Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 655 Posts

Question Something Fishy...

While checking out Deviantart, I stumbled upon this
    http://somniturne.deviantart.com/art...t=100#comments

This is the cover for a game I wrote called Kingdom of Nothing. It's about people who've lost everything, and their struggle to crawl their way back out of the cracks through which they've slipped. You play someone who's suffered some tragedy that's brought your life crashing down and forced you into homelessness.

As a result of the world's collective apathy, a force called the Nothing came into being. The Nothing seeks out those who have lost everything they loved and drags them deeper and deeper into obscurity until they disappear completely. It eats their Name, and with it their memories and identity.

The Nothing manifests their fears into creatures that only they and other Lost can see called Cobwebs. Characters have to fight their inner demons to get their memories back.
    That seems um... a little bit familiar...

According to the creator's later comment (on page 5) this game will soon be released.

Hmm...

EDIT: If you don't know what I'm talking about then you might wanna look at this first.
    Coro's comic

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 1,015 Posts
    hm, from what i have read it just seems like he is making the homeless heroes as well.. Its not like Coro and Wes own everything homeless related.
    Last edited by Krato; January 14th, 2010 at 09:35 PM.

Thanks
    Seems like a similar premise, though there are dozens of homeless hero/seer/shaman fighting spirits/aliens/mutants/monsters in a lot of books.

Quote Originally Posted by Krato View Post
    hm, from what i have read it just seems like he is making the homeless heroes as well.. Its not like Coro and Wes own everything homeless related.
    No, but the metropolitan area of Seattle does.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    Gotta admit, when I saw that image, even before reading the text, I thought of Transient.

But when reading the premise, Eh... I dunno, sounds like it can still be "different" enough, but there's definitely similarities there for sure.

Edit: Looking at that image a bit closer, yeah okay, the similarities are a bit too close.

Thanks
    eep. double post

Thanks
    Wow, it does look similar. It reminds me of one piece that Coro did for "Transient" but I don't remember which one. The flying birds kinda drive that feeling home. Is there any way to compare?

Thanks
    Not so much the flying pigeons, but the creatures wandering about in the lower background.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 850 Posts
    It's pretty similar, but I wouldn't call it plagiarism. It is pretty close to that line though. This guy is stepping on Coro's foot, but not outright stealing. If anything it's just a little too inspired by Coro. Maybe this guy isn't even aware. This stuff happens coincidentally some times. Either way this guy seems to have a different idea, just a similar premise. He seems to have worked hard at it.

Thanks
    The homeless just rock. I don't know...Maybe people like the concept of "the unlikely hero".
    Last edited by Dizon; January 15th, 2010 at 04:00 AM.

Thanks
    I'd say more than anything it seems reminiscent of the plot to The World Ends With You.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 379 Posts
    I wonder why he has a teddy bear on his belt. Is he going to use that thing as a weapon?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 870 Posts
    Yeah, I mean Coro doesn't really own everything that has homeless and monsters. The similarities are there but it's not total plagiarism. Coro's works seem to exist within their own universes while this exists in another.

Thanks
    In case you havent noticed, Coro's story is the same as Mozes.

Guy looses everything, becomes a tool of an mystical entity, collects people around him, saves his people after alot of perils.

There is no story in the deviantart link yet. The guy has an setting idea, and a non-developped story about fighting an unseen power and personal struggle.
    Last edited by Duq; January 16th, 2010 at 07:32 AM.
    "Master storytellers never explain. They do the hard, painfully creative thing-- they dramatize"

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Homeless man in a city, fighting monsters that only he can see? It's not plagierism but the point is if he has seen Coro's comic before, then his 'daily deviation' award may have been a little tainted. But we can let his conscience struggle with that one. I've seen daily deviations given for much less.

Thanks
    any one play kingdom hearts.... because the story of the Nothing seems pretty fitting