Sketchbook: Awww Right in the Sketchticles!!(its been done right?)

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Awww Right in the Sketchticles!!(its been done right?)

Hi im Mark, im 21 i live in Melbourne Australia and i have a shit job(and also work as a semi freelance graphic artist), this is my sketchbook dating from mid 2009 till now. The dream is to be a professional illustrator/Concept Artists/Storyboard artists etc etc.

UPDATE 2011: I quit my shit job in 2010, and started working as a freelance illustrator, I'm closer then ever to being where I want to be

This is me working towards that goal.

Attached Images Attached Images                                        
    Last edited by stormrider85; May 27th, 2011 at 02:21 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here some early digital stuff when i first got my wacom tablet 2-3 years ago.
    so 2007-2008

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More sketchbook stuff some old and new, its all over the place really.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All these are from my traveling sketchbook that i have used since 2008-2009 till yesterday!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All my recent digital stuff speeds, studies, finals, and wip

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice.
    -I like all the studies you've been looking into. Apart from form and structure, some rhythm and force (feels) is another I keep trying to understand.
    -The digitals look good - the apple especially (or I'm just hungry). This last face is scary as fark. Some shadow fixes like the nose shadow to his left eye could be added, still scary though.
    -I'll bring some notes on the next meet. You and I are pretty much on the same page/course and direction, so that makes it easier.

eddicomelab@hotmail.com, else bring a USB drive where I can dump some Photoshop brushes and such.

It is the hours that we put in, and the need to understand everything that'll free us from the confines and bounds of Shit.
    Shit comes in many forms, for example, my Shit tells me to hit the snooze button 9 more times, hawr hawr.

If there's anything in my sketchbook(s), blog that puzzles you, ask away. Cool bananas?
    (A lot of it is still guess work and uncertainty - but this year will be to test those experiments and processes)

Next meet mate.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's the rest of my traveling sketchbook, i corrected the levels of these scans so their easier to see, some of these are from the Melbourne sketch group. damn these are messy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are some character concepts for a comic me and a writer friend want to start,

i made a brush in photoshop that gives me some nice random shapes which i used to create this, i when i start the panels i wanted to have
    the background painted but im still not good enough
    at perspective to be happy with it,soon,soon.....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    friends band album cover WIP, i still dont understand colour so this has been really tough.

The second one is a quick speed painting done a couple of days ago

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -Variation in the strokes are still one of my battles with pencils.
    Line weights and all that bang.
    -The brushes are a good experiment. Before you define the brush, you can add translucency for further randomnimity .
    -I've still to come around to creating non-organic brushes.
    For buildings and structures - lots of geometric shapes and hard lines.

See you on Sunday Marko.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I drew some bums 2 days ago but i though it might be boring to look at so here are some digital studies, damn colour is so hard to understand,(its the evil nazi from enemy at the gates if you cant figure it out)

Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your portrait paintings are improving!
    Keep going dude.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    colour study, i obviously still don't understand colour for crap, second is a value study about 20 mins on each thumbnail, last one was just messing around in photo shop don't ask what it is cause i dont know either.

Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey great stuff you have here! I think you have great line control... are you using a mechanical pencil? A lot of your lines look soft- or rather, thin but carries pressure. I like best your anatomy studies, keep those up! Your also getting better at portraits in your digis, and I think you could do more landscapes. (I should speak for myself, but I have other focuses right now hehe)..

anyway, peace.

Behind every great master is a great student...

Imagination is more important than knowledge- Albert Einstein...
    _________
    NEW SKETCHBOOK -- http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...40#post3743640

OLD SKETCHBOOK: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...25#post2543225

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey mark..... had fun today at sketchity sketch. Awesome progress here in your sketchbook! Dedication is the key!.. .. .. and waking up after a quick nap.

sketchbook

Melb gra-FIGHT CLUB is on!
    Details here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

boring update

Heres some stuff that took me really long and didnt end up that great, but ima gunna keep on keeping on.

Dward: thanks for the replies and advice, yer my mobile sketchbook has messy linework mainly cause i rush to capture the pose, makes for a very ugly sketchbook but meh, btw WHERE ARE YOU! havnt seen you at sketchgroup for a bit, hope you show up soon.

Exon-Ion: thanks for the reply, im glad you see the improvment cause i sure dont yet, but soon.....

poetry man: actually i use just 2H and 5h pencils that are really sharp and then i press hard haha, and yeh ive been avoiding landscapes, is it that obvious :s , its cause i havnt studied perspective yet so i avoid it but ill definitely get started on it.

knoxie: thanks man, yeh i think i have insomnia or something, prob cause i hate having to work the next day i dunno, in my self portrait im looking at you

Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Fisherman

Small post, this took a couple of hours, i guess its some sort of ancient
    fisherman. I got inspired after watching a painting by daarken on youtube,
    as you can see my anatomical knowledge still needs work, but i feel its improving.

Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Quick update

quick update of digital stuff , for anyone paying attention on how often i update , i havnt been lazy i just have been doing alot of anatomy study in my sketchbooks and cbb scanning them cause their pretty boring, but if anyone really wants to see them just tell me.

again open to crits, i think i can take it lol

portrait from imagination,

colour study from photo,

and some rough desings for the comic studio logo that im starting later on its called wolf 13 studio.

Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi stormrider85- Thanks for commenting on my SB. I just finished looking through your stuff, I love the enthusiasm you have for your work. Good diversity, and you are definitely making progress. Keep up the studies. It would be nice to see more drawing from life too when you get the chance. Anyway, good stuff keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some really solid anatomical studies of the body but you should do facials also in that quantity you know. Your paintings are progressing as well so keep up the hard work.

the enemy at the gates painting was really good i could tell exactly who it was right off the bat

thanks for commenting on mine ima deffinetely use hard brush more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yo stormrider cheers for you comment on my sketchbook, love your stuff homes, your digital work is especially good, one thing i especially like is the fact that you use the whole page man apparently its a pretty bad habit wasting space like me, got the enemy at the gates guy straight away again nice work man

look forward to seeing more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dana brancucci- np ,yer i only got rough scribbles from life from melbourne sketchgroup, their pretty messy and hard to make out, if i do anything worth looking at from life ill be sure to post, thanks for the comment.

Lightmode108- thanks for the comment, yer i havnt gotten to the anatomy of the face yet :s i just finsihed the body today next is the neck, so im almost there, keep at it man.

MooK_HunteR-thanks for the comment, heres more.

very long colour study from the movie gattaca someone on their sketchbook posted really good site from movie caps which are hard to find. here it is for anyone who needs it...
    http://framefilter.blogspot.com/2007/05/gattaca.html

this study took 2 hours plus btw :o

Last edited by stormrider85; March 20th, 2010 at 09:27 AM.

Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for dropping by my book...

Your work has improved quite a lot since the beginning of your book in a short amount of time, good job, keep on going!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JustinBeckett- np man, thanks, its hard to see improvement from myself when i sometimes produce work that worse then the one before it, ah well i wont stop.

Heres a colour study and 3 paintings for the imagination, im actually having a go at colour from my head now

Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, cool stuff. I think some of your faces lack a bit symmetry. Do you use guidelines? (As in, a line for the vertical center, horizontal center and so on) If not, you should, it could help you a lot. Also, your lips are quite far from the nose, which in real life they aren't. Watch out for that. Awesome improvement, by the way. Even on just this page there's a big improvement.

Oh, and thanks for the comment on my sketchbook :]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dude! what are you talking about?.... your colours are better than mine!

gnomon have a good dvd "practical light and colour" which'll explain a lot of what goes on in reality which you can take into your imaginative work.

just keep going the way you are going and you'll end up where you want to be soon enough.

sketchbook

Details here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have excellent stuff here.
    The digital works are pretty good, some of the works show some lack of integrity in detail - I mean that some of the details look really good, but then some are clearly beyond the scope of your visualization at this point, so they don't fit in as good as the others.
    Oh, and the pencil in your sketchbook look pretty messy (random smudging much?)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by stormrider85 View Post
    [SIZE="3"]Hi im Mark, im 21 i live in Melbourne Australia and i have a shit job
    Let that drive you to work your ass off! DRAW! DRAW! DRAW! Keep it up and who knows where you'll be in a year or two.

your figure studies are definatly improving but try to make them more defined. You can still approach them loosly, but at the moment they are a little too scribly.
    your bones studies are looking fantastic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Finally an update!

Thanks guys for all the great crits and comments some i missed till now, i havnt posted for a while, but dont worry ive been hard at work doing tradition studies and studying every subject i can handle at once, im currently up to studying the face specifically the nose in anatomy, im studying perceptive from a book i bought, and studying colour but then later decided my knowledge in values is still very weak so i went back to value.

i take all crits seriously and try to address them after i read them or as soon as im able to get to that subject of study.

mr-roi- thanks for the great crit, no sometimes i just wing it and your right i should use guide lines i do use them now, and im also studying facial anatomy, i didnt really know about the distance from the nose to mouth thing till you brought it up and ive been paying attention to it, it also exposed alot of my proportion weaknesses, thanks again.

knoxie- dont know if its worth replying on here to you since ill prob talk to you soon, but anyway yer i got that dvd it did help but i think i dont know enough about colour pallet choices, and the colour wheel thanks for the support man.

VampireVlad-yeh i totally get what you mean, i always post speeds and i kinda focus on what i know then leave the rest, because of my lack of knowlegde im trying to tackle certain things at once so its hard to study everything but thanks man, youll make me pay more attention to what i put out and how far to push it, and yer my sketchbook pages smudge against each other cant really do much about it, as for it being messy i think cause i try to capture 30 sec figures as much a possible that it ends up looks like a page of scribble. thanks for the comments

a_mckeown-thanks for the support man, im goign to apply for uni end of this year so i can focus on art, and put out the best work i can, yer my sketching way of drawing starts to get out of hand sometimes, i constantly tell myself when studying anatomy that its not about values its about understand shapes so i kinda get the shape and move on, which ends up looks pretty crap, but thanks for making be aware of it.

Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    doooood! those value pieces are awesome. keep it up!!! Values are one of the most important things after line and composition. The more you do the stronger you'll be and then you can take over the world!!!

sketchbook

Details here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1