Art: Avatar - Neytiri Bust
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Avatar - Neytiri Bust

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hello Everyone, after seeing the movie Avatar I have decided to create a sculpture of one of the main characters. As the title states I have chosen to sculpt Neytiri, she is a female Na'vi who is the tribe leader's daughter.

This is the first time I will attempt to work on a piece for an extended period of time and post work in progress pictures along the way. I do not know how long it will take to complete but I'm guessing roughly a week or two. I usually complete my sculptures all in one sitting (which tends to be roughly 3-9 hours) but this time I want to make a truly extraordinary piece and not rush through it like usual.

I will try my best to show you my sculpture from start to finish. I am truly hoping it comes out well but I cannot make any guarantee's. Anyway folks, Here are the first few pictures of the concept drawing and armature. The clay I will be using will be super sculpey firm.

~Corpsehand~

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Corpsehand; June 18th, 2011 at 01:16 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Bongsplat is offline Does what it say's on the tin! Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great Corpsehand, I love the design of these characters, Cant wait to see it progress

I'm always to keen to finish my sculptures, my theory these days is "it takes as long as it takes"

Good luck my friend

Earhole Bongsplat

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bongsplat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks man, yea I am starting to see that taking my time will really pay off in the long run.

Here is an update on the sculpt. I have bulked out the basic form and just began working on the face. By the next update I will add more clay to the cheek area and work more on the eyes. I added a line towards the button of the eye socket in order to make the sculpt look like it is sleeping but I intend to have open eyes by the end of the project. I just thought it looked more aesthetically pleasing to have closed eyes rather then entirely smoothed over.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I couldn't find any good reference pictures to compare, but I'm a little worried about how narrow her torso is...I think it should be a little wider.
    Anyway, looking forward to your progress.

-Mike Cross

Sculpting Thread|My Website| DeviantArt |My Blog
    -Also on FB and Twitter

6. The Following User Says Thank You to VulgarDragon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by VulgarDragon View Post
    I couldn't find any good reference pictures to compare, but I'm a little worried about how narrow her torso is...I think it should be a little wider.
    Anyway, looking forward to your progress.
    +1

Also, her posture seems to look a tad poor. If her posture is a bit embellished, it wold help the bust come to life.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to adm1976 For This Useful Post:

Bongsplat is offline Does what it say's on the tin! Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi CorpseHand

I would have to agree with Mike about the torso is does need building up a bit, but the head is fantastic, those lips are really nice. you can see that taking your time as paid off

Cant wait for the next update

Earhole Bongsplat

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bongsplat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    VulgarDragon: Not to worry, I have found plenty of reference pictures and I do agree, the torso does need to be bulked out a bit more.

adm1976: I am not entirely sure what you mean by her posture, can you explain more specifically what you mean?

Bongsplat: Hey, Thanks for the kind words .

As you all have pointed out, the torso needed to be bulked out a bit more in order to give her more of an upper hour glass look. I have added to the sides of the torso but haven't really been focusing on it as much as I have been on the face. I figured since it's a free standing bust and isn't nailed to a base that I would start at the top and work my way down. Here are some pictures of the updated bust. Thanks for looking.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Corpsehand,
    I think you're off to a good start here, my only crit so far would be to soften the neck a little. But hey it's early days, things will come together with ears hair etc. Good stuff

Put The Kettle On!
    My CA Thread:TM's Cave
    Visit Me:TeaMonsterUK.com
    Contact Me:info@teamonsteruk.com

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TeaMonster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just stumbled across this really good ref to use or ignore as you see fit:

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Joshua A.C. Newman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just stumbled across this really good ref to use or ignore as you see fit:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    TeaMonster: Hello, Thank you, I do intend to fix the neck up a bit more once I have finished the face.

Joshua A.C. Newman: I appreciate the picture, it certainly helps with the neck anatomy.

I have recently realized that it probably would help to show reference pictures of what it is I am trying to sculpt. So here are some pictures that I am basing my sculpture on. (warning: The images are huge)

http://www.crazythemes.com/images/Av...Wallpapers.jpg

http://www.fondos-gratis.net/wallpap...9-1024x640.jpg

http://schellstudio.com/gallery/thum....php?album=172

~Corpsehand~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Corpsehand View Post
    adm1976: I am not entirely sure what you mean by her posture, can you explain more specifically what you mean?
    It looks as though she is kind of slouching and letting her gut out. Not slouching terribly, but not as upright and powerful, as the character should be.

Here's an example...

Now, when dealing with a bust sculpture, you want to exaggerate the good posture to invoke that powerful and wild persona. It helps bring life to the piece.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to adm1976 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    adm1979: Ahh, Yes, I see exactly what you mean now. Thank you for the picture.

Here is a quick update on the sculpture, I worked on it for a couple more hours today. I added more clay to the cheeks, upper part of the nose, the lips, added ears and have improved her posture. I do realize that the ears appear a bit big for the head and that there are some other facial exaggeration. However I don't intend to make any more major facial adjustments. I also believe that once I add hair the ears will appear less awkward and hopefully it will all come together nicely.

If anyone notices any flaws or has any suggestions, please let me know.

~Corpsehand~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe need to tone down those cheeks? The pronounced creases makes her look a little old...so put a bit more clay between the line between the lips and cheeks, and under the eyes so the transition is smoother and that will help reduce the "hollowness" that is making her look old. I'm impressed by your progress.

-Mike Cross

Sculpting Thread|My Website| DeviantArt |My Blog
    -Also on FB and Twitter

22. The Following User Says Thank You to VulgarDragon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I suspect the crown of the head is a bit low. Eyes are pretty close to the middle of the front of the skull, and yours are a bit high. Since the face seems pretty proportional already, embiggening the skull might get things more human-proportioned (which is what the Na'vi are, skinnier and stretched).

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Joshua A.C. Newman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Way to go jumping in the deep end Corpsehand! This has got to be a challenging bust as Neytiri is a wierd mix of alien/cat/human characteristics and it's difficult to spot where one ends and the next begins. Hat off to you for taking the challenge

After looking at your ref pictures there are two areas that seem a bit off for me.
    1) I can't tell whether the neck is a bit too long or whether it could do with broadening out a bit
    2) The boobs I think are throwing the perspective off because they seem small and in the wrong place.

I don't know though, what do you think about them?

So, where will your imagination take you today?...

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Darkwulf's Talon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    VulgarDragon: Thank you, as you can see from the new update, I have taken your advice for lessening the creases through adding clay.

Joshua A.C. Newman: I suspect you may be right, I have increased the size of her head to fix the proportions.

Darkwulf's Talon: lol Thank you, it certainly is no walk in the park. As for the neck, I am not 100% sure if it's correct but I think now that I added the hair it looks better. As for her chest, in the movie she doesn't have much to begin with so if they do appear a bit small it's not that much of an issue. I also think the hair has also helped in this area as well. Thanks again though.

Thank you all once again for the kind words and advice,

Here is the latest update. I do apologize for not showing work in progresses of doing the hair, I wanted to but once I started I couldn't stop till I finished. Since the last update I have added clay to the creases in her face, added more to the top of her nose, added hair, and overall tried to make her look more catlike.

As for how I did the hair, I rolled out long strands of clay and textured them before sticking them onto her head. For the ponytail I wrapped smaller pieces of clay around it prior to putting it on. I also used many needles to stick the hair up against her head so if I ever attempt to make a mold of her it wouldn't be as much of an issue.

For the next update I intend to put a piece of cloth over her chest, add some jewelry such as ear loops, necklace, and maybe a feather somewhere. I also intend to smooth over all imperfections and very lightly texture her skin.

Thanks for Looking,

~Corpsehand~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very nice work mate ...keep it up

29. The Following User Says Thank You to agrmrs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is looking great Corpsehand

The hair looks great and really frames the whole sculpt. Cant wait to see the paint up

See ya

Earhole Bongsplat

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Bongsplat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, this piece is really taking shape, {been watching from the wings,} lots of work. You've done well. The female is tough to sculpt, takes a soft touch.
    The pic of the profile looks like you have captured her essence though.
    Good job!!

Mah ' Crub

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Mah ' Crub For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well done the hair is setting her off nicely and the other bits you're going to do should make this one of your proudest achievements.

Are you keeping her afterwards?

So, where will your imagination take you today?...

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Darkwulf's Talon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    agrmrs: Thanks man

Bongsplat: Thanks , as for the paint job, I hate to disappoint but I am going to have to hold off on attempting that until I successfully make a casting of it because I can't risk ruining the original. Plus my airbrush broke so I gotta replace it.

Mah ' Crub: Thank you, yea this one was quite a challenge.

Darkwulf's Talon: Thanks again, I do intend to keep her.

Thank you all once again for all the kind words and suggestions, I don't think she would have came out anywhere near as good as she has if it wasn't for all of you guys' help.

Here are the final pictures of the finished piece. I have added a shirt and a necklace. I decided against giving her ear loops due to the high risk of ruining her ears and making them more fragile. I also didn't add anything else that would easily snap off because I do intend to make a mold of her someday.

If I do successfully cast her I will probably paint her and add feathers and stuff. However I don't have sufficient funds to even attempt to cast her for quite some time so I can't promise that update anytime soon.

Thanks again,

~Corpsehand~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This looks fantastic M8

You've done a really nice job of her and managed to keep that feminine quality.
    It will be good to see the final cast all painted when you get the chance to do it.

Earhole Bongsplat

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Bongsplat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well done

Hope the casting goes well, let us know.

Put The Kettle On!
    My CA Thread:TM's Cave
    Visit Me:TeaMonsterUK.com
    Contact Me:info@teamonsteruk.com

40. The Following User Says Thank You to TeaMonster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well done. I'm glad you took the criticisms to heed and made the changes...it was for the better. Top notch!

42. The Following User Says Thank You to adm1976 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Made the original a while ago, but after creating a three piece silicone/plaster mold (Silicone brushed on, plaster two piece shell) I had successfully cast a copy in plastic even though the original was severely damaged in the process. Here is a picture of the painted copy. It was quite a process to clean up the plastic copy with epoxy and then paint it, but I am very pleased with the results. Here are some pictures of the finished piece.

Last picture is tilted cause the camera titled a bit as I took it. She was very difficult to photograph because the skin is very reflective of light. These pictures are the best out of 20-30 takes.

Paint job is mostly airbrushed, hand painted the eyes, clothes and hair beads. Eyes are glazed

Eric

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.