Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Denae's Sketchybook! AHH!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Denae's Sketchybook! AHH!

Hi!~
    I've been eyeing CA for a while now and I finally worked up the courage to join and make a sketchbook. I don't think I'm on the same skill level as most of the people here, but I really would like to continue improving my artwork and I thought this would be a nice way to do it! So please critique away on anything you see, I would greatly appreciate it and any help anyone has to offer

For tonight all I have are some old unfinished pieces =( I started all of these back last summer some time and never had the will to finish them. Most I just never knew what to do with them, so if anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them.

First off! This was just a random idea that popped into my head one night while I was falling asleep so I doodled it up the next morning on paper and then painted over it in good old potatoshops. Don't know what to do with her
    Name:  leaf2 copy.jpg
Views: 1053
Size:  261.2 KB

Another very random thing I started a long time ago. I was trying to make her look rather disturbing looking what with the eyes and whatnot...I've been staring at it so long though I don't know if it worked! I think she was going to be partially underwater too...If you can call that black stuff water. Uhm...magic water?
    Name:  waterfairy4 copy.jpg
Views: 1057
Size:  171.4 KB

This I did with a mouse while I was at my friends school waiting for her to finish some projects~ Her face still bothers me quite a bit.
    Name:  fjdk(2)2 copy.jpg
Views: 1046
Size:  79.7 KB

And finally another picture I did while waiting at my friends school. Different day though! Supposed to be a little girl afraid of something she can't see, but she knows its there. Or...something like that...
    Name:  monster copy.jpg
Views: 1042
Size:  130.0 KB

Thank you for looking! I'll post something that I've actually done recently soon haha.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by DenaeW; April 10th, 2010 at 07:12 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DenaeW For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You definitely got some talent for painting characters and colours! I especially like the last painting, you did a good job on the lightning..this is gonna be an awesome sketchbook^^ I'm subscribed ;D

... Sketchbook ... DevART ...TUMBLR ...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh and thanks for dropping by my sketchbook ;D

... Sketchbook ... DevART ...TUMBLR ...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi DenaeW, welcome to CA.
    Your works and skills are very promising will definitely watch over this sketchbook.
    And what about finishing those pieces? Don't push them if you don't want to - they will lose some good feeling as it is now.
    Work as hard as you can on improving your skills (studies, imaginary stuff etc.) and you'll see what's wrong with them later. Maybe then you'll want to finish them.
    Best wishes and good luck with your SB!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm likin' these concept pieces -- especially the girl in the black water I think adding some highlights in her eyes and maybe some highlights in ripples in the water might help it look like water...

Show us more, plz!

Look, see! Nifty art! http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99803

Hey! Check out my blog here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fun ideas in here. The first one looks like the girl is blowing the seeds or petals off of the flower. I'd suggest making the seeds more prominent by detailing, adding some contrast (light seeds against a darker BG?) and perhaps just increasing the quantity. Also try to focus the eyes on the flower/seeds. Right now they appear to be gazing off to the right of it.

The scared girl image would look better if you separated the shadows and really defined the monster one so there's no mistake about it being a big scary monster. Maybe even shifting the light source to the left so that the girls shadow falls behind her and the monster's shadow directly in front of her.

Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kawauchi: Thank you so much! I feel like I still have so much to learn about lighting it's scary....haha. And I completely forgot to subscribe to you! Thanks for reminding me~

Mr. Juicy: Thanks so much for your thoughtful words. That's a lot of advice that I will definitely keep in mind.

AmontilladoAg: Thanks! I'll definitely test those ideas out. And I shall try! :>

Traveler: Ah thank you very much for pointing that out! I completely forgot about the dandelion and how...incomplete it was haha. I should atleast clean that up. And I didn't even notice her eyes! Thank you very much for that too :<~~
    About the shadow idea I would have never thought about separating the shadows, but that sounds like it would add a lot more of the depth I was looking for in that piece. I will definitely test that out as well. Thanks so much again!

I love this place already! I've been so tired after getting home from work that I haven't had the will to scan new things...I must fix this! I hope to start posting sketches that I've done throughout the day every night atleast

For now though...more old art I found! These are some life drawing studies I did last year as well. Oh how I miss life drawing so...

Looking back on these makes me sad...they're so stiff and not full of the flow I really enjoy now But oh well. You live and learn right??
    Name:  old_life_01 copy.jpg
Views: 1075
Size:  392.0 KB
    Really hate the woman with the profile in this one.
    Name:  old_life_02.jpg
Views: 1054
Size:  243.0 KB
    I still kind of like these.
    Name:  old_life_03.jpg
Views: 1080
Size:  218.0 KB
    Name:  old_life_04 copy.jpg
Views: 1064
Size:  201.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pssh, don't be sad -- rejoice in how far you've come

She's quite nice, I think.

Cheers

Look, see! Nifty art! http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99803

Hey! Check out my blog here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hehe, thanks a lot AmontilladoAg!

My roommate scolded me for not posting up new things since I'm here to improve, and I totally agree with her! So here's something I've been randomly working on and off for a few days. Nothing special, just something random to work on faces since I've been having lots of difficulty with them lately =(

Name:  colors_1 copy.jpg
Views: 1012
Size:  233.4 KB

Wanted to try and make it look more painty~

I think I will attempt doing a bunch of these with different colors whenever I don't know what else to do!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love you color Mood
    Nice Study^^

S.K.E.T.C.H.B.O.O.K

----------------------------
    Sorry for bad english

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have very strong compositional, color-theory, and painting skills! It would be helpful to know what artists you admire and aspire towards. I don't know what direction you want to go in. All I can say right now is that whatever direction you've got in mind, it's fabulous.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Coming along. You've got to check out Loish over at Deviantart if you haven't already. Similar feel to your work. Study her stuff and I'm sure you'll learn a lot and get loads of inspiration.

http://loish.deviantart.com/gallery/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ill respond to comments next time when im not so exhausted!

last night i decided to paint myself a self portrait. I did but it came out really horrible, partially because i used painttool sai which I haven't used in a really long time. I also havent done a portrait in a really long time! So! I challenged myself to do atleast one self portrait a night for a week. Im too ashamed of the one from last night but here are the sketches I did tonight

Name:  sp2 copy.jpg
Views: 948
Size:  197.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really enjoy your use of color!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like your style, the big eyes make everything very cute ^_^ its ace.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi friend...
    I really like the sketches, especially the middle. The composition of middle portrait, the noise is nice ^^
    I really wait for more updates and understand your question. Really drawing the realism is a headcache

S.K.E.T.C.H.B.O.O.K

Sorry for bad english

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent start to your sketchbook, sir. Regardless of your feelings on them, I really like your life drawings. I can't pick out anything to suggest improvement on from my experience level, so I'll leave it here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I adore the middle sketch. I can see wher eyou adjusted things a bit, but we all go back and do that. It, though, looks very nice. I'd love to see some fast color or values underneath it....!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 918 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    cool sketchbook you started here
    looking forward to seeing more keep it up
    have a good one
    till next time
    -Jamie

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow you make such great use of colour! I love that you're very bold with shape and colour, this is something I really struggle with. All your coloured pieces have this lovely glow and radiance to them, even the darker pieces, it's really beautiful.
    Your sketches are really nice too actually, now that I'm looking at them, I like that all the forms and expressions are really obvious yet you haven't had to shade them or do much cross-hatching to achieve that result.

Will definately be watching this thread more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The vibrant colours you're choosing work really nicely. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like what you have posted so far, but keep practicing and you'll be even better.

The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I normally hate these kinds of websites, but a friend of mine invited me.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Request to be added first.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gisaiagami: Hehe thank you! Yes realism is quite a difficult thing to get down...

Hannah.McGill: Thanks a lot! Hmm...there are so many artists that I admire, thats a tough question! Haha. Though I have to say the direction I'd like to go in right now is just get better with realism so that way when I try to do more free-flow work I can bend it as I wish and still have it look right hehe. I would also like to work on lighting and backgrounds which I don't have much courage for...I need to force myself to work on those next!

Traveler: Oh yes! She is a wonderful artist. That's quite a compliment haha thank you!

Inle: Thank you so much! That's nice to hear from someone who is much more talented with color~

Kitten Poker: Thanks! :>

MrParker: Thank you! I appreciate anyone's input

Iiridellia: Haha thanks! Yeah I was too lazy to touch it up...I just kept finding more and more wrong while working on it...which is usually what happens when I work on portraits. Especially self-portraits! And just for you I colored the middle sketch real quick! :>

OmertA: Thanks a lot!!

zepheenia: Aww thank you so much! :'> That's so nice. I really enjoy coloring and working with expressions especially, so it's nice to hear that they make their way across. I try really hard to bring them out.

mollymillions: Yay! That's good to know, thank you!

FightingSeraph: Thanks! Yes, practice practice practice

Wow that was a lot of comments! ;w; Thanks everyone~

My self portrait for tonight came out horrible again...blah...but I'm posting because I'm trying to keep myself motivated to post everything here, even the crap 8> Its so hard to draw myself...mostly because of my big crooked nose making everything all confusing 8[

Name:  sp3 copy.jpg
Views: 891
Size:  162.7 KB

And as I said I colored a sketch from last night really quick since Iiridellia was interested~It was fun practice. used a picture i took last night of myself with my webcam for color and shading reference.

Name:  sp2_col.jpg
Views: 873
Size:  121.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi dear
    I like the color, and ilumination.
    I just got a little confused with the shadow in the neck, you may lose that impression so the colors merge. I do not know whether to terminate or merging will leave only strokes
    But is a beatifull selfportrait =]

S.K.E.T.C.H.B.O.O.K

Sorry for bad english

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice job with the portraits. More, more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Self Portraits Days 1 and 2

Thanks guyssss~

ugh alright so i very much suck. I totally didn't keep up with that self portrait thing for long. The past couple days have been both rough and busy, thus the lack of updates. So I started over yesterday considering it was monday and figured I'd try again! Started another portrait last night but i was having so much fun with it i decided to paint it up a bit and finished it tonight :> Also fixed up the quick color job i did in the last post because I didn't see how sharp the shadows were under the neck. I work on a laptop so the tones are much more subtle then when I look at my pictures from my phone =( so thank you Gisaiagami for pointing that out for me! also changed the lips a bit because it was looking too monkeyish to me.

Name:  sp4_pt1.jpg
Views: 779
Size:  168.5 KBName:  sp4 copy.jpg
Views: 769
Size:  141.5 KB
    Last night sketch and then tonight painting. Sadly the closest likening I've gotten! XD Doing silly expressions is so much easier and more fun for me

Attached Images Attached Images  

28. The Following User Says Thank You to DenaeW For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good sketches

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your characters are so cute! Keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice study of light dear ^^

S.K.E.T.C.H.B.O.O.K

Sorry for bad english

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your bright colors make me happy.

Sketchbook
    I use MSPaint.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.