Thanks

animal anatomy book?

Does anyone know of a good animal anatomy book? One that covers the anatomy of a large number of animals? ie: skeleton and muscle structure and tips for drawing them? I have a very limited bookstore here, but the college will order books for me if I bring them a title and author. Thanks!
    Last edited by nikia; February 4th, 2004 at 06:45 PM.
    Art gives me a life of extreme challenge, frustration, accomplishment and contentment. Nothing less will do!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I don't know of any that cover a 'wide range' (have to be a big damn book). I use one I got from Barnes and Noble that covers horses, humans, monkeys, dogs, cats, pigs, but not many more; and it borders around 700 pages. I dunno how big of a book one could find with many animals.

Cyclopedia Anitomicae.
    Last edited by Devilock138; February 5th, 2004 at 06:49 AM.
    "They were born, they grew up in the gutters, they went to work at twelve, they passed through a brief blossoming period of beauty and sexual desire, they married at twenty, they were middle-aged at thirty, they died, for the most part, at sixty. Heavy physical work, the care of home and children, petty quarrels with neighbors, films, football, beer, and, above all, gambling filled up the horizon of their minds."

Sketchbook
    Alex Jones

Thanks
    Hey thanks guys.

Devilock, 700 pages sounds like a good book. Do you know the author? I'll see if I can order it. Thanks.

Mike, I don't really need step by step. I can already draw animals. I'm just getting rusty on the anatomy and would like to brush up on it. Thanks for the reply. Hopefully I can order this one.

I get more help from CA than my local bookstore, who couldn't be bothered to check their computer list for a book of this type. Sadly we only have one bookstore. However the college was more helpful in that they are willing to order some in, if I bring them the title and author. This is really appreciated. Thanks!
    Art gives me a life of extreme challenge, frustration, accomplishment and contentment. Nothing less will do!

Thanks
    "They were born, they grew up in the gutters, they went to work at twelve, they passed through a brief blossoming period of beauty and sexual desire, they married at twenty, they were middle-aged at thirty, they died, for the most part, at sixty. Heavy physical work, the care of home and children, petty quarrels with neighbors, films, football, beer, and, above all, gambling filled up the horizon of their minds."

Sketchbook
    Alex Jones

Thanks
    Originally posted by Devilock138
    This is what you want...
    I also would recommend the following...hehe...

Taking Charge of Your Fertility: The Definitive Guide to Natural Birth Control, Pregnancy Achievement, and Reproductive Health (Revised Edition)
    Manufacturer: Quill
    by Authors: Toni Weschler
    List price: $23.95
    Our price: $16.77 (You save: $7.18)
    Released: 13 November, 2001
    Sales Rank: 91 - Avg. Rating: 4.88 (out of 5)

Thanks
    Okay, thanks Devilock. It's appreciated.

Err....Redder.....are you trying to tell us something?

Thanks
    Originally posted by Devilock138
    Cyclopedia Anitomica.
    The correct spelling is Cyclopedia Anatomicae.

Yeah. Get this.

Thanks
    Thanks for the correct spelling benzo. That should help.

Thanks
    I have a few books on animals that I personally would like to recommend.

Cyclopedia Anatomicae

Half of the book is on the anatomy of animals but with only limited animals. I guess this is probably the book you are searching for. I bought this same book but title was' Anatomy Drawing School'.

The Art of Animal Drawing by Ken Hultgren

I really like this book, his structures of the animals is really strong.

How to Draw Animals by Jack Hamm

Althought this doesn't really cover on anatomy and only touch on the basics but I find some of the little notes are quite helpful. The rest I have would be wildlife artbooks and animals references which I always find myself referring to most of the time.
    "Live each day as if it was your last day, and you will find each day worth living for."

Thanks
    Thanks ShawnYe. I've ordered the Cyclopedia Anatomicae. The one Mike recommended is out of stock up here in Canada, but I can order it through Amazon in the U.S. I have the Jack Hamm one already, it doesn't really cover what I wanted, but it's an okay book. I'll look for the Art of animal drawing today. I also have a huge amount of animal photo books and magazines. They come in very handy at times. And I use Video tapes a lot. I wanted an anatomy book to go along with the other books and videos as I'm starting to forget exactly how the joints and muscles tie into the whole picture. Thanks for your help.