EOW 132 The Laboratory Of the Paranormal Detective agency Vote Please
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: EOW 132 The Laboratory...

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • zimfin

2 4.35%
  • android411

0 0%
  • ragnj

0 0%
  • Ocrehand

22 47.83%
  • Tonic

20 43.48%
  • Orion9282

2 4.35%

Thread: EOW 132 The Laboratory Of the Paranormal Detective agency Vote Please

chaosrocks is offline Environment of the Week Leader Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

EOW 132 The Laboratory Of the Paranormal Detective agency Vote Please

EOW 132 The Laboratory Of the Paranormal Detective agency

Brief
    In this world, Alchemical processes work and Magic and ritual are used, both the cause crimes and to solve them.
    The Paranormal detective agency, is the best collection of Wizards and Witches in the city, equiped with all the latest new fangled equipment

DUE January 20, 2010

Go!!

NO description required, say what you need to say visually. the words are already there.

FOLLOW THE TOPIC.

POST YOUR FINAL HERE THREAD.

SAVE YOUR FILES IN THE FOLLOWING FORMAT.
    EOW##_Nickname
    example: "EOW#100_Chaosrocks.jpg"

PLACE THE IMAGE IN A FRAME WITH YOUR NAME/TOPIC

example from CHOW

(you can add CA logo, etc).

Add an icon to you final post
    150 pixels either direction
    PLEASE OUTSIDE HOST THE ICON
    k thx

Last edited by chaosrocks; January 22nd, 2010 at 08:47 AM.
    To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Guess I'm first then. Good luck folks, it's been fun!

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and here is also mine, good luck everyone, was very exciting to participate

cheers

P.S. hope I did everything right with guidelines as this is my first time

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "The Laboratory of the Paranormal Detective Agency floats the air of medieval metropolis 'Jarnstaden', protected from black magic terrorism by a taskforce of witches circling the structure in high speed."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Funlabor.com, my portfolio site.
    Paint My Brains Out, my blog

6. The Following User Says Thank You to OchreHand For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im in no way finished with this, ran out of time, working on my demo reel.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tonic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Here's my try... it's meh.

I tried to paint faster, though I think I would like my work to be more refined than this moving forward.

Last edited by Orion9282; January 21st, 2010 at 09:20 PM. Reason: image rez

chaosrocks is offline Environment of the Week Leader Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    closed, done....
    and would any one like to tell me what the problem was with this topic?

It was flexible to any style, it was ripe for post industrial, or steam,punk. or a modern/medieval mash up... I thought it was different and fun. but apparently no

are people just that afraid of interiors?
    neeed more practice with them? Because I do notice that I get far more entries on the exteriors than the interiors. and yet nearly every game has some, and some are nearly all set in interiors.

just asking. Thank you very much for those of you who did try. Lascalas will not be going to poll, I did in fact PM him/her to remind about the icon two days ago. but without response.

and on we go.
    nwe round posted here
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...14#post2605514

Last edited by chaosrocks; January 22nd, 2010 at 08:58 AM.
    To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "are people just that afraid of interiors?
    neeed more practice with them? Because I do notice that I get far more entries on the exteriors than the interiors. and yet nearly every game has some, and some are nearly all set in interiors."

Think it might be as simple as this. This round I chose an exterior because I thought the idea I had could turn out fine, had an interior I wanted to do aswell but ran out of time. Ive always fancied exteriors alot more the interiors and are always getting second thoughts when it comes to interiors in these kind of competitions, just becasuse Im not very familiar with drawing them.

I should think the opesite around tho, since that obviosly what i need to train the most on.

Good round everybody, I will be voting for Tonic, very well done peice with alot of nice and funny details, just what a "laboratory for the paranormal agency" needs imo.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ragnj For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tonic, Ochrehand - Awesome entries. Just totally awesome.

@Chaosrocks - Yup. Absolutely afraid of interiors. I realized as I fumbled my way through this that 1) I have never done an interior rendering for concept artwork and 2) that it's way more difficult because you have to be more precise than with landscapes/etc. Exteriors/landscapes are, I think, easier, because you can leave the 'happy accidents' that the brushes make. Interiors require much more precision for the same level of believability. They also require so much more detail so as to give the impression of being inhabited.

The original image that I had in my head required such detailed renderings of glass piping everywhere, lab equipment, lab experiments, etc... and look what happened. I hardly had time to detail my salamander. Hah. Granted, I didn't have as much time this week, but man... these are hard.

Having said all of that... I need the practice (lots of games/movies have interiors, right?) and want the challenge.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Orion9282 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd have to agree that folk probably fear the interiors. I personally prefer exteriors because I like to get the views with clouds and scenery in there but I can enjoy interiors too. The challenge for me is how to make them exciting or interesting to look at. Not figured that one out yet.

Both Tonic and Ochrehand presented excellent images in my opinion and my choice was difficult. In the end I chose Ochrehand partly because I am a sucker for Black & White but mostly because of the suggested details, believability and interesting things you find when you look closer.
    Tonic plus points for me were humour, palette, and overall cool/weirdness of the interior.

Well done!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to zimfin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When I first saw Tonic´s approach I thought oh wow, that absolutely nailed the brief of a paranormal agency. So I voted for his image. I had a hard time to find something that´s also sells the story, however I had lots of fun with the interior and I think it was a good practice. so on to the next, have fun everyone

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Crits, hope you don't mind > >

zimfin - love the colour selection and the architecture you chose - a sort of modern minimilastic style. But there's something very empty about your composition. There's too many seperate things going on and not enough compositional guidelines for me to know where i'm supposed to focus. Also, watch out for the overall cohesiveness of your design - you've got such modern decor, bookshelves, and everything's neat - but the wizard and witch are very archaic looking. They don't quite fit.

android 411 - I'm sensing something off with your perspective here, probably all the circles and stairs. The stuff in your sketchbook seems much more refined than this. I'm guessing the deadline affected that. I like the concept though, very creepy, especially wiht the pumpkin heads.

ragnj - It's very difficult to read this painting. Without your description, I would assume it's simply a character design of a witch, flying in a canyon. You need to add more clues so people know what they're looking at - especially a sense of scale and perspective. To avoid focusing on the witch alone, add other witches (of different sizes indicating distance). You seem to have excellent imagination and concepts, judging from your portfolio, so it would be nice to express them with more clarity.

Ochrehand - ended up voting for yours, but it was a tough call. Lovely design, composion and details. Personally, i think the texture is just a little too strong. It would be nice to see more form to some of the objects, like the drapery in the back.

thescala - wish you could've finished. atmosphere nice so far.

tonic - excellent humor and narrative in this. the more i look at it, the more i enjoy it. Love the cat demon with the beer bottle in the foreground. perhaps, it could benefit from a little more finish, but on the other hand i feel it expresses the concept very well already.

orion9282 - nice composition and atompshere. i think the glowiness could be toned down, and there could be more clues to the detective bit in paranormal detective agency. I feel the image really misses out from the lab equipment you were going to draw in. Pity about the time limit affecting that.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ink Fish For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OchreHand and Tonic, close race. Great stuff, both of you. I dig the little eyball-dude with wings, Tonic, and the croc-dude skeletton. I had to give my vote to OchreHand though. The lightbulbs are sweet and your picture looks more complete. Black/White works great for it!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to dragon4lunch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with the others on the interior, it is more difficult and far more scary. You have to be more accurate and especially careful with perspective (my real weakness) and scale and it often requires far more details and work.
    Which makes this week's entries even more impressive.
    - Zimfin: I enjoyed the colours and light effects (esp. on the floor)
    - Android411: nice concept and unusual with the modern/futuristic approach; I see you've got issues with perspective as well, I don't feel alone
    - Ragnj: good idea to go exterior but I did need the written explanation to fully understand what your concept was
    - OchreHead: awesome! anything that works in B&W is great but this is spot on for me. The atmosphere, the details, great, you've got my vote
    - Tonic: great concept, I love the scale, angle and colours - however, it looks a bit too sinister for a detective agency for me
    - Orion: very nice work, I actually like the glow and all the creatures in the glass containers but I don't know if I can see the lab in it
    I really should do something soon but usually by the time I draw a sketch the deadline's gone. EOW is always a great inspiration!

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JetLime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I will go with ocre head..

26. The Following User Says Thank You to arunkumarrr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't believe the imagination here! Pretty intimidating for a newbie! Perhaps I'll have a go though, never really done any environments and this seems to be the place to challenge yourself. Such great inspiration!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This was a tough choice! I enjoyed ochrehand and tonics pieces, but in the end I went with Ochrehand. Some of the details are just amazing. Love the glass and the light bulbs. Keeping it black and white was very refreshing too!

Tonic's piece is very whimsical and believable as a magical interior. Very strong perspective. Loved the closeups that he/she included as well. Strong entry!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Kat444 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DK I can't believe you just said that... It's too original, so you lose interest? um you're probably right. but I was rather hoping that after a nearly endless array of generic topics something a little different would spark more imaginations. plus the opportunity to go steampunk on it's ass (which no one did....). I would lose interest in all vague generic topics. (which I do , which is why I give you something offbeat now and then) but given the proliferation of literature in the general vein of this topic, I didn't think it was all that off beat. just and opportunity to mix fantasy with film noire, or some such.
    Ive thought of a couple more mix genre topics. if you look CHOW does them quite frequently.

Sketch book

Members who have read this thread: 1