C.O.W. #165 Zombie Dinosaur -- Posting WIPs thread! - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: C.O.W. #165 Zombie Dinosaur -- Posting WIPs thread!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pochifux: Thanks for the input, his top heavy appearance is from a bit of perspective gone bad I think. I liked it at the time since usually my creatures end up with rather small heads, so the exaggerated head was rather new and interesting for me. I think I'll try toning it down a bit though since it is looking tremendously top heavy. I think I'll probably keep his arms that small I like the vestigial look and like T-rex I figured my guy's got plenty of mouth to take down his prey with. Haha I don't mind the "dorky rants" I have quite a few of my own, by the way I agree with your theory that spinosaurids spent quite a bit of time as quadrupeds. Also your creature is looking much better with the protocrocodile influence!

Reymus:
    Thank you, I know they are a bit extreme but I think I'm going to keep them the arms on the vestigial side.

Not sure if I'll get an update of my pic up tonight but hopefully tomorrow I'll have something for you guys.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, nice stuff going on. I haven't participated in quite a while, but couldn't pass this one up. Going for a new dino species look, but I wanted it to be very armored looking. Going to paint the base creature then zombify it once I decide which route to go.

Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    evolvingeye: I really like your first sketch! It's armor is very unique and interesting, and it also has some very nicely drawn feet.

Okay I did get some time to work on this guy after all, so here is what I've been up too. I scaled down his head a bit and cut off a chunk of his neck since it was adding unnecessary weight to his already precarious bulk. I also started adding gaping flesh wounds down his throat. I think I'll have to go searching for reference pics of rotting flesh to get a bit more realism out of it. Hmmm added more shadows and played with the background a bit too. Oh and I brought his left leg further forward to help his balance.

Name:  Big-Blue-2.jpg
Views: 1667
Size:  212.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

wip wip .. 2

Hey peoples, guys and gals, ladies and gentlemen,
    I played around wiht inks a bit yesterday and this is where I ended up.

There's a few areas that are still "under construction" as I'm not sure where it is going yet. Any comments, crits of you people? Sometimes other people can point out areas I might overlook, so thanks in advance if you notice anything.

Name:  Scan10254-25pct.jpg
Views: 1639
Size:  132.3 KB

hgcallard: coming along nicely. I would however define the eye of the dinosaur more (make it smaller, and eye shaped). That makes it look bigger, more badass and also, of course, more dinosaur. See your original sketch for reference

goldenserpent: good move on the leg replacement. It looks much more solid, grounded now. Great head, nice beast. Reminds me of a ceratosaurus, with a little styracosaurus in the mix. This is going to be a good one.
    Oh and of course you're right.. "velociraptors!" .. what?!? meh, hollywood.

Pochifux: hehe I lilke it, riding a zombie dinosaur across the plains of Chul'talak...or some other otherworldly place Lightsource (backlight) is interesting, and well executed. However it looks a lot like a crocodile now, maybe a tad too much?

Reymus: I'd go for the top one.. it definately has attitude.
    The bottom critter seems like an afterthought. .

Mitze: holy crap! Is that a dead tyrannosaurus getting up from the swamp?!? Aaargh! Run! Run! Seriously. . very nice drawing. Although you should probably make it less tyrannosaurus, throw some other stuff in the mix there.

Sillirien: that is a rather cute zombified dinosaur, my dear.
    That could almost sell for a pet.. "eats anything, well mostly brains" . . hehe
    But I like it, nice style. I'm sure you're going to place the tail somewhere else?

Imeden: you've got the base ellipses down, now it's time to connect them, to get a flowing line. After that, zombifie all you like
    To see what I mean, I made this crude drawover:
    Name:  SDC15326 copy paintover.jpg
Views: 1543
Size:  61.3 KB

Mfrank: hehe have fun playing around with dinostitching.. I'm curious to see what you come up with

fughi from yuggoth: party hard, mate! are you thinking of making the little guys zombies? or the big guy too?

blackrobin: a bit loose, but you've got the shape and colors pretty much down I think. Are you still playing around or thinking of further developing this one?

Defiledvisions: cool sketches, now zombifie them! Let your defiled visions reign over these thunder lizards!

evolvingeye: just saw your too..I like the top one the most: how it is about to get medieval on someone's ass, scratching it's hooves/toes like a bull..

Last edited by Harmageddon; January 17th, 2010 at 03:55 AM.
    "...it had the serene look in it's eyes of a creature that realizes it's a tube on legs..." ~ Terry Pratchett

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." ~Pablo Picasso

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Harmageddon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what a cool theme... i can't miss this one

GoldenSerpent
    : those are awesome sketches! going straight to my inspiration folder if you don't mind, excellent concepts and linework

what i have so far. i'm going for spinosaurus

7. The Following User Says Thank You to levin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's what I was thinking about. WIP

Golden Serpent & levin
    Looks awesome!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Arbinn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Golden Serpent - I really love your dinosaur

Reymus - I like your upper dino better as well. The bottom one looks like he'd be having truble sutaining his head up like that.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Medusa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the opinions guys, going with the first one. I'll have an update soon..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 388 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Great work.
    I couldn't resist drawing a zombie dinosaur.

Dorkthrone is offline The skyline was beautiful on fire. Level 12 Gladiator: Laqueatores
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If I get time, I will definitely get in on this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You guys have some great designs. Impressive stuff, especially Golden Serpent.
    That zombie dino is melting my face.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Duman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well i think goldenserpent's is very general

i like levin's

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just started... sweet topic

Art and kindness are my weapons of choice.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awsome idea!, tought i would join in to practice my creatures more. Here are some basic sketches/ideas/study's for the direction i want to go in:

Last edited by Phade01; January 17th, 2010 at 06:14 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some cool looking stuff in here, can't wait to see the final entries!

Since the idea this week is to design a new dinosaur and then zombify it, I had the most trouble designing an original dinosaur that did not look like it was based on one that really existed. Every time it looked like either a the body of a raptor or a Trex with some weird new head shape pasted on top of it, making it feel bland and boring... So I decided to design my dinosaur on the body of a horse/lion to give it that original edge. Now the tricky part is to make it look like a dinosaur and not some lizard from planet shit somewhere seventeen million lightyears from here.

Hoping I'm a bit on the right track with this one...the zombification will be applied after finishing it in it's current form because I want to keep the design of this one before the gore and stuff...

Visit my site at www.bralt.be

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Bralt Hannicart For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    GoldenSerpent: That is coming out wonderfully! I love the holes in his neck! Also, if you're still worried about him appearing top-heavy, thickening the tail a tad might also help balance him out. (:

levin: That looks awesome too! You've done an amazing job on making your dino look like he's still decaying.

Phade01: Gosh, that face down in the corner looks so EVIL! I love it!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Spirall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

dinosore

wow! some really cool pieces so far!

Last edited by skullbeast; January 17th, 2010 at 11:18 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent stuff everyone! Some people look as though they've based the dinosaur designs more on modern creatures, with reptilian skin...nothing wrong with this,but I believe the assignment is to create a new dinosaur based on anatomy of existing Dinos.

BRAIT- for instance,that is very horse like bone structure.

HGCALLIARD-I know,the head is a bit crocodilian,but for the record,I asked Michael if prehistoric crocodiles counted and he said yes. For the record,so do marine reptiles,pterosaurs and giant salamanders. Therapsids, such as dimetradon, also count, and I therefore assume that other pelicasaurs do as well... besides,I am somewhat of the notion that Spinosaurs had such a crocodilian head because of a direct lineage... don't quote me on that one though

GoldenSerpent- Amazing! I think thickening the tail towards the center might give it a perfect sinse of balance... it already looks close to being well-balanced,but I think that forward-lean would only be that exaggerated during a running pose,unless it had some extra tail-weight for ballast.

Levin - nice loose render,looks like you have the rot and viscera under control.I'd look at some reference for the head and neck and try to make more of an 's' curve with them. It looks a little "kangaroo based",which is sort of an out-moded way of looking at dinosaur posture - it was still prevailent when we were kids,and you stillsee toys constructed this way,but it is technically no different than the way people in the 1800s based their views on dino posture on that of lizards. That is a little nit-picky though, as I say, you still see dinos with kangaroo-like posture in some older books and toys,and no one can empirically prove that they were composed more like birds...

Phade- very nice, just note the wingspan would be much wider.

Arbin - simply awesome! If I could find one fault it's that this is a zombie dromeosaur (raptor) of some type, though not looking as though you've invented a new type. It looks like the "raptors" (deinonychus) from Jurassic park,in zombie form, with some back-spikes. (side note- the skulls of the raptors in JP1and JP2 were incorrect, further scientific discovery caused them to modify the design for JP3).

Alien Ape- the lower study is just sick!can't wait to see what you come up with...

Seeking freelance and full time work

www.patrickmcwhorter.com

Sketchbook

Blog

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Pochifux For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

late!

...love this topic! Hope I have time to finish.... or at least decide which direction to go.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Pochifux View Post
    Arbin - simply awesome! If I could find one fault it's that this is a zombie dromeosaur (raptor) of some type, though not looking as though you've invented a new type. It looks like the "raptors" (deinonychus) from Jurassic park,in zombie form, with some back-spikes. (side note- the skulls of the raptors in JP1and JP2 were incorrect, further scientific discovery caused them to modify the design for JP3).
    Thanks! Yeah the concept is pretty basic as I thought we should just create an existing dino with zombie aspects.

Well, funnier for me when I start editing it! ^__^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What I got so far. crits, comments welcome

golden serpent, you are one talented person and I hate you for it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Harmageddon: Itís a bit hard to tell since youíre still working on your picture, but right now the dinosaurs themselves donít seem to be the main focal point. My eye goes immediately to the cave entrance and only after that do I notice the two dinos on the ground. If you added maybe a second or third of those little insect eating dinosaurs jumping around the carcass the dinosaurs would catch the viewers eye first.

Levin
    : Thank you very much, and no I donít mind at all

Arbinn: Although the dinosaur design is still to much like a raptor I really like the idea of having itís lower jaw decayed off. Thereís just something very disturbing about it to me. The thought of itís upper jaws sinking into me at the same time itís more or less gumming me with itís throat just makes me squirm in my chair.

Bralt Hannicart: I like the head and neck on your creature and you have some wonderful scales on it too. Iím a bit unsure of the body though; It reads way to horse like to me and thus not really dinosaur looking. Iíd suggest trying to give him some stocky legs like one of the large herbivorous dinosaurs.

Spirall:
    Thank you for the suggestion, I thickened up his tail a bit in the most recent version.

Skullbeast: In my opinion those eyestalks look a bit too insectoid for a dinosaur design.

Paulkang91
    : haha thanks. The flesh stretched across your creatureís spines is nicely done, also I like his eye, very expressive.

Okay so here's Big Blue in his most recent stage of creation (decomposition?) I've thickened his tail, detailed his spines, added some more decaying bits and pieces and just overall tried to make him more solid. Oh I also noticed his ribs were looking odd so I looked up a T-rex skeleton from google to reference. His rib bones were really off so I fixed them up and I think they look much better.

I did a bit more work on the background but I'm still being sort of timid with it. If anyone has tips on rendering trees that would be greatly appreciated.

Name:  Big-Blue-3.jpg
Views: 1232
Size:  134.4 KB

EDIT: Okay so I was playing around with what sort of colors I'd like to have in the finished version and bah I'm having a rough time with it. Colors are one of my weak points so if you guys could give me some pointers with these two color thumbnails I whipped up that would be fantastic!

Name:  Dino-Colors2.jpg
Views: 1269
Size:  64.7 KBName:  Dino-Colors.jpg
Views: 1364
Size:  38.6 KB

Last edited by GoldenSerpent; January 18th, 2010 at 02:41 AM.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to GoldenSerpent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    GoldenSerpent, thats awesome!

Spiral, Thanks!

Pochifux, you're right, i adjusted the wingspan in this update

Here's another update:

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Phade01 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi
    My first WIP !

36. The Following User Says Thank You to youpi For This Useful Post:

JanDegler is offline *į* ..Reinvent yourself every day.. *į* Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Levin: So cool! Really good progress!!!

Phade01: Your sketches are really good!! Keep it coming!!!!

Alien ape star: Impressing sketches! Nice line...

I will post some progress l8ter...Im still gathering reference mat....

Really cool stuff around here keep em up!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is what i got so far...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heh, actually I don't have really time for a COW, but since this theme is so great (I love dinosaurs), I just HAD to draw something.

But first some comments:

Wacky Wackowski: So far it looks amazing, I love the design of the head and also the perspective you used here.

youpi: That's definitaly a very new and still dinosaurish design you found here.

Phade01: Looks interesting, but maybe you can improve the head a little bit and choose maybe a more interesting perspective/pose... maybe while it's landing or something.

GoldenSerpent: I really like your design and all the details you added here- also the dinosaur have a really scary look.

paulkang91: Looks like an interestink start- maybe you can shorten the lower jaw a little bit (if you use this head for the final version), because it's too long in my opinion.

hodoca: Interesting sketches.. I hope you find some time to develope them a little bit further.

skullbeast: I have to agree, the eyes give him really a little bit something of an insect. I like the design of the body though.

Bralt Hannicart: Looks great, but I also think you might go more for a dinosaurish anatomy here.

Alien Ape Star: So far it looks good.

Snow Lion: There are still some perspectivic flaws in your colored version (especially with the lower jaw), but other than that it looks good so far.

JanJager: I like your color choice here: Especially the yellow touch for the dinosaur.

Arbinn: Heh, I had the same idea like you: Removing the lower jaw... but I decided not doing it in the end.
    I like your design, but the body might be a little bit too bulky right now.

levin: Looks great: Maybe you can push the leg in the background a little bit to left- Somehow it don't look correct now (not sure about that though)

Harmageddon: Looks good so far.

evolvingeye: I would definitaly take the one on the bottom- I really like it's head design and all the plates added here.

hgcallard: Looks great so far.. Maybe you can play around with the lighting a little bit still? Like adding more violett lighted areas and maybe get a little bit more dark on the other side.

Pochifux: Heh, I like your idea of adding the riders here.

So and now comes my zombie.. I will probably still change some things, but I think it's more or less finished... right?

40. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Orm Irian For This Useful Post:

JanDegler is offline *į* ..Reinvent yourself every day.. *į* Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great theme!!!

So simple and so hard!!!

Here are some illustrationes from diffrent artists....

http://www.search4dinosaurs.com/

I think Ill do something like a dracosaurus....

C&C r welcome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Taken more of the crit into account, I'm liking where my image is going now. I think I've nearly hit the cheesey b-movie look I was going for... Any other crit more than welcome

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1