Can I Use Sakura Microns For Professional Work?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Can I Use Sakura Microns For Professional Work?

I have started using the Pigma Micron Pens by Sakura for illustration work for a little while. But, Ive noticed, particularly comic book artists, say that for professional work they either use a brush and technical pen or nibs. Most of the time the technical pens that they are referring to are usually by Kohinoor, and are "old school" traditional steel nib pens that you have to fill with india ink and maintain and clean constantly. Some artists say they use those pigma pens for less professional work like convention sketches.

I took a college drafting course where I was instructed to buy those Rapidograph technical pens, and I really considered them a waste in that sometimes they never work....or spill. The maintenance required is also way too much of a hassle, really. It seems so ridiculous. I just bought the Microns, and they were MUCH more convenient, and it is listed on the pens that they have the same archival fadeproof and waterproof ink. But still, some of the instructors said to stick with the Rapidographs and avoid the Microns if you could, if you were doing traditional drafting. I never understood this. Maybe my instructor mistook the Micron pens for some other kind of pen?

So, then why is it that some artists (comic book artists really) see those pigma pens such as the Sakura Microns and similar not fit for "professional use." Should I be using them professionally alongside a good sable brush? What do people see in those technical pens, anyways? I know they are great for creating technical linework, but cant the Microns accomplish the same task? Is there something that I am missing? If the Microns are not suited for "professional" level work, is there another kind of pen that is like the Rapidograph pens that is not so much of a hassle and actually works?

Can somebody kindly answer the questions I have and bring some kind of clarity to this matter?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not talking from experience, but as far as I know, anything can be used as long as the art director approves.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 753 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Creating distinction between professional and non-professional tools is unnecessary.

By the way. I was taught that ink is so versatile medium that you can apply it with anything. You can even use pointed stick found in the forest if it gives interesting mark .

Last edited by Farvus; January 21st, 2010 at 07:07 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,670 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    They're fine, don't worry.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.