Sketchbook: Mostly portraiture and other ramblings.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Mostly portraiture and other ramblings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Mostly portraiture and other ramblings.

I've been a long time visitor here, but mainly just floating around finding things I like and learning from what people have to say. Thus I'm going to make a start, something which will encourage me to stay and develop.

Basically I'm 18, named Lewis, and currently studying in a fine art foundation hoping to have a revelation as to what I want to go on and do. I've meddled in portraiture in the past, some of which is on: http://jangmai.deviantart.com/ but I rarely have much to do with that site.

For the moment my work is surrounding perception, especially the perception of self. Thus I'm going to be going on to do more self portraiture. Currently I'm studing the good old stereotype of eyes.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Start of my work, some simple eye sketches. Done in ink because I spend too long with graphite!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, these are great! I love the first and the third eye. Very intense.
    And yeah, graphite really sucks up time doesn't it?

Your work is very impressive and realistic, I could see you in Fine Art for sure! Also, I'm almost your age and your skill level makes me ashamed! Interesting subject you want to work on, too, I'll be glad to see the results as you post them!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice little studies. Refine that crosshatching a bit and and your stuff will gain a lot of strength.

Let's see some more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some monoprints I've done today. Restricting myself from having too much influence on the results. These are a few of many which I produced, rather pleased with some of them. Self portraiture.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A few observational drawings which I did today. Self portrait with mirror for the nose/mouth/eye ones... others are just observational. Also a still life drawing done from a few weeks back.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Beautiful work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really accurate, I can tell you've spent a long time learning to draw eyes that well

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A couple drawings which I've done in the later part of today. My PC's decided to die to a virus so I've been having fun. Just a couple observations from the national geographics 'In Focus'.

Also, anyone have any recommendations for scanners? I could use an A3 one, but I have no idea whats good and whats bad!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love your art. It's so pure, clean, just really great. Hope you post more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Freddie Williams says in his book "The DC Guide to Digitally Drawing Comics" that he uses a Mustek 11.7 x 17 in. scanner. I believe you can get them on Amazon and elsewhere for under $200 US.

The study of the girl's back looks good but watch those proportions. The hand looks really small. I find that it's sometimes helpful to compare the hand and head sizes to keep proportions relatively accurate.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Ariel9: I agree with you as to which ones work. And as you said, its mostly because I kept the cross hatching under control making them more defined in a strange paradox. Thankyou

@Traveler: I'm going to do more cross-hatch sketches, as you said, the more refined pieces have much more impact. Also I'll have a look for that scanner, thankyou for the suggestion. I've just never sure what amount of DPI, or colour range etc etc is classed as 'good'. And yes, the hand is a little too small. It is foreshortened in the image, however I think I managed to slightly exaggerate it.

And thankyou all for the possitive comments

Last edited by Jangmai; January 23rd, 2010 at 06:25 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just some more practice. Also trying to refine biro cross hatching. Theres some posemaniac's too. Either 30 or 45 second studies. I drew a self portrait on DS colors which I was really pleased with... only for the file to corrupt when the battery powered died when saving. Sad face.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice Start!

I'm liking the pen and ink eye studies.

Keep posting.

Looking for Feedback! Please visit my sketchbook..

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=178181&page=8

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Beginning of a self portrait I began today. Did several hours until the light had changed too much. I've never attempted skin tones before, but from what my laptop monitor shows I'm fairly pleased with em. (though the colours are likely to transfer horridly knowing my luck!) Shall do more tomorrow if I have any light when home from college.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Couple quick sketches of environment attempts. I've never tried em before, but it was quite a fun experience Ref used for snow lighting~ And also I've discovered alchemy, so I've been playing about with that too. Might upload several studies that I've been doing later...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Self portrait which I've been doing this morning. Just trying to get tonal values correct. Going to attempt another with different angle/lighting now...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That last portrait is looking pretty good. I think it would benefit by a thin, hard, dark edge on the (viewer's) right side of the face. That would add some separation from the hair and help to bring out the shape of the face more. Otherwise, a hint of texture can really add a lot of visual interest. Try something like a scatter brush at low opacity and small size.

Check out http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...=177892&page=2 for a pretty good example of subtle skin texturing. Especially on Brad Pitt and Takashi Ohira.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WIP of tonights endeavours. The other portrait was more simply practice in values, but I took upon your advice and started another with both in mind ;D

Will return to it tomorrow, but ofc I've only rendered a small section of the left side of my face... and I've learnt alot D:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First things first: I hate essay writing and charcoal/conte! But both of them I can and will learn to live with ;D

More self portraiture studies, one of two coloured conte drawings, quite pleased with the overall result. Although I have some strange thing which I'm trying to overcome when placing the second eye in drawings. Sometimes I tend to go horridly wrong! But I haven't used pastle/conte/charcoal in years so meh, not all bad. Second one is charcoal/chalk.

Little white pencil drawing done with a single light source, going to do a full series of them moving the light very slightly at a time.

And some general drawing/practise. Done alot of anatomy practise from some of the e-books linked on here, but I won't post them for now :3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the colours of the self portrait are too saturated(maybe its just me), the rest of them are very good. I liked the lighting of the one with black background

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really dig the last batch of updates,
    why don't you try doing a fully worked out scene with that kind of intensity?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    leanunlibro: I agree, I was working from my laptop if you mean the skin-tone portrait. The monitors colours are fairly off when I browse it from elsewhere. And thankyou ;D

Helioth: At this part of the foundation course theyre more focused on ideas/research not on finished polished pieces. But I'm intending to do some A0 sized drawings or complete oil paintings when I decide upon what style

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Started a Sargant study on the laptop which I intended to continue on the PC. But on transfer I can truely compromise how the laptops monitor loses the colours in bright tones.

Thus I'll start another in a moment, rather than fix this one:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, conte/chalk is really hard, but you pull it off so well! Also, I like the Sargent study, but I totally understand why you need to give up on it, laptop/PC transfer is a total pain and messes things up.
    Keep working your magic

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ariel9: I agrre, conte/chalk are a pain! I always get so far through something and end up accidently smudging or smearing any details. Also, hoping that I've redeemed myself with this study ;D

Another Sargant study, this time done on my PC, thus the colours should be more truthful

No eyedropper tool, trying to choose colours through sight. And really enjoying it ;D

Oh and I've ordered painter, as I've tried the trial and felt that it would be a great asset. And one I'd eventually end up having to get anyway. Also planning on starting an A0~ sized pencil drawing, but currently planning the technicalities! Otherwise known as procastrination.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally I post after a month of turmoil and moderations. I found that art had become a bit of a struggle and that I was lieing to myself about what I really wanted to do within it. Because I'd always done Fine Art I kind of kept within my comfort zone. But in my heart I kind of knew that the whole comtemporary art scene wasnt for me... and that I'm really more of an illustrator

Thus I've had a month of finishing work that I know isnt what I want to do, and that I'd lost the will for. But now all that is abandoned and 'finished' I can get on with what I really enjoy. Some good old drawing: (I'm looking at personal items and going to work them into more illustrative pieces)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The last few drawings are looking good. I'm glad you came to terms with your path. Now just keep on drawing.

... and don't forget to have fun!

Members who have read this thread: 1