Sketchbook: Neat Little Pictures - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Agreed with pennington, great improvement of you lines. Like the Bridgman exercises too. Keep up the hard work. The fruits come slowly but trust me they do come!

"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."
    -Anonymous

Jussi Tarvainen

BLOG

Sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey nice work i can tell you improved alot from the first posts to the later posts

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hiya, you commented in my sketchbook ages ago and I realised I never visited yours I usually try and return the favour.

Anyhow, hope you haven't given up updating, you can see definite improvement from the start Bridgman studies are paying off, I'm just about to start his constructing anatomy book. As for the gestures, they are really expressive and you can see improvement there, I think maybe if you start being a bit more deliberate with your line they will start to look really sweet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A bit rusty

Where do I start? If your viewing this, you may notice a good two year gap between my last update and my present one. If you assumed in these last two I haven't been producing, you would be correct.

Well, at least not very much.

Now, in the last 2 years I have grown and I've gone over two years of not smoking and that's a big deal.

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=182236

Right now that doesn't matter. Point is I have found distractions that kept me from drawing, and I intend on changing that.

a little bit at a time

some of these are older and some are from the last few days

I hope you enjoy my pictures and Critiques are always welcome.

Thank you

Attached Images Attached Images              

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gesture Drawings from the last couple days. Mostly 15 seconds

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A few selected gestures from the past few days. I promise I intend on showing some actual drawings, but time has been pretty unforgiving this week.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tried something a little different this time around with my gestures. Some turned out a little better than others.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More gestures.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep up the practise!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Don't let yourself get rusty with still lifes, its a bitch to get back in the groove.

More Gestures, and a still life, which, by the way, was a bit of a struggle, It's not very accurate, but I was more interested in shading it anyway.

catukas- Thanks for the support!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A couple things, I really gotta work on getting the whole pose on the page. Also, in case you were curious, I've been practising with http://www.pixelovely.com . Its quite nice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice book so far man. Keep them coming!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good morning.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am NOT happy with these.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have been struggling these last couple sessions. I need to figure something out about that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well it seems to me that You use too many lines.. try to use as less as possible for the picture to be cleaner

And don't forget to work hard everyday

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Glad you're back and kicking again. The important thing is to just stay with it. The beginning part is the most challenging since you're struggling to overcome the gravity of old habits that are pulling you away from starting (and sticking to) new ones.

Just keep at it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just so you know... gesture drawing won't teach you anatomy, really. That's what longer studies are for. Instead, the point of gesture drawing is to get the "gist" of something in loose, sweeping strokes. Don't worry so much about every anatomical detail and things like shading. Focus on the form and sense of taking up space, weight distribution of the model, and learn about things like balance, gravity, etc and how it affects the model's body. Also, remember that learning from photographs is probably one of the hardest things since it automatically flattens the image. You would probably be much better served going to a busy street and just drawing people. Or, if you happen to have a family member or family pet (that doesn't mind), follow them around and draw them. You'll learn oh so much more because you'll actually be drawing real people in real three dimensional space.

Do continue with the photo studies and gesture work, but know and understand why you are doing it and how best to direct your efforts. Additionally, don't be like me and forget to match gesture drawing with slower studies. Both are pretty essential to well rounded artistic growth.

If this makes little to no sense, feel free to ask me. I'll do my best to answer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    syrella - You are absolutely right. I might have lost sight of that. I am definitely gunna follow your advice. I guess I'll have to get outside and start drawing people, which kind of scares the hell out of me.

Mr.Pryminista - You are not kidding! Between the frustration and getting in to the groove of doing something new again, its certainly been a challenge. Thanks for the encouragement, its words like yours that help push me.

catukas - Yeah, That's something that I have noticed too, and intend of fixing.

Sorry, I didn't have time this morning to post any pictures, and probably wont be able to until tomorrow night

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by keevy39 View Post
    syrella - You are absolutely right. I might have lost sight of that. I am definitely gunna follow your advice. I guess I'll have to get outside and start drawing people, which kind of scares the hell out of me.

Mr.Pryminista - You are not kidding! Between the frustration and getting in to the groove of doing something new again, its certainly been a challenge. Thanks for the encouragement, its words like yours that help push me.

catukas - Yeah, That's something that I have noticed too, and intend of fixing.

Sorry, I didn't have time this morning to post any pictures, and probably wont be able to until tomorrow night
    Well, to practice gesture drawing, that is what I would recommend. Get out there and draw people in their "natural habitat".

To practice just plain' old drawing skills, practice things like perspective drawing and do lots of still lifes. Learn about how to represent basic shapes in 3D space and how to "construct" an image from scratch.

For learning human anatomy, signing up for a figure drawing class is probably your best bet. Short of that, you could also pick up a copy of any artist's anatomy book and work through them, looking at some of the muscles and bone structures. Bridgman and Loomis are the most highly recommended ones I see (for Loomis, you can find free ebooks on the internet, so no purchase necessary).

Long story short, everyone has their own little method of learning. Draw fun stuff so you don't get bored. If you stop seeing improvement, it isn't that you lack the ability to draw. You just might not be practicing as effectively as you could be. So don't lose heart! It's a long, slow road ahead.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Busted out the Bridgman. Starting my studies on that, did some poor still life.

My Sketchbook is too big for my scanner.

Going to sleep now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm still here. mostly been working on still lifes and Bridgman.

I have a goal of completing the Bridgman book. It will take a very long time.

Hope I didn't just jinx myself.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Back again, I got a lot of work a head of me.

Upon scanning , I have noticed a ton of errors. Mostly with proportions.

Going to sleep now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Keevy thnx for commenting. My tip will be look at the figure and try and capture it in a few strokes even I struggle to do this. Best place is ride the train or bus take a pen and look around and draw. Its pretty hard to do. But I see a lot of progress keep pushing ok.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man thanks for stopping by. I dont feel like I have been drawing enough ha ha. Too much time looking at SBs on CA. I really like the recent one you did. Is it beyonce?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aren't proportions annoying? Haha. I think they are my bane right now. Thanks for dropping by my sketchbook earlier. I appreciate the comments. I don't know why, but they always seem to be useful as "inspiration"! Good luck with your practice, too. I'll keep trying on my end, too!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's a shame you had that big gap, I was looking through and noticed an increase in skill as the posts went on and then gap made you rusty, life happens I suppose and I'm guessing you have learnt to continue despite whatever happens, some drawing is better than none.

that said, still some awesome studies, what is your current method of improvement?

If I happen to comment on your sketchbook, please don't feel obliged to comment on mine. use that time instead to get back to work.

CA sketchbook: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=245741

Deviantart: http://luthertaylor.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by luthertaylor View Post
    It's a shame you had that big gap, I was looking through and noticed an increase in skill as the posts went on and then gap made you rusty, life happens I suppose and I'm guessing you have learnt to continue despite whatever happens, some drawing is better than none.

that said, still some awesome studies, what is your current method of improvement?
    Yeah... I know. I've definitely been sit back a little bit, But I'm optimistic. Live and learn right?

As far as my current method of improvement? That's been kind of a hodge podge of different studies. Gestures, Bridgeman and Still Life. Mostly just to get a feel of where I'm at and what I'm doing.

My main focus right now is accuracy in proportions (which I need a lot more work),forms and lighting. After that, I think I start watercolours or something.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really need to invest in a smaller sketchbook.

Or a bigger scanner.

Still trying to focus on correcting proportions,

Started off as a still life, but was having issues with the lighting of the cup. so spent the rest of the hour working that out.

Just a quick gesture and just random noodleing from my bedroom window. Not really much to show, but figured it wouldn't hurt.

I'm using darker lead, which is nice because it mentally forces me to use fewer lines.

I'm taking a break from bridgman for a while, My current goal at this point is to get pretty comfortable with life drawing, and getting hand eye coordination before I get any more involved with anatomy. I bit off a little more then I could chew with that.

I realize these are all really quick and unimpressive stuff, the next few days will be spent on slower more rendered work,

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by keevy39 View Post
    I'm taking a break from bridgman for a while, My current goal at this point is to get pretty comfortable with life drawing, and getting hand eye coordination before I get any more involved with anatomy. I bit off a little more then I could chew with that.
    Sounds like we had a similar problem keevy, I did the exact same thing for the longest time.

Careful with the ellipses, I know you said they were quick, but an extra few seconds can make a world of difference in that respect. Otherwise just keep on drawing!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.