Intuos 4 Loose USB ports - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Intuos 4 Loose USB ports

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    According to posts on Wacom's Europe boards the Wireless board is different and not prone to the same problem as the first gen intuos4. They said they're looking to replace boards for future gens of intuos4 but at the same time are saying the usb port breakage is not a major problem.

The double talk is confusing me since it's being said it's not a problem. If not why even change the boards in the first place?

I know recalls generally don't happen till bodies pile up so I can only express my sheer displeasure over this issue for the time being and get told spokeshole rhetoric. Oh well.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    According to posts on Wacom's Europe boards the Wireless board is different and not prone to the same problem as the first gen intuos4. They said they're looking to replace boards for future gens of intuos4 but at the same time are saying the usb port breakage is not a major problem.

The double talk is confusing me since it's being said it's not a problem. If not why even change the boards in the first place?

I know recalls generally don't happen till bodies pile up so I can only express my sheer displeasure over this issue for the time being and get told spokeshole rhetoric. Oh well.
    It's all about the "passive-aggressive-PR-spin". They want to show that they care about their customers, but they also want to downplay the issue, no matter how major it might be. It's unfortunately corporate culture-behavior in today's market. (See Dell for example.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know if this matters to anyone, but I followed Tonic's suggestion about connecting a short usb cable, and tape that to another usb cable to stop the problem. I went out and bought myself 2 different cables today, to suit the setup that Tonic suggested. The shortest cable I found was a Blackberry charge and Sync cable, and the miniUSB end was designed differently to the Wacom's cable. Surprisingly, its a very tight fit, but I plugged it into my I4, and it works! And because it's such a tight fit, it isn't able to move around as freely as the Wacom's cable (it's not able to move around at all infact, unless a large amount of force is applied), therefore I think, unless bumped intentionally, it will hold and shall prevent the loose USB port problem for now.

Hope that bit of info shed some light onto the problem and maybe a possible solution.

http://www.mercuryav.com.au/professional.php <---this is the site that sells them, but i bought mine at a mobile phone store. I'm not sure if it's available to purchase online, but it's that company that made that particular cable, but i'm sure any other usb cable designed with a similar shape should suffice.

Sorry if the pics are a bit dark

4. The Following User Says Thank You to T.Ta For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow T.Ta that's really helpful, I think I'll try that out to fix my paranoia.

but I think I will get this http://www.amazon.com/Micro-USB-Mini...f=pd_sim_cps_5 and then plug a usb to usb into it =)

Last edited by justjean; April 28th, 2010 at 11:15 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you're welcome justjean, just make sure to check if the adapter, or whatever cable you're using will fit inside, as I got lucky and it just fits, if it was any bigger, it wouldn't plug in =(

Best of luck to you Right now my paranoia of this problem has been reduced by alot! Freely moving the tablet as i please now hehe

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In terms of cables I saw these on Amazon too: http://www.amazon.com/USB-Shortys-Ma.../ref=pd_cp_e_1

So go with that and an extender too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, im quite new to concept art.
    I contacted Wacom Europe about the usb-port issue and i asked them, if there is a difference with the wireless version.
    Well they didnt really say something about the wireless board, but they told me, its not really true that the intuos series has usb-port issues; people are making this problem bigger in the forums and that they only had to repair about 20 boards so far.

I seriously doubt, if i can trust this Wacom reply, but im not sure, just wanted to tell u guys . I apologize for my english

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh really? 20 repairs only?? wow.. thought there'd be more.

Personally.. I was concerned, because when i was using the old cable (provided by Wacom) I accidently touched the connector, and my tablet got disconnected from the computer.

After that I was so very careful, not to move the tablet whilst using it.. until I got my solution which I posted above. Its not secure and doesn't disconnect and I can use it however I want

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerdous View Post
    Hey, im quite new to concept art.
    I contacted Wacom Europe about the usb-port issue and i asked them, if there is a difference with the wireless version.
    Well they didnt really say something about the wireless board, but they told me, its not really true that the intuos series has usb-port issues; people are making this problem bigger in the forums and that they only had to repair about 20 boards so far.

I seriously doubt, if i can trust this Wacom reply, but im not sure, just wanted to tell u guys . I apologize for my english
    That's not including the ones who didn't turn it in because they don't have time to have the tablet repaired when they have a project due and are going to buy another one instead.

That's also Europe too (their 20 number), since many are global using the products.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah ur right, these aspects play a role too.

Oh and Wacom now told me now about the usb-port, that the Wireless version is not different and that its usb port has the same fixation as the other Intuos4 products...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mine is not completly dead yet,but have some issues,and i couldnīt figure out what it was but after reading here, i can see that other people have the same problem,,

So i guess the only 20 devices wacom are talking about are quite a joke,

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Omg I have the same problem, and I forgot about the other usb port! I'm such a doughnut. THANKYOU!

Although I will send it over for repair before the warranty goes out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy :B

*____*

Last edited by steffors; May 26th, 2010 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Thread already exists

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    K, I'm having the same problem on my I4 med sized tablet. I remember it struck me as awkward that the tablet just shut off, so I switched to the other USB port and it only lasted about a week! I probably unplugged the USB cable like... twice during that period of time.

Now, since I live outside of the U.S, I have to pay $70 in shipping, and if it wasn't for a friend who lives in the U.S and is visiting in July, I'd have to pay an additional $180 to get it through Costa Rican customs... Has anyone had their tablet sent in and repaired? What was Wacom's verdict, in or out of warranty?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by steffors View Post

Now, since I live outside of the U.S, I have to pay $70 in shipping, and if it wasn't for a friend who lives in the U.S and is visiting in July, I'd have to pay an additional $180 to get it through Costa Rican customs... Has anyone had their tablet sent in and repaired? What was Wacom's verdict, in or out of warranty?
    I live in the US and it broke within the warranty period so I could RMA it. It cost me about 50 bucks in shipping so about 10% of the tablet's worth.

I received it back but do not know if it was just a new board with the same problem. I since went to Amazon.com and bought one of their Gold plated Mini USB cables, because a month later the USB cord that came with the tablet went out.

The Amazon one: http://amzn.com/B001TH7GUK fits actually rather snug and I bought an extender cable. I still am very nervous about using the tablet.... it's a problem I never felt with my other tablets.

While Travis and I believe Steve at Wacom have been helpful with me, unfortunately my confidence is shaken a bit with the quality of the intuos4. It has great additions but poor execution in terms of parts quality.

Last edited by Arshes Nei; August 10th, 2011 at 09:02 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rofl, ok, so I just went to DHL and FedEx and shipping will actually cost me.... $160!!!! it's such a great thing that Wacom doesn't care.

I'm starting to feel tempted to glue the pieces together, I don't wanna void the warranty though... or maybe they won't notice

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by steffors View Post
    rofl, ok, so I just went to DHL and FedEx and shipping will actually cost me.... $160!!!! it's such a great thing that Wacom doesn't care.

I'm starting to feel tempted to glue the pieces together, I don't wanna void the warranty though... or maybe they won't notice
    Can't use UPS?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeahhh but it's the same thing. :/ I might have to ask someone here to fix it for me ;____; *sniffle* I wish I'd known this was gonna happen.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mine busted two days ago. I have put less than 100 hours use into mine.

I have not abused this unit at all, and the original Intuos I had I brutalized and it still lives. For my 2 cents, the Intuos 4 is a $450 piece of sh!t.

Mark

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Absolutely understandable. I wish Wacom would be more upfront with its customers about this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, i'm new here, but i just purchased a wacom intuos4 large which will arrive in a couple days from amazon.com and now I'm regretting it after reading about the nib issue, and the crappy usb port solder job... what should i do? Is the medium affected similarly as well? Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Read the other posts for solutions :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    guess i'll do what Tonic suggested about taping a smaller usb cable to it. Still kind of sad having to need to do that with a brand new item.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have the same problem with my Intuos4 large.

I bought mine in store at Frys and no longer have my receipt, as it was a year ago.

Will Wacom still do an RMA? I registered on their site right after I bought it. I still have the original box.

or does anyone know if Frys can print out a duplicate receipt for me?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am not sure if Fry's will print another receipt but at least having the warranty would be good. Contact Wacom if you have any questions. They're pretty good in answering their customers (at least in the US).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cow

I just purchased the Intuos4 Medium as well and am very disappointed to read about the USB issue and the Nib issue, as I'm sure many others are, considering Wacom's good reputation.
    My USB mini port doesn't feel too loosey-goosey compared to some other devices that I have, but I am taking some precautions anyway.
    I have connected an old USB mini-B to USB that I found in my box of spare cables and taped that down to my desk near the tablet, and connected that USB to a USB extension cord going to the computer (I hope that description makes sense). I may upgrade to the gold plated cables suggested above.

Am I the only one that wishes there were MagSafe cables made for USB devices and that Apple did not own the patent? I could see this technology being used in numerous practical applications--such as this.

Thanks for reading and have a great day!

Last edited by 311002965; September 13th, 2010 at 08:31 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've just had the same problem. I've had it for 1 year and 2 weeks so I need to get the repairs done by someone else. Does anyone know if wacoms can be repaired by independent computer or electronic repair shops? I'm having trouble finding information on it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey guys, I've noticed in the wireless reviews, no one has said anything about the usb port breaking so I thought I'd take the chance and sell my large and get the wireless! In general, I think I would rather just get the intuos medium without wireless, since I'm not much of bluetooth person, but he usb thing just bothers me still.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so if i buy one today, will it be a loose usb one or have they fixed them by now? this pretty much decides if i should get a 3 or a 4. thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

32. The Following User Says Thank You to dieseltier For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 9