Intuos 4 Loose USB ports
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Intuos 4 Loose USB ports

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Intuos 4 Loose USB ports

Does anyone else have a problem with the USB ports on the Intuos 4?

I had presumed that it was normal that my port for the left hand was supposed to be a bit loose, but realized the one for right hand was firm.

Well today it decided to snap off so it wasn't soldered to the board very well.
    It's a bit shocking since I haven't had the tablet for a year and was just wondering if this issue is actually with a number of tablets, than just mine.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Both ports is fine for me though I use the port that is defaulted for right hand users.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I may not be the only one experiencing this issue, I believe another user mentioned they had the same problem.

Nope, Europe users are also affected by this design flaw: http://forum.wacom.eu/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1628

Last edited by Arshes Nei; January 29th, 2010 at 10:44 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I also have a loose USB port, mine both ports are loose. Is there a way to fix this???

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I guess you could try a DIY fix, but it would probably be better to contact Wacom and see about a repair/replacement if its under warranty (or even if it's not, since this seems like something that shouldn't break easily).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
    I guess you could try a DIY fix, but it would probably be better to contact Wacom and see about a repair/replacement if its under warranty (or even if it's not, since this seems like something that shouldn't break easily).
    RMA is not cheap unfortunately. Wacom asks you ship the tablet in original packaging and not use USPS. In addition you have to pay for the shipping costs.

A medium may not be that heavy but those of us who have large tablets are looking about 50 bucks to ship (since you have to pay for packaging at UPS, in addition I had to insure the tablet for 500 since UPS only auto insures for a 100 in case something happens.)

That's about 10 % of the tablet's worth.

I received some photos from another user showing the inside of the intuos 4 and the lovely soldering job. I expect that kind of soldering on a 20 dollar walkman, not a 500 dollar tablet. They really sould have braced the ports better. I'm really upset and dissappointed someone skimped out.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm really sorry to hear that :/ I'd be disappointed too! Are you attempting to fix it yourself?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
    I'm really sorry to hear that :/ I'd be disappointed too! Are you attempting to fix it yourself?
    As I said, I RMA'd it, I just got it back yesterday but now I'm paranoid ...as if I wasn't overly cautious with it before... (I keep it in its original sleeving)

The only "plus" side I suppose is that Wacom had shipped it in a packing box that was much smaller than the one I had to pay for to ship it to them. I'm keeping it since I think it will be an eventuality that the ports will break again.

I did point one of their customer service reps to the threads pointing out this problem, but no response back.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow. Mine seem okay but here's hoping they don't give out.
    M

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    posted in another thread asking if you had to pay wacom to get it fixed, this answered my question. ~$50? that is crazy, they should be offering free shipping, this is clearly a manufacturers defect on not just your but all, so it should be handled like a recall would.

it would be cheaper to have an experienced electronics tech fix it the right way, luckily i can fix these types of issues easily (Apple tech), But i too am disappointed to see this poor craftsmanship from such an expensive device.

i heavily travel with my tablet and constantly plug/unplug (lefty), i don't use the cable that came with it since i prefer longer and lighter cable. i already broke the pen, must have been damaged while in my travel bag (unresponsive now) so now i have the Art Pen which i like better anyway.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to james. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have the same problem. First one USB port went out, then today (about a month later) the 2nd one went out. Now I'm stuck with deadlines coming up and no functioning tablet. I can't wait around for it to be repaired so I have to go buy another one. I love Wacom tablets, but this is crazy; I've only had it a few months. :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jdillon View Post
    I have the same problem. First one USB port went out, then today (about a month later) the 2nd one went out. Now I'm stuck with deadlines coming up and no functioning tablet. I can't wait around for it to be repaired so I have to go buy another one. I love Wacom tablets, but this is crazy; I've only had it a few months. :/
    Ouch. Yeah I still had my intuos3 around so I was able to use that while the intuos4 was being repaired. I'd still RMA the other tablet because it's under warranty and at least now you'll have 2.

Also, how have you been? It's not like I don't see you around other art communities and all but man it's been such a long change since the old days of FAHQ

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    Ouch. Yeah I still had my intuos3 around so I was able to use that while the intuos4 was being repaired. I'd still RMA the other tablet because it's under warranty and at least now you'll have 2.

Also, how have you been? It's not like I don't see you around other art communities and all but man it's been such a long change since the old days of FAHQ
    I don't have the reciept for my Intuos4, though, which was foolish on my part. :/ I have bad luck with tablets; they only seem to last a year before the connector cables go out. The only reason I got this Intuos4 is because my latest Intuos3 died again. I threw out the boxes a while ago because after a few years they start taking up too much space in my closet. I'll definitely be keeping everything this time around. X)

I'm doing well, thanks! Hanging in there. I still lurk way too much. How've you been? I see you around here and elsewhere, too, but yeah, it feels like we've both been around forever, haha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jdillon View Post
    I don't have the reciept for my Intuos4, though, which was foolish on my part. :/ I have bad luck with tablets; they only seem to last a year before the connector cables go out. The only reason I got this Intuos4 is because my latest Intuos3 died again. I threw out the boxes a while ago because after a few years they start taking up too much space in my closet. I'll definitely be keeping everything this time around. X)
    Darn. I had purchased mine off amazon so I can just go to my account and print the invoice and Wacom accepts it. Depending on if you purchased them online or not, usually you can use your invoice from that online retailer as a receipt with Wacom.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like today was the death of my intuos 4 too, I believe its the USB for me aswell, I heard several connect/disonnects sounds yesterday,
    and today I belive it worked for a minute or so, just enough to open photoshop ready to paint, there is no light coming from the table ;/ tried switching computer, new cable and such.

the USB connection on the table is indeed very loose connected, the Small version of intuos 4 only have one connection so I cannot try if any other would work, I dont remember if it was this loose connected from the very beginning.

it lasted what? almost a year or so, well if I get it repaired I think I must find a way to make a support for the usb connection,
    just so it wont get broken again from normal daily use, maybe some glue and tape..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    both ports down, panicking slightly, i have my receipt but i cant remember if i registered on-line. does that void the warranty? does the warranty cover this, i have had it about 2 months. TT_TT
    extremely serious defect, only other electronic ive seen this loose usb solder thing happen to was a 5 pound wifistick .... it happened on my 400 pound wacom... unbelievable.

cut me. i bleed paint.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Etheral View Post
    both ports down, panicking slightly, i have my receipt but i cant remember if i registered on-line. does that void the warranty? does the warranty cover this, i have had it about 2 months. TT_TT
    extremely serious defect, only other electronic ive seen this loose usb solder thing happen to was a 5 pound wifistick .... it happened on my 400 pound wacom... unbelievable.
    If you can find an invoice or receipt you should be fine. You also need to have your serial number. The warranty does cover this, but you may have to pay for shipping to get it repaired.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really feel you The worst part is that it's simple to repair - small soldering iron and some practice are needed to fix it. But because of warranty and shipping costs, it makes no sense. Furthermore, the posts of Wacom representative in forum clearly show that company doesn't acknowledge it as fabric fault - probably more complaints are needed to change their opinion.

I would suggest one workaround - use very short USB cable (like 10cm), plug it into tablet and attach the second end to tablet's case with, e.g., tape. And then plug a long cable to it. In that way, you minimise the risk of USB port ripping out.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tonic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I also have the same problem, my tablet (Intuos4 L) has only ever been plugged TWICE, and that's including when I first got it and plugged it for the first time.
    It's never been moved either. That's also only after 3 months of ownership.Honestly, I am really disappointed. The scratchy surface wears the nibs way too quick and with the loose USB port now,
    I am afraid to even use it.

r4 games

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Now thinking about USB issue, XL size doesn't have connector. It's like Intuos3, a cable soldered to PCB. Interesting? ;-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my problem successfully resolved.

i haven't ever had to return anything over the net before so I first tried contacting wacom thinking they would be more helpful than a massive retailer like amazon,
    no cigar, i tried calling their hotline a dozen times, no answer,and fired of a half dozen emails to various addresses of which I still haven't received even an acknowledgement.

i gave up on that pretty quickly and phoned Amazon, instead. first try, brilliant customer service, they sent me a brand new one on the spot, took only 3 days to arrive im using it now, and im going to post the old one back soon.

wacom need to address this issue i think, so many people seem to be struggling with it.

of course I'm afraid of even breathing around the usb port now.

good luck to any 1 with the same problem!

cut me. i bleed paint.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I amended my Amazon review till Wacom comes up with a solution for its customers. I think the tablet has problems that warrant better attention from the company.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2OICFE...cm_cr_rdp_perm

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First usb port blew out yesterday...now it's rattling inside my I4... Luckily it's a large and the "left hand" usb port is firm..I'm going to try to find a tech guy to fix it. I tried unscrewing the back..but the back still doesn't come off easily when the screws are out, so I decided not to risk yanking it off. Hopefully she'll be fixed soon. 500 bucks and they overlook the usb port??? Shame on you Wacom.

Jesus saves from the power of sin!

Book of Sketching! ....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just heard some people complained and felt upset about Wacom Intuos 4 is flaw. I'm so surprised that Intuos 4 Tablet's weakness is UBS port connection for left and right side of it that connect back of PC system because they are easily disconnecting them when you move tablet in any direction. I don't like that idea of Wacom's new design which is not comfortable and properly work for artist's need. I understand a new quality of Intuos 4 is improved much than Intuos 3 but bad design of Intuos 4 with USB port that bother me. I'm customer who examined the surface of Intuos 4 which is like plastic at the Office Depost for demo so I noticed it has alot of scratch from people using the standard Grip Pen for test on the shelves there. Oh my goodness, it is very different from my Intuos 3's surface which is smooth without any scratch so my grip pen is not affected on it. Why Wacom design that has problem surface and USB port connection to screw up artist's lifework?

Anyways My Intuos 3 is still good work and no problem for three years. I still use both of my photoshop and painter with it that work smoothly. I don't buy new Intuos 4 because of that problem so I keep my Intuos 3 that has only one USB cable that connect my PC system is no problem. It won't disconnect easily when I can move it in any directions on my lap or computer table. Wacom should research details to find out what it need improving better design than Intuos 4 in the future. It seem big disappointment this year.

Last edited by drakemoonstar; March 25th, 2010 at 11:28 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 378 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This scares me. I was having some weird choppy lag, didn't think much of it at first, but when I switched the USB port it seemed to have stopped.

I really hope none of my USB ports like, snap out. That's ridiculous. I find this hard to believe this could happen to any wacom tablet, not just a intuos4. o_o And my mom bought it too, I don't want her money to be wasted. T_T

Edit: Actually, I'm not sure where the lag is coming from. It's probably something else. But still. The USB port thing is scary now. :<<<

Last edited by velderia; April 5th, 2010 at 10:31 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just got my replacement tablet back from Wacom after having to send mine in for an extremely loose upper right (If you're right handed) USB port here as well. If it goes again I was debating asking for a Wireless tablet as a replacement, but being as I have a Large tablet, it's quite a size-step down.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Featherbeard View Post
    I just got my replacement tablet back from Wacom after having to send mine in for an extremely loose upper right (If you're right handed) USB port here as well. If it goes again I was debating asking for a Wireless tablet as a replacement, but being as I have a Large tablet, it's quite a size-step down.
    According to the UK Wacom forums they're looking to fix the problem but no idea as to "when". I have the link to the discussion in an earlier post.

I don't know if the Wireless have the same soldering job as the first tablets but the other problem with Wireless is recognition problems with various bluetooth models.

My USB cord went out (I don't mind it going out after 2-3 years because that's why I went with the upgrade vs looking at ugly pulled out ones from earlier models) but yeah...barely a year.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    According to the UK Wacom forums they're looking to fix the problem but no idea as to "when". I have the link to the discussion in an earlier post.

I don't know if the Wireless have the same soldering job as the first tablets but the other problem with Wireless is recognition problems with various bluetooth models.

My USB cord went out (I don't mind it going out after 2-3 years because that's why I went with the upgrade vs looking at ugly pulled out ones from earlier models) but yeah...barely a year.
    Yeah, that was my issue as well. Mine barely lasted a year as well (almost to the day actually). It worked for the most part, but it had started to disconnect and reconnect itself and I knew it was time to send it in. Did they say how long the batteries last in the wireless tablet? I can't seem to remember..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Featherbeard View Post
    Yeah, that was my issue as well. Mine barely lasted a year as well (almost to the day actually). It worked for the most part, but it had started to disconnect and reconnect itself and I knew it was time to send it in. Did they say how long the batteries last in the wireless tablet? I can't seem to remember..
    According to reviews, the battery is supposed to last 18 hours (citing Wacom).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh boy, this is a real kick in the knickers then. :/ I just bought my I4 about 3 weeks ago, I've only used it about once (busy with university), but just then, wen i got it out (it constantly sits on the pull-out keyboard tray of my computer table) when I pulled it out, the cable must of got stuck or something, but it disconnected the tablet!! It wasn't even like, stuck and then i yanked it hard, it was like, a slight bit of friction.

This is very disappointing.. I hope my tablet doesnt give out, it hasn't even been a month and i havnt even used it much!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 9