?

-My work can be found at my local directory thread.

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Anid Maro View Post
    Isn't he a rapper or something?
    He's a DJ.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by OmenSpirits View Post

huh?
    He actually has a bit of a point.

Art was not only considered an intellectual practice and an important cultural phenomenon, but it was also used to portray people and events (real or mythological). Back then people couldn't get their photo taken, they had to have their portrait painted. Artists had to work hard to recreate historical scenes. When photography came around, people could get their portraits taken and photographers could capture current events as they were happening.

There is no longer an absolute need for an artist to paint something that can be captured on film. Painting, traditional theater,music had to make way for new technology and it's emerging popularity. It doesn't mean that painting and theater and concerts no longer have their place but they are not at the forefront of society and every day living like they used to be.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JJacks View Post
    He actually has a bit of a point.

Art was not only considered an intellectual practice and an important cultural phenomenon, but it was also used to portray people and events (real or mythological). Back then people couldn't get their photo taken, they had to have their portrait painted. Artists had to work hard to recreate historical scenes. When photography came around, people could get their portraits taken and photographers could capture current events as they were happening.

There is no longer an absolute need for an artist to paint something that can be captured on film. Painting, traditional theater,music had to make way for new technology and it's emerging popularity. It doesn't mean that painting and theater and concerts no longer have their place but they are not at the forefront of society and every day living like they used to be.
    No, no, I get that.

It's what's in the bold areas that are

-John Huston, Director

Black Spot is online now Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,366 Times in 3,589 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well known living artists - Peter Blake, Bridget Riley, David Hockney. All about the same time.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

bhanu is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 766 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Its about the media, people. Art media pushes towards so called elite niches in the markets. Connoiseurs and intellectuals , people with big pockets. For an artist to be famous(which is basically being know amongst the masses) he has to work around this already built system.
    I dont know why you guys are arguing about whos famous and what. oh and yeah, its also about the face value, how many artists are known by their own faces??
    Most rappers and movie stars have just that. YOu will recognize them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bhano your avatar has lots of face value

37. The Following User Says Thank You to steve kim For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    Well known living artists - Peter Blake, Bridget Riley, David Hockney. All about the same time.
    Gee looks like I'll have to do a google search.....get the point.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.