Sketchbook: Lingmerths Sketchbook

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lingmerths Sketchbook

First a 'thank you' to everyone that stopped by and a special thanks to you who give critique and help me grow as an artist.

So my story is this:

Since I was little I've always been drawing, I'm one of those kids that stayed in during school brakes and drew. Mostly guns, ships, things exploding, sounds familiar no? During high school i studied design, something I pursued even further enrolling in a 5 year industrial design university education. Mostly during this time my art skills remained stagnant, I never really pushed myself to develop my drawing skills. Just repeated the same clutter over and over drawing cool things, never did any exercises or used any reference.

I always thought that industrial design would be a nice compromise between having a creative job and actually having a decent job.
    But somewhere around the 3rd year of the 5 year education I came to the realization that, while my classmates read design magazines and followed trend blogs, I stayed up at night studying anatomy to be able to draw the human figure better. At this point I started to truly see how much my art meant to me and I knew that it would never be satisfied being pushed away in a corner as a hobby. My own self-proclaimed goal in life is to grow as much as an artist as possible in my lifetime (ask me how it went in 70 years).

So now I'm currently working towards that life that so many of us are chasing, being ably to support our self through drawing and what sweeter job is there than that of Concept Artist. I'm not only hoping that I would do well enough to earn a living but what better and faster way to grow as an artist than working with it full-time surrounded by like-minded people, constantly being challenged to improve yourself. But I'm well aware of the sacrifices required I'm slowly trying to phase out everything but art in my life mainly games, series and a social life. See all those featured artists on the top of the page? They are actively working and looking for work and they are just the tip of the iceberg.

I don't know if I have what it takes, of course I'm very nervous of the future, I'm currently 24 years old trying to get in to a good art school, after which I'll probably do some more specialized Concept Art education... I'll be what? Roughly 30 by the year I'm finished with my education plan.

But I made the mistake of ignoring my 'calling' for too long. Who knows where you end up in life but at least I've hopefully given it my best.

A while back me and DefiledVisions made a weekly challenge thread, but it's now inactive.

So here is a little something so this post won't be entirely soul-less and devoid of images.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Lingmerth; July 9th, 2010 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Spilling my guts
    My Sketchbook
    "Donít waste your time on jealousy; sometimes youíre ahead, sometimes youíre behind, the race is long, and in the end, itís only against yourself."
    Photoshop color picker | Adjusting tablet sensitivity: Manually or Utility
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, I hope you can post more stuff. And I think they could have chosen some better real estate...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 670 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Awh man finally! (3 pŚ morgonen, insomnia.. kunde inte sova, loggade in och sŚg att du skrivit )
    Been waiting forever! Will check back when you updated with some more goodies.

Do what you love ~ Love what you do
    Sketchbook|Blog|DeviantArt

Check out
    FrozZt
    ManMadeGod
    Mokinzi
    Ryn
    Spaggen
    TwoListen
    UmpaArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So after a long hiatus, I've decided to start to actually use this sketchbook. I for some reason has a hard time keeping things like this updated, apathy I guess, I just need to work at it. Anyways one of my more current things is this vampire concept I've been working on for an Half-Life 2 mod called Dead of Night.

At this stage it's more of an illustration than concept and depending on how it turns out I've considered making a poster out of it, something I've always wanted to try. Do any of you guys know the dpi required? The image is made 1m high at 300 dpi, it might be more than I need but, I have a rig that can handle that without any prob.

One of the pictures is the initial layout concept and the other is a roughly tweaked pose. The next steps are to work more on the body and adding more shading and eventually back light from the moon, I'll probably make him a bit larger on the final layout.

I'd love the hear any comments or crits if you have any, thanks.

My Sketchbook
    "Donít waste your time on jealousy; sometimes youíre ahead, sometimes youíre behind, the race is long, and in the end, itís only against yourself."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So i just finished this picture it started as a speed painting but ended up a little more elaborate. Total time was about 2 hours.

I also made a .gif of random work stages.

It can be viewed full-res Here.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No progress on the vampire one yet. Made another one as a way to test and refine a new setup.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 670 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Man looking good! nice to see you post again!
    when printing it should be at a minimum of 300 dpi, so you don't have to worry. Show some more! cheers

Do what you love ~ Love what you do
    Sketchbook|Blog|DeviantArt

Check out
    FrozZt
    ManMadeGod
    Mokinzi
    Ryn
    Spaggen
    TwoListen
    UmpaArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there!
    I love the colours and the last portrait is awesome!
    Keep it up!

MY SKETCHBOOK
    Friends' sketchbooks:
    Novbert
    BluezAce
    CarlSpringer

LtPlissken

"Storytelling is my passion.Shadows and lights are my muse.Art is my first love"-Shawn Martinbrough

http://www.freerice.com/-Help the starving by playing a trivia-each right answer means 10 grains of rice for the starving people!

http://durian.blender.org/-Awesome 3D movie project with Blender,a free 3D software!Check it out!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another portrait done of a random guy on some forum.

Lingmerths Sketchbook

I'm keeping busy with some Pen & Paper drawings as well, but I don't have the energy to scan and process them right now.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is some things from a summer course in concept art I'm attending. Where working with a fictional script for a game. Here is a bit of the working progress and 'finished' render for an prop that's to be used by one of the protagonists. I know the length of the hand and fingers are a bit off, I'll address that at some other time. There is a Higher resultion version here.

Also posted is a doodle of some alien head and another speed-painting. about 1Ĺ hours. If you're interested you can see a breakdown of it here.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've made a wet hand tutorial, partly for practice partly for fun, but it's a really good tip. Basically you just get a cotton glove from an medical store or pharmacy, they're mainly used by people who are allergic to latex. I've also heard of people doing the same with photo-developer glove, there very similar. Or if you're really pro you can just buy a smudgeguard, but they're to expensive, especially if you need to ship them overseas.

I know I'm not the first to mention this tip, but I figured it out for myself before I saw other people had similar ideas. It's in Swedish but hopefully you can get the gist of it from the illustrations.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've made some initial sketches for one of the main characters in the fictional video game for the summer course. Next week we'll refine one of these in to a final picture. Now I'm beat and going to bed, have a good one.

[They can be seen in higher resolution here]

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Was just messing around today studying some anatomy and poses, decided to continue working on one of the poses.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Made a caricature for a friend today, great fun.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So still working on the character concept for the summer course.
    Hopefully I'll be done by tomorrow.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I procrastinated by doing today's daily sketch group topic "Pink-skinned heavyweight synthetic devil has babyblue horns" I guess there are worse ways to waste your time. Anyway, didn't really make it particularly synthetic nor with very baby blue horns but I had fun with it.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So here is a big picture dump. Some more images for the summer course and a hockey player I did for my young cousin.

[The finished character can be seen in high-res here] and [with a background here]
    [The Environment thumbnails can be seen in high res here]

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I finished the environment concept for the summer course.

[The image can be seen in higher resolution here] (1,46 MB)

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey babe, how about you get some newdies up in here!

Sketchbook 2005 2006 2009

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.