Serious Anatomy Issues

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Serious Anatomy Issues

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Serious Anatomy Issues

Alright I'm working on this drawing. and I'm having serious issues where to place the body structure. Any help will gladly be appreciated.

Edit: Updated 1/18/10

Name:  ImsorryIwasntthere_Rough2.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  26.0 KB

Last edited by babybro; January 18th, 2010 at 03:54 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice drawing. Most of the anatomy is cool IMHO but some of the things i noticed:
    - moms right hand is too small. Compare the size of her palm to her face. They should be about the same size in length.
    - Moms left arm should be more wrapped around the child in to hold that she's holding him back or bum. Right now the kid gives an impression of hanging only by the head
    - if you want to convey that her son is sitting on her lap connect her right leg more to his bum. if she is supposed to be holding him, draw his whole body more in a diagonal position.

Hope this helps and keep it going!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In addition the ShulChi's comments, IMO the kids head needs to be tilted more backwards and the kids head and neck need to be moved over to the left slightly

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Agreeing with what's already been said, I'd like to add a few other points.

The mother's left arm looks extremely stiff and rigid in it's current pose. Be sure to ask yourself 'why?'. Why is her arm in that pose? What purpose does it serve? As ShulChi suggested, it would be better if that arm was wrapped more around the child, supporting him. Then you have an answer to the question -- the arm is in that position because it is supporting the child.

The mother's back is also severely swayed. If you're going to have her sitting in this pose, try to lessen the severity of the curve of her back. Personally, I think she should be a bit more slouched, giving her back a more convex shape and incidentally also adding to the protective, motherly tone of the image. Again, it's a matter of really thinking about what you're drawing, why, and how the components interact with one another. Do you think it would be comfortable to sit bolt upright with a fairly large child leaning against your chest and no surface behind you for support (i.e. the back of a chair, a wall, etc)?

The mother's right arm looks a bit short, and should be a bit longer. The pose is a bit contorted, as well. Try to make the pose with your own arm. The position you have her arm in at the moment makes for an uncomfortable angle of the elbow.

One last thing I noticed is the child's lack of a second arm. If it is meant to be hugging around his mother's side, his chest and shoulders should be rotated more toward his mother. Otherwise, the pose he's in now should allow for at least partial visibility of his other arm.

Anyway, you've got a nice start with this. Keep up the good work, and remember: references are your friend! C:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, fantastic advice, thank you guys so much, I'm ready to give this a round two because I had no ideal as to what was wrong. With that said, I have no ideal how to search for references in this. like you don't see on google of parents holding their beat up child lol. So like how could I search?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You don't need a reference of a mother holding a beaten child -- you just need a reference of a mother holding a child.

But, of course, you don't even really need that. Feel free to use separate references for different aspects of the image -- such as one reference for the perspective of the mother's face, and another reference for the angle of her arm, etc. Most of the time I find myself using a loose reference (not copying it exactly) for the initial pose, tweaking it to my liking, and then finding various other images to help me out on parts of the anatomy which give me lots of trouble as I go along. You don't have to copy your reference exactly, just use it to help you better understand the way the object works.

There's a great thread on the use of reference photos here on CA. You may want to take a peek.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright well here is round two, it's still just a rough sketch because I want to make sure I have everything down pack before I turn it into a fully finish drawing. So right now I'm just using a crappy sketchbook at the moment as I experiment.
    Name:  ImsorryIwasntthere_Rough2.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  26.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It is not easy to paint two figures like this. Mee seems the womans left arm too short and not plastic. I do not understand the expression in the mothers face - is she angry?

http://www.female-anatomy-for-artist.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually she is suppose to be sad, and I ran into this problem last drawing. I just can't seem to get how long the arm is suppose to be on the left.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your drawing is severely handi-capped on all fronts. I would seriously reconsider changing themes. You are probably more apt to draw better that which most attracts you not repels you. See my work on my WEBSITE: www.jon-vlahos.gr or my Conceptart profile....hotha Jon vlahos

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I have to agree with Hotha - the real problem is not with this drawing in particular - it is your lack of understanding the fundamentals. I think you're getting way ahead of yourself which will interfere with your ability to develop your skills. You really need to step back and study your fundamentals before you can effectively handle somehting as advanced as this.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, that's not possible. I'm working on a print and one of the drawings for this print is suppose to be a preview from my first issue which represents the core aspect of it's correlating print.

To summarize it, I started a comic book business, and released a print called Kindred which focuses on these two characters as they are adopted brother and sister. However, the comic book world is not interested in merely drawings but bio's and information associated with the character. So our plan is release a newspaper of sort which has a bio of the characters with a profile piece next to them which I finished, and a small bio explaining their relationship with a preview image of my first issue from my comic. In that first issue, Angel, the little brother and boy in the image gets beat up and his sister comes in a bit late. So it's suppose to show her holding him after the beating he took.

So essentially, I have to do this image, not just because it's a part of my print that's already released. (The newspaper print hasn't been released and will be combine with my first print kindred to represent a combo first product) but also because it's going to be a scene with my first issue. So I can't just drop the piece. Luckily, I recently bought some anatomy and fine drawing books which should help guide me through the basics that I do not understand or miss, but at the same time, I'm going to complete this drawing. Not just because I have to, but also because I want to. If anything for the challenge in itself. So thank you guys for the help. I'll be giving this another shot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm a little confused why you have a business started and a comic lined up if your anatomy skills aren't quite up to par. The hands and arms of both characters are very flawed. I'm sure it's been said before but the mothers left arm is too short and lacks a wrist and the child's left arm is bent at an unrealistic angle and looks like it isn't part of his body. Also the child seems to have a tiny waist.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The business aspect was just so I could be able to sell legally if I wanted to sell stuff. My first print that I made is selling pretty good, and that's only with minimal advertisement. With that said, the reason why I started is because all of my friends, who range from professional to advanced artist said I should. That the best way to learn is to throw yourself out there. My friend gave a situation of him wanting to wait until he released his comic, but no matter how good he gotten, he felt it wasn't enough. His art teacher (he and my friends went to AI)
    told him the best way to learn was to experience, and essentially put told him to jump right in. he stated not only did his art improve in a faster pace, but he also gain the confidence to be able to perform the comic on his own. So, here I am LOL.

Luckily I have a few books coming my way and I start life drawing class tomorrow. So hopefully my life drawing teacher can also point me down right right direction.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It is true the best way is to jump in, but usually you should be jumping into the fundamentals. Pushing yourself is great and I encourage it but does that drawing look like something someone would invest in or buy? You should be pushing yourself in your understanding of anatomy, colour and light theory, etc. I think this 'flying by the seat of your pants' plan is setting you up for rejection and disappointment.
    Also what do you mean sell legally? You don't need a business to sell prints...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This drawing is just a sketch, merely to find out exactly what should be placed where. This drawing does not and is not intended to be a reflection of my finished product, but merely a placement to fit the puzzle pieces of where the arm goes, how foreshorten it should be and etc. That's why I stated I drew this on just a crappy sketchbook, once I figure out everything, that's when I give it the full heave ho.

You can visit snowstormcomics.com if you would like to see what my finished piece is like.

Thanks for the advice though, but I've been doing pretty well so far, and I'll be getting the fundamentals that I'm missing through my life drawing class and my books coming through the mail, so I'm not worried.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh and just want to clarify. In the state of california, you need to have a business license before you can legally sell items. So I'm not certain if you need to have a business in order to have a business license, but you do need to have a business license.

Who must have a permit?
    You are generally required to obtain a California seller’s permit if you sell or lease merchandise, vehicles, or other tangible personal property in California. A seller’s permit allows you to sell items at the wholesale or retail level. If your sales are ongoing, you should apply for a “Regular” permit. If your sales are of a temporary nature (90 days or less), apply for a “Temporary” permit. You cannot legally sell taxable items in California until you have been issued a seller’s permit.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.