Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Intuos 4 Loose USB ports

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    I live in the US and it broke within the warranty period so I could RMA it. It cost me about 50 bucks in shipping so about 10% of the tablet's worth.

I received it back but do not know if it was just a new board with the same problem. I since went to Amazon.com and bought one of their Gold plated Mini USB cables, because a month later the USB cord that came with the tablet went out.

The Amazon one: http://amzn.com/B001TH7GUK fits actually rather snug and I bought an extender cable. I still am very nervous about using the tablet.... it's a problem I never felt with my other tablets.

While Travis and I believe Steve at Wacom have been helpful with me, unfortunately my confidence is shaken a bit with the quality of the intuos4. It has great editions but poor execution in terms of parts quality.

I broke the stylus of my Intuos3 a couple days ago and rather than buy a replacement pen I'd considered getting an Intuos4, although more expensive than option 1, but I came to CA and saw this... So thank you Arshes!
    Im currently working within deadlines and I dont need any of that kind of trouble.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Just installed, and tested a bit, my new Intuos 4. Being an upgrade from my main go to for quick edits tablet, a graphire 4, I can say I'm in love with how the new tablet handles. But of course I'm wary of the same problems everyone else seems to be vocal about.

I'm not in love with the non-smooth surface, though I think I'll certainly follow the sticky to adjust my pressure for 100% to minimize my paranoia/nib wear.

The pen is a bit bulky for me, but for what they charge for the replacements, I'll deal and get used to it, for sure.

The ability for the tablet to sense the pen so far away from the tablet? Awesome, really felt like I had control over where I laid my lines down, felt really natural once I got sketching.

but OH GOD, I'm a lefty, so I'm using the top left USB port (if you've got your keys on the right side, and btw, I love the wheel/keys, gonna really improve speed for me) and it's SCARING THE CRAP out of me. I've unplugged it and I'm gonna either go the electrical tape route, or some mild rubber cement or something, I noticed when placing the tablet on my desk that the USB plug moves really easily from left to right, it wiggles while connected!

Totally weak, and lazily constructed, if you ask me. But that's what we've been reading for a while now, pretty muted responses from Wacom unless it's something that can take care of remotely like driver/software issues....

All in all I'm VERY VERY thankful for the ConceptArt WACOM forum section, Thanks to everyone who's posted in detail about their issues, hope everyone's been able to remedy theirs, and it's certainly keeping me on my toes about what I hope, are never my own issues.

Peace. Thanks again!

Thanks
    yeah, the wiggle was pretty creepy!
    i've been running on the hot glue'd port for half a month now and it's rock solid, definitely solved the problem for me ^^

Thanks
    If anyone that posts on that EU Wacom thread Arshes linked could ask the Wacom rep that keeps replying when the new version started being sold I'd love to hear. I only got mine this past Summer and I'd love to know if it's one of the old or new.

Of course, it's under warranty and I bought through Amazon so could contact them about it too. I keep mine on my desk most of the time but occasionally carry it with me in a laptop bag to draw away from home. Haven't done this much and I'm always very careful with it. Now I know to be even MORE careful.

Thanks

Cow

I don't have my receipt anymore, do you think I'm screwed if my USB port goes out or do they go by the online registration?
    You're pretty brave hauling yours around. I'm too paranoid that I will inadvertently destroy my tablet. My Intuos4 has been in the same spot pretty much since I got it. I've been back and forth on either getting a cheap tablet (Bamboo or something even more inferior) or a tablet PC to take along with me.

Quote Originally Posted by arsieiuni View Post
    Of course, it's under warranty and I bought through Amazon so could contact them about it too. I keep mine on my desk most of the time but occasionally carry it with me in a laptop bag to draw away from home. Haven't done this much and I'm always very careful with it. Now I know to be even MORE careful.

Thanks

Mine just quit this week.

I'm glad to find out it's not just me. I might try to fix the broken port myself. I'm not going to RMA it.

Thanks
    hey guys, it's me again. I'm ordering another tablet, it's the academic version from Amazon, a medium. Hopefully this tablet's from the "improved" batch.

Thanks
    @ equilerex

Great info. Have you, or anyone else, looked into having an electrical technician type person fix these?

Has anyone found more info on this topic?

I'm looking into getting my wireless intuos4 repaired, bought used. Already took it apart thinking I could have a go at it, but after seeing the way the connector broke and how tiny the connections are, it doesn't look promising for me as an amateur solderer.

BTW, my wifi model intuos connector looks slightly different from the one equilerex photographed, having four smaller mount points instead of his two larger ones on each side of the usb connector "box" thingy.

Thanks
    Yeah, I have to say that my Intous4 is a $350 piece of garbage. Both USBs broke so I spent $30 (after discount from work) for the repair. One broke again after just 2 months so now I'm about to solder and glue gun it. When it breaks I'm getting a Hanvon Art Master 3. I had a small intous 1 that lasted 8 years and this new one didn't last 6 months.

Thanks

Unhappy help!

How do did you get it to open? I unscrewed it but its impossible for me to take it apart. Any suggestions? I have to reattached the usb connector inside. It was loose and then i tried opening it, that little guy just feel right out

Thanks
    @ johnny theres some extra screws under the rubber feet.

Heres a little update... the fix and hot clue worked for a year and then it got loose again... really god damn cr"ppy design. took it to the repairs since my tools were pretty blunt.. got told that its cheaper to buy a new one. so i took it home and went for a bit more radical solution... bypassed the plug and traced the connections to their source and soldered them there...

Intuos 4 Loose USB ports

Intuos 4 Loose USB ports

(the orange wire is not from the usb wire... i just used it to make a bridge between the circuit board connections as the plug used to.. not really sure if was needed... just in case)

Thanks
    I got my intuos 4 medium about 2 years ago. typically it was plugged in and never moved. I assume because of its age it doesnt have the newer fix that wacom may have done to newer models. Im actually afraid of wiggling the wire now to even see if mines loose. That would be my luck. touch the wire then have it break. I have a soldering gun and know how to solder but not on contact points that are that small. after reading about this im even afraid to sell it. what if the user breaks it then tries to send it back. Im really upset how many people have had issues with this.

Thanks
    is this for just intuos4s with non mini/micros on the tablet itself?

does large and up have to regular usb s on both ends of the wire?

my meadium has a micro/mini connecting it to the tablet surface drawing area. the end to the pc is regular usb

is this different for different sizes?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast