Sketchbook: Greyskill's Sketchbook! - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey again

Really interesting way with lines on the digital piece. The pencil studies are looking good, particularly the one of the girl.

I'll keep checking up on you, so keep up the good work!

Take a look? - Sketchbook - Tumblr -
    Also, why not check these guys too?

Krysjez - Clur
    Cheers
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Naidy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice stuff in here, you make a good progress I think. Have you tried to color more of the stuff you draw? I think it's the same problem I have to go from pencil to colored work... :/

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Blauringkraken For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

bonjour

heyy : D
    love the picture you did with your mouse!
    the pencil studies are awesome : ) keep them coming!!
    good luck with your computer!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Niam For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -Naidy
    Heyya! Yeah, the for the outlines I just made a the whole silhouette first using a natural brush and eraser. Then I did the painting of the face and skin over that in greyscale using soft semi opaque brushes.
    Thanks for stopping by!

-Blauringkraken
    Yeah, I think that you probably are right, I should do more stuff with color.
    The problem is, the only coloring method I am very comfortable with at the moment is digital painting, and I am limited with that right now because of computer issues.
    Though, I guess I could use this computerless time to try to build up some watercolor skills, I love watercolor.
    HEY, you are good with watercolors, and so is Naidy, maybe both of you could give me some pointers if I were to post some of that here! That would be helpful. Thanks a bunch!

-vivi
    Bonjour! Thank you very much, I'll keep working! You keep working too!

Alright, I finished the Skull section of Riven's Structure of Man, now I just need to put it into good practice! Here is some work towards that goal. There are also some doodles and some post apocalyptic robot hunters..

Name:  sketchbook95.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  259.1 KB

Name:  sketchbook96.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  233.2 KB

Name:  sketchbook97.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  382.4 KB

Name:  sketchbook98.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  255.4 KB

Name:  sketchbook99.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  485.8 KB

Name:  sketchbook100.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  242.2 KB

Thanks again everyone! More to come!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very cool studies man! keep it up !

DEMO REEL

MYSKETCHBOOK

DeviantID

9. The Following User Says Thank You to KromNz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -KromNz
    Thank you sir! I will keep it up, and thanks for the post!

Today I wanted to make finish stuff day! So I drew a drawing that I finished, and even colored it on photoshop, and I also did a watercolor painting. Here they are.

I would really like any critiques or comments on this one, because I really am not that experienced with watercolors.
    I have really only worked with it a couple of times
    This is actual size pretty much, at least on my monitor.... It is a pretty small painting..
    Name:  sketchbook101.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  212.1 KB

This is the original sketch. I used a range of pencils for this because I have been finding that my drawings have been looking too scratchy with just a 2b.
    I think that helped...
    Name:  sketchbook102.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  268.6 KB

Here is a quick color with color layers, I like how it came out I think..
    Name:  sketchbook103.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  293.3 KB

P.S. Thanks Blauringkraken for the idea to do some stuff with colors! =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are some more Riven Phoenix studies and a quick mouse painting...
    I just realized that the painting is way too dark... I don't care though, because it stinks...

Name:  DarkWarrior.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  148.3 KB

Name:  sketchbook104.jpg
Views: 834
Size:  438.0 KB

Name:  sketchbook105.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  453.0 KB

More stuff later...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stuff, stuff,stuff...

Not too happy with this post, but I'll get over it...

I have been reading through Aaron Diaz's blog. Aaron is an artist and web comic writer, who write's the comic Dresden Codak.
    I enjoy his comic, but what I really a have really enjoyed is his articles on character design.
    He is very intelligent and has put together some very helpful tips and instructions on this. He also is a very talented and skilled artist. I love his style, go check him out already!
    --->http://dresdencodak.tumblr.com/

Here are some studies of his work, and some stuff that is inspired by it..
    I really like this style and I would really like to be able to draw like this, It is always confusing to try to figure out if I should try to narrow myself down to a style.
    Should I try to learn to render realistically and go from there?
    There are so many different types of styles I really love..
    The tough part is I am not really to good at using any of them at this point....
    EMO!! :'(

These are the STUDIES!!
    Name:  sketchbook107.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  109.1 KB

These are the junk things...
    Name:  sketchbook106.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  233.3 KB

I have been going along with the riven stuff, here is some of that...

Name:  sketchbook108.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  181.7 KB

Name:  sketchbook109.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  313.4 KB

And to finish off this post, here is a really crummy painting I did the other day! =D
    Name:  Soldier01.jpg
Size:  167.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -greyskill
    Thanks for your post, keep up the good work sir!!

Well, my computer has been working for the past few days.
    I went downstairs last week and pulled a cpu fan out of the decayed remnants of a computer that had passed on,
    and then inserted it Frankenstein style into my computer. It doesn't seem to overheat anymore, and it now glows blue,
    two great things for the price of one... Free is apparently the price of one...

ENOUGH RAMBLING!

Here is a page of Aaron Diaz inspired drawings.
    I was concentrating on expression though form and design.. All from imagination

Name:  sketchbook111.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  365.1 KB

These drawings are more cartoony expression studies..
    Name:  sketchbook112.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  120.3 KB Name:  sketchbook113.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  127.5 KB

Some Riven studies.
    I can really feel the anatomical knowledge in the rest of my drawings though, it is kinda cool!
    Name:  sketchbook110.jpg
Size:  312.7 KB

Be back soon!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -Sean McClain
    Thanks sir! I will DRAW DRAW DRAW!! =) You keep at it too!

Here is a wip of a painting I am doing for CHOW..
    This is my first time trying to submit something for CHOW, I am kinda excited..

Mouse painting as usual, far from finished, Tell me what you think if you care to!

Name:  ApocalypaladinWIP02.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  70.0 KB

Name:  ApocalypaladinWIP01.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  39.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another WIP
    I like painting in this style, it is fun and it is easy for me to visualize and try things out without ruining the entire painting.
    I like working in layers, perhaps too much. This image must have nearly 35 layers.

Name:  ApocalypaladinWIP03.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  101.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for requesting this late, greyskill... :/ I just saw you already did some water color things. I'm really not a pro with this, I ensure you, but if I were you, I would try to focus on the overall mood of the picture, not the single objects in the picture. I saw you painting the lake. And the tree. And the grass. And the background... As you asked me to give you something you can work with, I tried to remember what I was thinking about while I do my stuff.

Fist thing... I would not use a single color for an object. I think you worked out every object for itself... that makes the picture look a little 'trown together' (is there a better word? I am not from America ^^). I would try to match the mood with the color expression by choosing more/less saturation.

Second thing: Reflections/Light. I found myself just painting the main color shapes to define what it looks like. Maybe that is a better way. You should also try to use wet to dry, wet to wet and the other techniques to get a better feeling for the material you are painting. (i.e. I made a very defined color at the glass at my train station, reflecting the sky).

One more thing: If you use Photoshop to color your pencil sketch, try the following (saw that in post #97 i.e.):
    1. Open your picture.
    2. Picture - Corrections - Gradiations
    3. In this you can find a white eyedrop-tool. Use it by clicking on the gray mud in pencil drawings to get rid of the gray blur... (with this you define the color that should be white)
    4. Redefine your outline with the burn-tool.

First PIC: The tools.
    Second PIC: Random picture from you, by using two clicks. (Hope you don't mind, I just want to show you how it works)

I will make some screenshots for you.
    Keep it up, we are all here to learn! :D
    Cheers! Steffen

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Blauringkraken; March 25th, 2011 at 08:38 AM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Blauringkraken For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -Blauringkraken
    Thank you so much! This is really helpful.
    So I should think about a watercolor painting more as a whole object than the individual parts?
    I'll try to do that! I'll also look up the techniques you talked about before I do another watercolor.

Thanks also for the tip on how to get sketches to look better,
    I have been experimenting with that and i just haven't been able to come up with a method that really worked well.

Also, you type English very well, much better than many native English speakers.

Here is another wip of the paladin. I added another character to the painting. She is supposed to be an apprentice or squire or something...

Name:  ApocalypaladinWIP04.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  176.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your post! I really like your wip so far, especially the small one. :D
    So I should think about a watercolor painting more as a whole object than the individual parts?
    Part yes, part no. The problem is: I recognized by myself, that looking only at single parts lets you loose the view for the overall painting. Many artists use the shape method - as you said - and then put in a gradient beginning at the light source. It helps to keep focus on what you are doing. Here is a link where I can show you what I mean (awesome channel, look at it btw!) LINK beginning at about 6:00 min. The problem is by adapting this to watercolor because of the different functions you only have at computer. I wanted to point out, that rendering part by part may result in a picture messed up with many parts that dont fit together (and so just don't create the mood you want).

Also, you type English very well, much better than many native English speakers.

Ah, and one thing: What kind of books do you use to learn from? Loomis? Vanderpoel? Bridgeman? Hogarth? Bammes?

I'm excited to see more!
    Yours, Steffen

Last edited by Blauringkraken; March 25th, 2011 at 07:48 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Blauringkraken For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -Blauringkraken
    Thanks, that was a really helpful way to show me what you meant. For some reason I separate technique used for digital and traditional art in my mind.
    Also, thanks for showing me that that youtube channel exists! I love FengZhu, he is one of the people I learned to use silhouettes from.

Books, I have used are, Bridgman's Constructive Anatomy, Loomis' Drawing the Head and Hands. Those are the ones I have used most. I like them for anatomy reference, but sometimes I have trouble learning technique from books. I guess this is because I am an audio visual learner and I like to see people do things..

I actually learn better from videos, which makes me even more excited about you giving me the link to those videos.
    I am currently learning from Riven Phoenix's The Structure of Man video series, and I am really loving it. He really goes through the figure and helps you learn to build it in a way that allows you to reliably reconstruct it from memory.

Thanks again for the help!

I think that my Chow entry is about finished. I am gonna post it here, but I might change it before I submit it tomorrow. Any critique or comment would be helpful, thanks!

Name:  ApocalypaladinWIP05.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  229.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are welcome! And that is a bunch of very good books to use and learn from. I myself use Gottfried Bammes (Die Gestalt des Menschen) & ANATOMY (Vol. 1) of Imagine FX-Special. But I ordered some of the other stuff lately, I think it's good to have a wide range of different people you can learn from. But in this point you are right: It's good to see people actually work. It helps to get a better understanding of the way people are going to create/arrange/build everything and how to alter/render to the finish picture.

Ah, one thing more that really helped me to see progress (I recognized this as I watched over your sketches again), is to show yourself how sure you do a stroke. Your first-page sketches were messy with small and much scribbly lines that build the figure. Your later sketches were much more defined and have a much better dynamic with the pencil. Keep that up! And have fun Would be glad to see more anatomy studies from you.

Yours, Steffen

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Blauringkraken For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -Blauringkraken
    Thanks, I'm glad that you can see more confidence in my linework. I really do have more confidence about laying down good strokes, and I hope that as I gain even more confidence the strokes get much better. Also thanks for the tip on fixing scans, I think it works much better than messing with the levels..

Here are some more studies, and some other stuff, like costume studies...

Name:  sketchbook114.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  249.6 KB

Name:  sketchbook115.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  300.8 KB

Name:  sketchbook116.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  94.9 KB

Name:  sketchbook117.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  275.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh oh! I saw your CHOW entry, I didn't realise it was yours for some reason. Really awesome work and I admire your courage to join the challenge.
    As usual you're mixing in some good studies, you got yourself a schedual for them or something? Either way I admire the dedication.
    Keep up the good work as usual, mate. that's all I can say really. C:

Take a look? - Sketchbook - Tumblr -
    Also, why not check these guys too?

Krysjez - Clur
    Cheers

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Naidy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -Naidy
    Thanks! It turned out to be a lot of fun, and it was cool to be able to see so many different levels of artist working together and just having fun working on a concept..

Heh, my schedule on a normal day is to do anatomy studies until I am sick of it and then force myself to draw something else that is more fun, like characters.
    It feels like I'm more likely to do the stuff I don't like as much if I do it first.. =P

I think that I should do more... I feel that I don't do enough, but something is always better than nothing with practicing...

Here are some studies of some Sargent paintings and stuff,
    and then some applied costumed character drawings trying to pull stuff from the studies I just drew..
    I tried to do the studies to get more of a feel of the character of the painting's subject in a gesture than to copy details...

Name:  sketchbook118.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  147.3 KB

Name:  sketchbook119.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  384.2 KB

These are the ones from imagination..
    Name:  sketchbook120.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  235.5 KB

More stuff soon hopefully..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice character ideas!
    Keep up the anatomy study your character design will benefit from that.
    Since I've studied production design and I'm a little obsessed with historical accuracy, my advice is look at paintings of that period or photographs and after you can interpet them in you personal way.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to *Rena* For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey greyskill! I'm back here, and your clothing stuff is a good start. One thing: Learn drapery! Start with a towel or something. It sounds stupid, but it is one of the things which are really necessary and give your drawings so much more feeling. (I need to do that too...)

Another thing: Try to draw your poses in balance... it just feels wrong to see someone standing vertical. Keep up practicing!

Yours, Steffen

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Blauringkraken For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -Rena
    Thanks Rena. That was what I was working at,
    but I probably should do them while actually caring more about details.
    I kind of felt like doing loose gestury drawings when I did those.
    Those were all from Sargent painting by the way..
    I'm gonna keep working hard on those anatomy studies, I can sort of feel the effects in my drawings already.
    Thanks for the post.

-Blauringkraken
    Yeah, I should draw some drapery, good idea.
    Maybe I should just draw from a lot of things like pictures of people wearing jeans and t-shirts after I understand the drapery better too.

I'm not sure what you mean about standing vertical, but I do see how the dude on that last drawing is pretty out of balance..

Here are some really quick mouse photoshop faces.

Name:  SomeFaces.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  238.3 KB

I did some other drawings today but they were all lame and crappyish... All the eyes on these are purposely obscured..

[Edit, Can't get the picture to show up, will try later...]

Last edited by greyskill; April 5th, 2011 at 07:41 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm so glad that images are back now!
    Also, I am double glad that the reason they dissapeared in the first place is because they are adding a batch uploader!
    It will be so nice once that is up and working!

Anyway, I have decided nearly a week late to join the current CHOW.
    Today I am still in the character planning phase, so I don't have anything impressive to show.

This is a color test for the characters that will be in my scene.

Name:  RidingHoodColorTest.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  163.1 KB

I have some sketches and thumbnails and a character sheet for Red, but I am too lazy to scan them atm..
    That and my younger brother is playing Fallout 3 on the computer hooked up to the scanner...

The style is heavily Clochette inspired. I really like her work, and I thought,
    "Hmm who would do a really awesome illustration of Riding Hood?" and She was the first person to come to mind...

I am going for a more fantastical version of Little Red Riding Hood.
    I want the forest to be dark and magical, and the wolf to be some sort of strange anglerfish wolf....
    I thought of this because of how deceptive he is...
    Blah, blah, blah......

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice sketches! explore other ways to sketch down Ideas and to study stuff. Even if its just using a different pencil or turning it on its side. I noticed you like to smudge the graphite to make a flat tone, you might like using willow charcoal.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Malakuko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -Malakuko
    You're right, I should try to mix it up some. That would probably be good.
    I'll admit I am a little too much obsessed with flat tone, thanks for bringing that to my attention.
    I think that I should really work on rendering more realistic shadows, but it always seems so difficult.
    I guess that most things that are worth doing are difficult... Thank you very much for the post Malakuko!

Here is my long overdue SB update..

Here I was trying to work out a face and style for my character. Some of the sketches on this page are from some Clochette drawings.
    Name:  sketchbook121.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  216.7 KB

This is mostly thumbnails and the wolf's design.
    Name:  sketchbook122.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  223.2 KB

Character sheet for Red...
    Name:  sketchbook123.jpg
Views: 1038
Size:  186.6 KB

This I believe will be the composition for the final piece..
    Name:  sketchbook124.jpg
Views: 1046
Size:  435.8 KB

A Sargent study and a study of a random punk guy...
    Name:  sketchbook125.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  217.7 KB

Some bones...
    Name:  sketchbook126.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  185.4 KB

More stuff later.. Hopefully soonish!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your post, greyskill! I hope, I can do the flowers half as well as the oilrig ^^ Argh, the figure drawing stuff... no, I was too lazy the past days, but I will keep that up in the future. I'm working at the Bridgman books currently, so anatomy is still a great part of what I do (in fact: human anatomy is the major theme for me in 2011).

I really like your Little Red Riding Hood, this is stuff you can definately do more than it actually is. (I think there is a movie comming soon, but I don't know if it's good... I doubt that XD). Keep up posting and I'd like to see some WIP stuff when it gets to computer!

Yours, Steffen

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Blauringkraken For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -Blauringkraken
    I'm glad you like it,
    I really thought, after looking at all the other CHOW works in progress, that too many people were taking the redesign too far.
    They are all like grown women with katanas with buckets of blood.
    That is part of the fun of CHOW,
    but I thought it would be nice to stay somewhat true to the original story!

Here is where I am with the Red Riding Hood illustration..
    I was originally thinking of just using that layout sketch as a guide and then just repainting everything,
    but I ended up really liking the look of the sketch mixed with the painting..
    When I started painting I thought of Vivi's paintings and sort of mimicked them.
    I am liking how it looks, but I am just not sure where to go from here.

Is it finished? Is there something it needs? Is it too messy?
    Just thought it might be nice to get some feedback if anyone would give it, while I thought about these things..

Name:  RidingHoodIllustration01.jpg
Views: 1067
Size:  416.0 KB

Name:  RedWIPsheet.jpg
Views: 1048
Size:  345.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the steps! i think it looks cool to have the pencil strokes in there. Have you tried not just to multily everything?
    I would get the glowing and the lights more pop out... made you a (very quick... sorry, not much time) pic...

There is another one who let the strokes in the picture. Link:
    http://blauringkraken.deviantart.com...et=48#/d2z786g

Attached Images Attached Images  

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Blauringkraken For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -Blauringkraken
    Thanks! That was just what I needed!
    I was thinking about the painting as flat colors.
    Making the light more dynamic has really helped it!
    Thanks for the link too! Really awesome stuff! He has some really good Red Riding Hood stuff too!
    Look at this! -->http://danillovesfood.deviantart.com...craps#/d39iz4x

Here is the update with better light and just some different fixes..
    I decided to use another overlay of the pencil work to get darker lines and to add extra texture to the trees and wolf while leaving Red clean...

Name:  RidingHoodIllustration02.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  482.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey greyskill, you absolutely get what I meant!
    And I totally forget about the RRH of him... my brain has large holes. :D

One more thing I'd try is to set the black lines to a dark gray or try to negative multiply a
    color-layer with about 15% opacity with the fitting colors over the pencil strokes. But I don't know if that works.

The red colors on her btw look great!
    Yours, Steffen

44. The Following User Says Thank You to Blauringkraken For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast