Devil Assassin
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Devil Assassin

Thanks
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 752 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Devil Assassin

Howdy folks. This piece is for Jon Schindehette's latest challenge over on ArtOrder. The brief was pretty extensive, so that was an interesting experience.

I'm calling the piece finished, but I'd love any crits you've got for me. Only have one more year till I have to be professional quality! Eeek.

Name:  devil_assassin.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  183.3 KB

Thanks for looking.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice color and light. You have some anatomy issues. Left arm seems short and not foreshortened. Right leg bends kind of high. Legs should definitely be longer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hard to have anatomy issues with a demon, but that's the first thing I thought. Plus, I wouldn't think an assassin would wear plate armor. Noisy. Plus, I would like to see how that helmet is being held on. Must be hard to be an assassin without any depth perception (one eye). Just things you gotta think about.

~If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha, I'm just imagining a demon staggering around bumping into things and rattling along the way.

Anyway, the anatomy does seem a bit off in those places but damn it's looking good. I love the colour.

The only thing I'd add is that the light is coming from directly below as if he is stood on a glass floor. I would have thought that if the light was supposed to be coming from in front of the rock he is stood on then there would be less intense light (or no light) shining on the groin area and the tail because that half the character is stood away from the edge.

But again really good job on it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The mouth and chin look like you scooted them over to her right too far to make up for that dip in the helmet.

The design work could be more interesting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As said, very nice light and colour. What strikes me the most is the shape of the armor. His shinguards don't seem to be identically shaped, especially when you compare the engraving on the shins with its silhouette it becomes apparent. Same thing with the bad going down trough the centre of her face, it seems kind of bend out of shape.

Overall it looks really nice though.

-NWS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Howdy Noah,

Cool pic! I think that one of the reasons youíve gotten the crits that youíve gotten is because members like this art piece. Itís interesting and well executed. There are the minor things but over all the image is very good.

The thumbnail image on the wip page is well balanced and constructed making the viewer want to see the work close up.

The close-up image itself has enough detail to have the viewers eyes bounce around the entire work. This really is a successful art piece and deserves a heavy 9, out of 10 points.

Bruce

PS; The red reflected lighting is very well done.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with Bruce. You obviously know how to set up the composition and colour to be very pleasing on the eye. As soon as I saw the thumbnail I was compelled to open the thread.

I thought I'd better re-post as my last post makes it look like I am laughing at the image. I am def not. This is a really great piece and the colour, once again, is fantastic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottDotNet View Post
    I agree with Bruce. You obviously know how to set up the composition and colour to be very pleasing on the eye. As soon as I saw the thumbnail I was compelled to open the thread.
    Yes, same here. There is a readable silhouette and strong lighting that caught my eye. The rock looks very good.

I'll echo the critique offered so far; the legs, in particular, stood out for me, looking rather short (don't care for the shin guards either). Her feet seem clumsy and ill-suited for sneaking; I would maybe look at something more feline? Though it perhaps wouldn't suit the bat-like feel I'm getting from the design.
    The part of the cape on the right creates an unfortunate illusion, because the cape follows the contour/shape of the arm, but it's blowing above it. At a glance, it sort of makes it look like a very wide arm. I'd just straighten it out.

Overall a great image. It's striking. Love the black/orange/purple colour scheme.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello Noah,you have a good design overall. The composition and color choice are very pleasing to the eye. The initial impact is very strong. I particularly like the shape of the cape that looks like the form of a bat and the beautiful orange under lighting that shows temperature change. The pose is one of confidence and strength while there are anatomical issues its been stated already so I don't need to go into it. There are some specific details that bothers me. The face looks way to masculine due to the harsh shadow edges. Unless your are going for that effect, I would suggest softening up the edges of the shadows on the cheek to create a more smooth form. Shape language wise, the armor looks a bit generic. Demonic design (to me at least) have more aggressive shapes such as jagged edges, strong shapes and points. The Shoulder pad is reading pretty well but I think you can push the design a little more. The edges of the greaves(shin guard) can use some love in the same respect. To sum it up: the mood is there, but some of the details aren't. Good stuff

Last edited by Eclypse; January 23rd, 2010 at 07:03 PM.
    "He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and compass and never knows where he may cast." -Leonardo da Vinci

Sketchbook

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.