ConceptArt.org copyright question ? ?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: ConceptArt.org copyright question ? ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face ConceptArt.org copyright question ? ?

Hi,

I'm not sure where else to post this.

I'm thinking about starting a sketchbook...and otherwise posting my art here.

If you post your art/pics at some sites...they have a disclaimer that they reserve the right to republish, edit, crop, and or use anything you post at their site for promotion and advertising etc.

I've been looking to see if CA reserves any rights for images that are posted here. So far I've checked registration info, FAQ's...and last week sent an e-mail to the webmaster...but so far I haven't found any info.

Does any one know the policies here...are there any links to info you could provide?

Or does CA not ask for any rights?

Thanks in advance,

Jephyr

- A man diligent and skillful in his work will stand before kings -
    - All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty -

"You can't design what you don't know." Jeff Watts (as seen in Windmaker's SB)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

BlightedArt is offline That annoying itch you just can't seem to scratch Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ConceptArt.org is all about the fair use of images that its users upload. If you start a sketchbook then you won't find your images used in any of their ad campaigns (at least not without direct permission from you) or anything of the sort. The only thing you'd have to worry about from that front is other users and site visitors from using your images (such is the danger from uploading images anywhere on the internet), but really all you need to do is put a little watermark link in the corner saying it's yours, or providing your website.

Don't worry, the bigwigs at CA.org do NOT exploit the works of any members for a quick buck.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlightedArt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 557 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, CA.org doesn't ask for or reserve any rights. Actually Jason.M, the high chieftan around these parts, has done a lot to protect the rights of it's artists throughout the years. It's probably one of the safest places around to post your stuff.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Deviantart!

or check out my: Blog

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ArtZealot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Thank you both very much!!

To wax poetic: I've been falling in love with this place...mostly perusing the sketchbooks...and it's finally finished...and finding INSPIRATION and tips etc.

But I'm finding as you both demonstrated...a good community too!

Quote Originally Posted by BlightedArt View Post
    only thing you'd have to worry about from that front is other users and site visitors from using your images (such is the danger from uploading images anywhere on the internet), but really all you need to do is put a little watermark link in the corner saying it's yours, or providing your website.
    Good advice...I've already found my images being used on other forums...and got into a month and a half battle with a guy over rights use for one of my mages.

So it's good to know I don't have to worry about image use on the forum itself!

Thanks again!!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jephyr X For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When you upload pictures to CA you also input metadata such as copyright, type of media used and category of the content... that way, if you have to pursue legal action, you have a point of reference that your image was uploaded here at a certain date with your name attached as the copyright holder.

CA is probably one of the safest places to post your art, and the community here is remarkably dedicated to helping others improve, which is why you will notice the feedback-to-useless-praise ratio being better than any other major site. =)

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kab For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

Thanks kab!

I hadn't thought about being able to use uploaded images here to bolster copyright clams. Excellent to know.

I had to educate myself on usig the attachment manager to access "metadata such as copyright, type of media used and category of the content" etc.

For anyone else wondering how to do that it's in Jason M's (thanks for looking in!) post here:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=74970

I appreciate your other comments too kab...on safety and the community here helping each other improve. I can feel that already!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.