is my study schedule too much or just right?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

is my study schedule too much or just right?

ive been trying to stick to my schedule but been having some burn outs, not much but.. not sure if im lazy or what.. but here it is

monday-
    -2hr female gestures ref. study
    -2hr paint study

tuesday
    -2hr male gesture ref study
    -2hr paint study

wed
    -30min - female quick gesture drawings
    -2hr-enviroment
    -2hr paint

thur
    -30min male quick gesture drawings
    -2hr animals/plants study
    -2hr paint study

fri
    -2hr creative design
    -2hr paint study

sat
    -30min bones practices
    -2hr creative design
    -2hr paint study

sun
    -30min muscles practices
    -2hr creative designs
    -2hr paint study

so there it is... is this too much for a practice or too little? im pretty determined to get an art job.. and i feel i need to push myself like alot of pros here.. but i dont want to burn out either...

paint study- is paint anything, screenshots, portraits, animals.. anything

and after the daily practice- i work on 1 super drawing for a week... and again this is after i done the practices...

so tell me what you guys think? am i trying to practice too many things at once? how should i modify it to get the most bang for my bunk? thanks in advance

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think if you burn out its too much. its different for everybody, but i think its good as long as your having fun, and can keep your focus. everybody past that point is pretty useless anyway. i dont know which parts you think are fun? maybe have a more flexible schedule where you can do the things you like at that moment. maybe integrate sessions of 'free' drawing? just making up space zombies from the post apocalyptical galaxies and that kind of stuff, because its probably more relaxing. plus it will learn you implement the stuff you learned from the studies

besides, do you do anything besides drawing like a job or school?

cuz obviously you also need time off, just relaxing, with friends or tv or whatever.

Last edited by ajvenema; January 14th, 2010 at 04:48 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep ramping it up. 4ish hours a day isn't too much (it's ok, but you will need to do more.... realize when you get a job, you will be doing it 8+ hours a day). Maybe instead of studies, try to start doing "for fun" drawings. Things that you WANT to draw and that interest you.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,979 Times in 2,410 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah I agree, if you can't handle four hours a day with no pressure. How will you handle 8 to 12 hours a day 5 to 6 days a week with people telling you they want it yesterday and it has to be to their standards not yours?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok so what I'm getting here is that what you really want is us to give you shoulder pats on how mettlesome you are doing all these studies (with a scedule and all) and tell how every aspiring artist should follow your example. Just saying.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,906 Times in 2,547 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    12 hours? What about the 18 hour days? However, I suppose it's a good idea to have some sort of schedule/routine - but only so far as it stays fun. Heck - any studio art class is three hours alone. All the study is great - but at some point move into focusing on "portfolio pieces" - it can be done in stages, design/development, value studies, color roughs, then final. In other words, try to emulate what you might expect to be doing as a pro.
    I've been around a lot of great "artists" that can nail the figure and draw or paint whatever - but they could never work as a pro because they just don't have "marketable" skills (in their defense they just do it for pleasure - not trying to be pros).

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Thanked 5,793 Times in 1,165 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Don't forget to take breaks and draw something you like to draw aswell (it's a form of studying aswell and makes you practise stuff from memory), if you only do studies you will tire your mind.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You're actually the only one who can answer this, riceface.

Are you coping and enjoying this? Can you keep it up? Are you benefiting from it? Should you try harder or scale back and add to your social life to get more inspiration?

What do you think yourself?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, that's about 4 to 4.5 hours a day.

What do you do with the rest of your time?

If the answer's "I've got a day job", or "I'm a student", too then that's fine, and you're doing loads - in fact, probably too much, and you'll have difficulty sticking to it.

If, on the other hand, your answer is "playing video-games", "watching movies" or similar, then under those circumstances you're not doing anything like enough (assuming you don't have a major health problem).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's ambitious and I think if you can keep it up without burning out or eventually calling it quits, it'll become a finely ingrained discipline. While the time is short, use it to your max. Analyze while you draw and if possible, switch things up to make the studies interesting. I'm currently taking Saturday life drawing classes, but during the week, I work. However, at the moment, I'm using some game/anime figures I got and seeing if I can draw the body underneath. This is how I mix things up as a benefit.

I do agree with everyone else to also spend time drawing what you enjoy. You can not only apply your studies to it, but it might also lead to very enthusiastic studies on your subject of choice (which always turns out better, unsurprisingly). After all, while we must all do the trudge, sometimes we need the boost of enjoyment.

BTW, I like your new attitude. Less bark and bite and more willingness to get into the gritty like the rest of us. Good luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @dpaint.. thats my exact thinking.. it helps me see what hte real world is like..
    and i think u guys arent reading my post correctly.. its 4hours of study a day, and the rest is porfolio piece that takes about a week or 2, trying to do a really good portfolio piece a week... so its more like 6-8 hours.. sometimes even 10..

its hard being motivated when ur not getting paid.. but its a practice of self dicipline

@jeff yes i work on porfolio pieces and take my sweet time through the rest of the day and week..

actually my inspiration was watching and reading what amazing artist did b4 they were employed.. they all say they did nothing but draw.. so i needed to step it up too, if i wan tto be as good as them, while studying smartly and covering as much things as possible

about the "fun of it" sometimes its boring, but i dont really worry about if somethings fun, i dont like wasting time. so it being fun or not is not a factor, its about getting work ultimately

Thanks
    Thanked 4,906 Times in 2,547 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well - that sounds like you have the right approach then - just try to balance it out. You definitely don't want to make something you love drudgery - it can happen, so just try not to overdo it. Art is a lifelong journey...you can't learn it all at once. As far as practical advice goes then, I might try to focus on some marketable, high-demand skills to land a job - then grow from there.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I also think it has to do something with age. When I was a teenager I had a hard time really putting in long hours, but now it seems to come much more natural.
    Also, don't sit behind the same desk al day, or sitting behind a computer screen all the time, that really burns you out I found. Move around, take breaks (!) go outside, get inspired. Go to the movies, go to the theater, read a good book, etc...

Members who have read this thread: 12