Critique required for beginner portrait

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Post Critique required for beginner portrait

Dear ConceptArt(ers),
    Could you please critique this piece of work for me? I'm a Photoshop/Digital painting newbie and this is my most complex piece of work yet. I would really like to know how to improve it.

If possible, I could use some remarks on:
    (a) coloring
    (b) how the hair could be improved
    Of course, any other helpful comments are also welcome.

I don't know if this matters but this painting has been done on a Wacom Bamboo Fun using Photoshop CS2. I've also downsampled the image to make it more palatable in the thread view.

Thank you.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,959 Times in 2,400 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The pose is very unnatural. Usually it is a good idea to turn the body slightly for a portrait to keep that pose relaxed. The pupils of the eyes are not usually that small compared to the rest of the eyes and give her a zombie look.
    There are general proportions for the head that are off like the width of the skull and the distance between the eyes.
    For skin tones, the nose and cheeks tend to be redder, the forehead slightly greener and the neck a little yellower. When I say slightly, I mean very slight shifts in hue.
    Her clavical is too small and sems a little out of place.
    As her form turns back into space they edges could be softer because they pick up more of the background color.
    The light source seems made up. The light can't be brightest on the tip of her nose and be casting a shadow from her eyelids on her eyes. Same for the philtrum it can't be that dark if the light is shining on it

In general you have focused too much on surface qualities and not enough on form and angle of light in the scene

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thank you!

The pose is very unnatural. Usually it is a good idea to turn the body slightly for a portrait to keep that pose relaxed. The pupils of the eyes are not usually that small compared to the rest of the eyes and give her a zombie look.
    There are general proportions for the head that are off like the width of the skull and the distance between the eyes.
    For skin tones, the nose and cheeks tend to be redder, the forehead slightly greener and the neck a little yellower. When I say slightly, I mean very slight shifts in hue.
    Her clavical is too small and sems a little out of place.
    As her form turns back into space they edges could be softer because they pick up more of the background color.
    The light source seems made up. The light can't be brightest on the tip of her nose and be casting a shadow from her eyelids on her eyes. Same for the philtrum it can't be that dark if the light is shining on it

In general you have focused too much on surface qualities and not enough on form and angle of light in the scene
    Dear dpaint,
    Thank you so much for your comments. They are very helpful. I will work on improving this painting.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.