Beware!! Suspisous site.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Beware!! Suspisous site.

Hey -just found something odd over at IFX. Someone has posted about a new site called http://pixelinked.com in the finished section there. After recognizing one of the paintings from a new forumite there, I PMed him. He told me he had not submitted it himself. He was credited, but still... I don't like people that use other peoples art without asking first.

So beware and see if you are used without premision also.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Geir For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    At least they got credit. There's some other famous artist there too like:
    Linda Bergkvist, Bobby Chiu, and Hong Kaung.

I'm skeptical the site even ask to use their work since they didn't do it for the person you mention. By using other people's top notch work it would boost their web traffic to gain ad sponsors. It would be funny if they threw in a picture of Tiger Woods.

Make a sketchbook happy, feed it a tip to improve!

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85628

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would be very suspicious....I just saw one that was just posted over at CGPad....though I don't have time to message the owner atm...about to leave for work.

Oooooh....they even posted one of the interior pics from last month's IFX...."Rabbit Menace".

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I assume that as soon as they have 1 ad posted it means they are making money and therefor using the artwork becomes illegal. I could be wrong though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Penabled, if the CGPAD picture you are talking about are the painting by DerMonkey, he is the one I notified. So he know.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 598 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If you've been posting work online for any length of time you'll have stuff spread all over the web. A quick search of my stuff shows that I'm on several hundred sites, together with dozens of other names I recognise. No big deal as long as they at least provide a credit and don't fairy-ize it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah that would be the one....though as the site does seem to be giving credit to the artist, I guess it's not too bad...free advertising and all. Not sure how I would feel about it though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the attitude towards works put on the net should be portfolio, there's no way of stopping digital images from getting anywhere, but least they should give credit to the artist. Most works put on the net are there for the sake of portfolio anyway.

When business is involved it's another story even if it's non profit. Business people and entrepreneurs should know and understand that they should compensate all their workers. This is an ideal though, but businessmen or any up and coming business people should know that a bad working reputation is not something to go on.

There are artists and then there’s business people who needs to make use of art. It would be a worth while focus to educate new business thinkers to develop ways for them to be put into contact with the right people that would provide the material they need instead of them scrounging and scaling people’s work. Let's face it there's always room for more business when it comes to artists up for grabs. To create effective business thinking would mean happy artist.

The problem is, you don’t want a fully fledged legal agreement and contract with every experiment and on the web, and I don’t think the games here made profits, so how do they go about getting cool art in an acceptable way?

They themselves have Copy written their concept, so they can’t play innocent or unaware.

My advice to business people would be however to make sure you have consent in black and white, even work have been offered for free and without credit etc. Don't be a dumb ass. The cards could easily be turned against you if relationships go sour. False claims could be made against you and you could get your arse sued for cash you don't have. It's not necessarily Business people who could be doing the sharking, artists are well capable and have been doing some pretty creative stuff to record. Having been promised money but something did not work out etc. Make sure you protect your own reputation, wich is really hard in the world of artists.
    That's why they call it con-art and people really know how to rouse a crowd of people with pitch forks.

Last edited by George Abraham; January 17th, 2010 at 11:22 AM.
    ----------------------------------
    Scetchbook: View the exhibitionist's stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face

Hi People,
    I am the guy behind the Pixelinked (pixelinked.com) project site. ;D

Don’t be so skeptical about this project. I did not want, or even thought, to steal any image or credits!! The idea is to give you the started point for your inspiration, and be your digital bookmark. You can find here images of great illustrators and digital painting renowned gurus. The idea is to have only the best digital work and the best artists.

Some of the pictures were uploaded by the artists and some (70 %) were uploaded by me. Each day, will be added one or more startling images. The idea is to join all the best images of the web and make the artists recognized and known!! Check and see it, I always put some description, artist name, artist site. If you like the image, you go to artist site!! More traffic to him and possibilities of work! The idea is to have one site that aggregate this all great artist!!

Don’t get me wrong, I do it for love and for passion!! Of course the server has to be paid, the entire management and search of images, etc. Because of that I need to put ads / banners!!! If I can’t get that kind of support or donation, I will have to drop the site after one year… I can’t support the bills and I have put here more than 200 usd (host, theme, support). The site is online 10 days ago and I have 40.000 page views.

I always give the credit to the artist, some description and site. If you don’t want, I will drop your picture…. I think the artists, will have plenty of publicity and potential business. I just want to pay the bills with advertising, to keep this project online.

Share your images and be recognized
    You can also have the opportunity do submit your best images and be recognized and known.

What is wrong with this?

Thanks and sorry for any misunderstanding.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its great that you came here and were open about what your project is, but I think you'd get a better response if you simply made a submissions page on your website. Then you could post on a few other sites letting artists know that you are taking submissions, instead of asuming an artist wants to be on your site. I'm pretty sure that's how most similar sites do it, because I have sumitted my work like that. I'm happy to submit my work but I wouldn't be that happy if someone just took it off my site even if with good intentions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Amber,

The site already has the submit image page (http://pixelinked.com/submit/) and the about page (http://pixelinked.com/about/) talks about this project. Bye the way, I have update the page with more info.

Please guys, spread the word and help supporting this project. If anyone wants to donate, I will be grateful. The about page has the button for that.

I hope you submit some of your pictures

Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know it has a submit page, what I meant is use ONLY artists that submitted their own work or if you want to use someone else's work, send them an email and ask.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't mind it when people repost my work. It's just like showing it to someone else. :/ Maybe I am naive and don't understand the problem.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to JJacks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I also find it good that you come here and post to explain your actions. But that does NOT give any more right in useing artworks without getting premission from the artist first. You have used artists like Bobby Chiu and Linda Bergquist to get more people to submit seeing as they are popular artists. Why ever did you not ask them if they wanted to be on your site instead of just posting works of them without premission? This is my main problem. Your use of the works you have uploaded boarders to commersial use since you have clarly used them to get people interested and submitting their own works, and thus getting the ads you need to get the money you need to keep the site going. And thats illegal use of art works as far as I know.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Dozeren,

I don't know but I think you are over reacting. Do not worry, in the next few days all of them will be informed. Give me some time.

I think the artists, will have plenty of publicity and potential business... but they will decided. Like I have said, I need the ads to support this project, not for business (commercial stuff).

Peace friend, we are all in the same side ;D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    See, here's the thing, rbfigueira. We OWN our work, and it'd be nice if we got some say as to where it's used. Some folks, for whatever reason, might not want to be affiliated with your site. There are a couple of my clients who are fine with me displaying their commissions in my portfolio but not necessarily all over the web. It's not for YOU to say where an artist displays their handiwork, even if it's credited (unless the artist has made a statement on his website allowing use with attribution). I know you meant well, but it was the wrong thing to do. Sorry bud.

“The moment you think you understand a great work of art, it's dead for you.”~Oscar Wilde
    My Inglorious Portfolio!

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to quickreaver For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi friends,

Thanks for all and sorry all those misunderstandings.
    Bye the way, I hope and I will love to see some of your work (upload) in this site ;D lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by rbfigueira View Post
    Hi Dozeren,

I don't know but I think you are over reacting. Do not worry, in the next few days all of them will be informed. Give me some time.

I think the artists, will have plenty of publicity and potential business... but they will decided. Like I have said, I need the ads to support this project, not for business (commercial stuff).

Peace friend, we are all in the same side ;D
    It's a matter of principal. Something you clearly lack. Several of the artists you have put up on your site has been notified by me. I know some are looking deeper into the matter.
    Show some principal and respect for artists works.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good day

Calm friend. Like I said, I had no malicious intent (I think you still don't get it).
    Bye the way, so far I have not received any email (artists) to remove any image. As I said, I am starting to contact all of them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I understand that it's not malicous meant. But as Quickreaver said, not everybody want their picture spread around for several reasons.

It's the prinsipal. Don't YOU get THAT??? If you don't you are not profesional enough to deal with other professionals.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JJacks View Post
    I don't mind it when people repost my work. It's just like showing it to someone else. :/ Maybe I am naive and don't understand the problem.
    I love Marie's apple pie. In fact I'm such a nice guy I want to help promote her and share it with the world. I run up to her pie stand when she's not looking and "borrow" some of her baked goods. I then drive around town giving away free samples, spreading the good word of Marie's apple pie. People are interested in her pies while others are starting to sponsor me for telling them about good food. Even nice guys have to pay for gas. I have to find some way to pay for the trips while helping Marie right? And If I do a good job I might get enough sponsors to get a faster car.

You know next week, screw Marie's apple pies. I'm not getting enough sponsors. I love Bob's honey dumpling. In fact I'm such a nice guy I want to help promote him and share it with the world. I drive up in my fancy new car up to Bob's dumpling stand and I...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Friends,

I have contact all the artists and I am getting great feedback ;D

By the way, I have also updated the pixelinked about page:
    - Add information about my self.
    - Add Copyright and disclaimer (also in the site footer).

If anyone has to say anything about the (Copyright and disclaimer)... please post !
    I want to do it right

Best regards,
    Pixelinked Project
    http://pixelinked.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by rbfigueira View Post

If anyone has to say anything about the (Copyright and disclaimer)... please post !
    I want to do it right

Best regards,
    Pixelinked Project
    http://pixelinked.com/
    JEEEZZ... you should be a tad more professional. This is thing you should KNOW. You can count yourself lucky if you don't get in trouble for this.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.