Fantasy graphic novel writer is seeking a graphic artist who enjoys drawing radical-edge fairy creatures. I picture the characters in an anime style with gothic overtones, getting away from the more traditional triangular Asian-featured fairies. The main character fights her way to power using cannibalism and violence, and then begins a spiritual journey to a more selfless, loving character.

This is a first-time project for me, and I am looking for a collaborator to make my written fantasy into pictorial reality. This will be a mostly spec project, hopefully leading to paid or non-paid publication online or in print. At the very least, it will be a spectacular addition to our professional portfolios.

The text is currently in the form of an 18-page short story, and I picture the final product in the form of 3 100-page serial sections. The first goal would be to create a pencilled color 8-10 page first chapter to generate some interest, and then continue or revise as necessary to create and maintain demand. I have written the narrative and dialogue and described the illustrations for the first few pages, and am continuing with this, so this project can start as soon as you are ready.

So far, this is a spec project for me, and my budget for an artist is limited to $20 per page, for a total of $200. Of course if the project is sold, I hope to have a larger budget!

Ideally, you would have at least 5 pages of illustrations for a graphic novel in your portfolio, showing the technical and artistic ability to tell a story with at least one consistent character. If you have experience with lettering, that would help, but I have no problem using existing fonts for the initial drawings. Again ideally, you would be in or close to San Diego California. However, the most important things would be your artistic sensibility and work ethic.

If this sounds exciting to you, please send me some examples of your artwork. I am looking forward to hearing from you. My email address is mfahrbach@clipian.com. Thanks!