Drawing in perspective from environmental life studies
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Drawing in perspective from environmental life studies

Say you're sitting in the park with your laptop and tablet and decide you want to paint what you see.

Well, whenever I sit down to do environmental life studies like this I can never paint in proper perspective and everything ends up looking really skewed.

Do some of you lay down a grid in photoshop before going at painting environmental life studies? Or what tips are helpful for doing work like this?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, first, you should find the horizon line on the enviro, don't search as hell, it's right in front of you, draw it on the canvas, then, try to find the vanishing points, and put them on the canvas ! be carreful, vanishing points are really far from each other, peoples tend to draw them too close, like both of them on the canvas, and it creates too much distortion ! you'll never have both of them in the canvas at the same time, exept in rare situation, there will be at least one in the canvas, and the other one far on the left or the right, or both out of the canvas ! with that, it'll be easy to set up a good perspetive! then you could begin by drawing the big shapes, continu with the small ones, and keep adding details until you think you've finished, and that's it ! Good luck with your work dude !

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kikindaface For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the tips. Shouldn't there be three vanishing points though? One from the top or bottom, one set from the left, and one from the right?

If I understand vanishing points correctly, then the top or bottom one shows the vertical perspective, and the vanishing points from the left and right show horizontal perspective. Is this right?

I took a class that had a section on perspective but I probably didn't pay as much of attention as I should have.

P.S Kik, if you give me a good understanding, I'll thank ya twice.

Last edited by yahdood; January 16th, 2010 at 10:41 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 752 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The vertical vanishing point is if you're looking up at a scene, or down on one. If your view is perfectly horizontal, all vertical lines are (typically) drawn parallel.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    +1 for noah, he explained it well ! to be fully aware of how the vanishing points work, i think you should find some pics on google, about cityscapes, with a nice perspective, and find the vanishing points ( http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=108793 for more explanations ! ) C you man !

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kikindaface For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.