Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Thanks
    Here's my sketch. I'm not so sure what to think of it. It seems alright, but...

Any suggestions?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    C.O.W. #165 Zombie Dinosaur -- Posting WIPs thread!
    ))

Thanks
    Page of sillhouettes and sketches, I'm going with zombie Yoshi... not.
    Seeking freelance and full time work

www.patrickmcwhorter.com

Sketchbook

Blog

Thanks
    Pochifux: Thank you, hm I’ll have to mess around with putting it’s head on a couple different bodies, both bipedal and quadrupedal.

DefiledVision: Wow sweet sketches! I think the first one is my favorite, it’s got a really interesting head.

Mfrank: Amargasaurus spikes are looking pretty cool on that Suchimimus, it looks like the bigger badder cousin of the Spinosaurus.

Imeden:
    I think it’d look much better in a more natural pose. I’d suggest referencing birds of prey. Here’s a link to an eagle carrying away it’s prey, it might help spark some more ideas for poses: http://gallery.photo.net/photo/3525135-lg.jpg

Here’s some more detailed pencil sketches of mine, I still really like “Big Blue” his head is loosely of based off of a Carnotaurus and since the horns sort of look like a Stygimoloch's I think I’m going to mess around with making a more fluid merging of the two beasts. To the lower right is another doodle of the little green guy, I tried adding the spines from the red dinosaur onto his back but I think I’m loosing interests in him. In the upper right are a couple of doodles from Jurassic Park, a T-Rex and a couple of “Velociraptors” *caught* Deinonychus *caugh*

Attachment 880660

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoldenSerpent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Gold Serpent, NVM what I said about the bipedal thing, I think this latest iteration of the carnotaurus looks great, something about shortening the snout and making it more vertical makes it click for me.
    So I'm hellbent on making this dino based on the 1800's version of the iguanodon, but Michael is iffy about my idea, stating that I may as well ask if it's okay to do zombie versions of Flintstones Dinosaurs (seriously, how cool would zombie Dino be? "down Dino, Down!!! AAARRGH!!!") I told him I could pull it off and not have it looked like botched anatomy... what do you guys think so far?

www.patrickmcwhorter.com

Sketchbook

Blog

This is harder than it looks. Tyannosaurus are the king. I don't know if a zombie version can be more scary. My scribbles lots of blood and ribs yet to be shown.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Pochifux: Thanks, I did try a quadruped version but it didn't work out, so I'm back to him being a biped for sure. The reinvention of the 1800's version of the iguanodon sounds interesting as long as you redo it with natural looking anatomy. Right now your creature looks a bit lumpy, try looking at some references of therapsids they have low sideways legs that look similar to what you seem to be trying for.

Okay so here's what will hopefully become my final composition I't still rough but I'm already liking where it's going. Let me know what you guys think, I'm a bit worried something is off with the legs but I'm not sure what.

Attachment 880824

11. The Following User Says Thank You to GoldenSerpent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    MITZE - I love that! I know concept art is supposed to be sort of tight-render-oriented, but I love the emotiveness of the scribblies! I think pulling out the ribs arnd tweaking a few details here and there would make it a perfect illustration, if not a perfect creature concept. The scribbliness really does make it more scary IMO

Goldenserpent, yeah, I agree, it was more the initial sketch of the head that I felt would suit a quadruped more.
    The hind legs look dynamic in that pose, however, the creature looks front-heavy. I'd say it needs a thicker tail for balance, although the tail you've given it looks awesome and, again, dynamic. Another possibility is to bring his left (stage right) leg a little forward to support his trunk - as though he were pausing in mid-stride.

MFRANK - Speaking of balance, your Spinosaurus creature looks way better, in terms of balance, than the one in JP3! The big arms being tucked backward make a whole lot more sense than the way they hung down in front for the creature in said movie!
    [Dorky sidenote] - I am convinced that these creatures spent most of their time on land as quadrupeds, and only stood bipedal when submerged in water.

About mine - I've been looking at therapsids and ornithischians, it's pulling the musculature together slowly. I always start scribbly and loose, I guess that's a bad habit if you wanna work closely with a client who wants to see it drawn clean and precise from the start...
    Also, that sketch may look somewhat lumpy because I gave it knee caps out of habit!
    But here's the next incarnation of it, for Sh*ts and giggles, it's got a ways to go obviously, but just you wait!
    Attachment 880873
    Oh duh, before I even realized I hadn't posted this yet, I went back and redid the silhouette, having randomly discovered that there were protocrocodiles which had these much more saurian legs/posture - I need to evolve man! so away with the "iguana" design, I just held on to it because I wanted to pay homage to the old pen drawing I loved as a kid... acheived here, while simultaneously filling my dorky hypothesis about spinos being semi-quadrupedal!Attachment 880884

www.patrickmcwhorter.com

Sketchbook

Blog

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pochifux For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Pochifux, hehe, super!))

Thanks
    This idea is so cool, it has turned a long time reader into a first time poster
    Here's my idea, very roughly sketched. I will make the scene, and the dinosaur, a lot more interesting I hope.

Thanks

wip wip

I was brainstorming and landed on movie posters from the 50s...
    so this came up. I might just go with it as I like the composition so far,
    although there's a danger it might turn into something cartoony.

Attachment 881277
    "...it had the serene look in it's eyes of a creature that realizes it's a tube on legs..." ~ Terry Pratchett

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." ~Pablo Picasso

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Here's how my idea's coming along, not sure what to do with it next. I've gone for a cartoony, b-movie approach to the theme.

Thanks
    Some sketching, I think I'm going with the upper dino.

Blackrobin - When you're doing the mouth/jaw area, make sure you don't make the lower mandible bigger than the upper. Also the eyes should be concave, unless it's gas, which you could do, a gas filled rotting T-rex .

GoldenSerpent - Awesome so far, my only crit would be to buff up the arms/hands just a bit, so that they don't look that vestigial.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reymus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    This is where I ended up last night (this morning!)...as you can see, I need to work out the lighting, resolve the feet, and tinker with the perspective on the pogoda...but so far, I'm liking the direction it's taking!
    Attachment 881322

HGCALLARD-I'd use liquify to squash/stretch some of the angles on the dinosaur, to make it look more dynamic and "sexy".. what I mean is,that with dinos, you tend to see a lot of 'S'curves, and emphasizing these -almost as if you were designing a pinup (!),you tend to get this sleek, dynamic design that I think is more appealing.
    Compositionally, there is nothing connecting the eye of the viewer from the top right corner, back to the dinosaur- to keep the eye moving around the composition, I'd suggest having a streak of electricity coming from the "eye of the storm" in the top right to the dinosaur... as though it were activating him, it almost seems implied that this is so already. I'd say that would also give you a chance to add some dramatic lighting effects. good job so far!

GOLDEN SERPENT- Reymus has a point-from a scientific p.o.v. anyway-T-rex had vestigial forelimbs because his maw was so big and powerful,he didn't need arms (in fact, arms would have gotten in the way and made him front-heavy like the *ahem* wimpy spinosaur that should have gotten it's ass kicked by T-rex in JP3 - oh, sorry, there I go again!).... anyway, forgive my dorky rantings, but as I was saying -your dino has a short muzzle,which looks aesthetically interesting in combination with the vestigial arms, giving it an almost regal appearance, but if you are going for a biological realism,I'm not sure how this creature would fair in the wild - it would have the darnest time catching prey,or even eating carrion without falling flat on it's lovely face! just something to consider. As I say, from an aesthetic p.o.v, it's working.

REYMUS - Nice gestures, the top one is looking a bit doggish, the bottoma bit on the "alien" side.
    Last edited by Pochifux; January 16th, 2010 at 06:13 PM. Reason: wanted to respond to Reymus' post, needed to add spaces between somewordsas my space bar seems less responsive on this forum

www.patrickmcwhorter.com

Sketchbook

Blog

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pochifux For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pochifux View Post

HGCALLARD-I'd use liquify to squash/stretch some of the angles on the dinosaur, to make it look more dynamic and "sexy".. what I mean is,that with dinos, you tend to see a lot of 'S'curves, and emphasizing these -almost as if you were designing a pinup (!),you tend to get this sleek, dynamic design that I think is more appealing.
    Compositionally, there is nothing connecting the eye of the viewer from the top right corner, back to the dinosaur- to keep the eye moving around the composition, I'd suggest having a streak of electricity coming from the "eye of the storm" in the top right to the dinosaur... as though it were activating him, it almost seems implied that this is so already. I'd say that would also give you a chance to add some dramatic lighting effects. good job so far!
    Here's an update on my image, with your suggestions taken into account. I'm by no means finished, however.

Last edited by hgcallard; January 16th, 2010 at 08:47 PM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to hgcallard For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast