Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Thanks

Denae's Sketchybook! AHH!

Hi!~
    I've been eyeing CA for a while now and I finally worked up the courage to join and make a sketchbook. I don't think I'm on the same skill level as most of the people here, but I really would like to continue improving my artwork and I thought this would be a nice way to do it! So please critique away on anything you see, I would greatly appreciate it and any help anyone has to offer

For tonight all I have are some old unfinished pieces =( I started all of these back last summer some time and never had the will to finish them. Most I just never knew what to do with them, so if anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them.

First off! This was just a random idea that popped into my head one night while I was falling asleep so I doodled it up the next morning on paper and then painted over it in good old potatoshops. Don't know what to do with her
    Name:  leaf2 copy.jpg
Views: 1084
Size:  261.2 KB

Another very random thing I started a long time ago. I was trying to make her look rather disturbing looking what with the eyes and whatnot...I've been staring at it so long though I don't know if it worked! I think she was going to be partially underwater too...If you can call that black stuff water. Uhm...magic water?
    Name:  waterfairy4 copy.jpg
Views: 1097
Size:  171.4 KB

This I did with a mouse while I was at my friends school waiting for her to finish some projects~ Her face still bothers me quite a bit.
    Name:  fjdk(2)2 copy.jpg
Views: 1074
Size:  79.7 KB

And finally another picture I did while waiting at my friends school. Different day though! Supposed to be a little girl afraid of something she can't see, but she knows its there. Or...something like that...
    Name:  monster copy.jpg
Views: 1070
Size:  130.0 KB

Thank you for looking! I'll post something that I've actually done recently soon haha.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by DenaeW; April 10th, 2010 at 07:12 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to DenaeW For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You definitely got some talent for painting characters and colours! I especially like the last painting, you did a good job on the lightning..this is gonna be an awesome sketchbook^^ I'm subscribed ;D

... Sketchbook ... DevART ...TUMBLR ...

Thanks
    Oh and thanks for dropping by my sketchbook ;D

... Sketchbook ... DevART ...TUMBLR ...

Thanks
    Hi DenaeW, welcome to CA.
    Your works and skills are very promising will definitely watch over this sketchbook.
    And what about finishing those pieces? Don't push them if you don't want to - they will lose some good feeling as it is now.
    Work as hard as you can on improving your skills (studies, imaginary stuff etc.) and you'll see what's wrong with them later. Maybe then you'll want to finish them.
    Best wishes and good luck with your SB!

Thanks
    I'm likin' these concept pieces -- especially the girl in the black water I think adding some highlights in her eyes and maybe some highlights in ripples in the water might help it look like water...

Show us more, plz!

Look, see! Nifty art! http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99803

Hey! Check out my blog here

Thanks
    Fun ideas in here. The first one looks like the girl is blowing the seeds or petals off of the flower. I'd suggest making the seeds more prominent by detailing, adding some contrast (light seeds against a darker BG?) and perhaps just increasing the quantity. Also try to focus the eyes on the flower/seeds. Right now they appear to be gazing off to the right of it.

The scared girl image would look better if you separated the shadows and really defined the monster one so there's no mistake about it being a big scary monster. Maybe even shifting the light source to the left so that the girls shadow falls behind her and the monster's shadow directly in front of her.

Keep it up!

SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Kawauchi: Thank you so much! I feel like I still have so much to learn about lighting it's scary....haha. And I completely forgot to subscribe to you! Thanks for reminding me~

Mr. Juicy: Thanks so much for your thoughtful words. That's a lot of advice that I will definitely keep in mind.

AmontilladoAg: Thanks! I'll definitely test those ideas out. And I shall try! :>

Traveler: Ah thank you very much for pointing that out! I completely forgot about the dandelion and how...incomplete it was haha. I should atleast clean that up. And I didn't even notice her eyes! Thank you very much for that too :<~~
    About the shadow idea I would have never thought about separating the shadows, but that sounds like it would add a lot more of the depth I was looking for in that piece. I will definitely test that out as well. Thanks so much again!

I love this place already! I've been so tired after getting home from work that I haven't had the will to scan new things...I must fix this! I hope to start posting sketches that I've done throughout the day every night atleast

For now though...more old art I found! These are some life drawing studies I did last year as well. Oh how I miss life drawing so...

Looking back on these makes me sad...they're so stiff and not full of the flow I really enjoy now But oh well. You live and learn right??
    Name:  old_life_01 copy.jpg
Views: 1098
Size:  392.0 KB
    Really hate the woman with the profile in this one.
    Name:  old_life_02.jpg
Views: 1072
Size:  243.0 KB
    I still kind of like these.
    Name:  old_life_03.jpg
Views: 1123
Size:  218.0 KB
    Name:  old_life_04 copy.jpg
Views: 1084
Size:  201.4 KB

Thanks
    Pssh, don't be sad -- rejoice in how far you've come

She's quite nice, I think.

Cheers

Look, see! Nifty art! http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99803

Hey! Check out my blog here

Thanks
    Hehe, thanks a lot AmontilladoAg!

My roommate scolded me for not posting up new things since I'm here to improve, and I totally agree with her! So here's something I've been randomly working on and off for a few days. Nothing special, just something random to work on faces since I've been having lots of difficulty with them lately =(

Name:  colors_1 copy.jpg
Views: 1035
Size:  233.4 KB

Wanted to try and make it look more painty~

I think I will attempt doing a bunch of these with different colors whenever I don't know what else to do!

Thanks
    I love you color Mood
    Nice Study^^

S.K.E.T.C.H.B.O.O.K

----------------------------
    Sorry for my bad english
    ----------------------------

Thanks
    You have very strong compositional, color-theory, and painting skills! It would be helpful to know what artists you admire and aspire towards. I don't know what direction you want to go in. All I can say right now is that whatever direction you've got in mind, it's fabulous.

Thanks
    Coming along. You've got to check out Loish over at Deviantart if you haven't already. Similar feel to your work. Study her stuff and I'm sure you'll learn a lot and get loads of inspiration.

http://loish.deviantart.com/gallery/

SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Ill respond to comments next time when im not so exhausted!

last night i decided to paint myself a self portrait. I did but it came out really horrible, partially because i used painttool sai which I haven't used in a really long time. I also havent done a portrait in a really long time! So! I challenged myself to do atleast one self portrait a night for a week. Im too ashamed of the one from last night but here are the sketches I did tonight

Name:  sp2 copy.jpg
Views: 974
Size:  197.9 KB

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.