Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: UrbanHermits's Sketchbook

Thanks

UrbanHermits's Sketchbook

Hello Everyone,

I am a 23 year old who has just began drawing this year. I was always interested in drawing for fun as a small child but really never considered pursuing it seriously. Recently I decided to start drawing for a hobby again and I have now decided to see if I can get good enough get something more out of drawing other than just a hobby. I am interested in becoming an artist in the video game industry in the future, although my plans may change depending on how I progress.

I have started this sketchbook so I can get advice and guidance on how I can achieve my goals from this network of artists. I welcome constructive criticism from you all. I am starting form the very beginning so my work won't be great but hopefully that will change with plenty of practice. I draw most days and will post my drawings as often as possible.

I was really inspired by the progress of MindCandyMan's sketchbook which gave me the motivation to do this so I thank him for the inspiration.
    Last edited by UrbanHermit; February 6th, 2010 at 05:16 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Here are some recent studies from the Loomis book on drawing heads, I tried not to just copy the examples in the book but draw the sphere in various postions of my choice;
    Last edited by UrbanHermit; January 11th, 2010 at 09:37 PM.

Thanks
    Studies on the bones and muscles that form the head. I did some eyes from memory after reading how the are constructed, the first 5 are crap but the last 2 aren't so bad I think;
    Last edited by UrbanHermit; January 11th, 2010 at 09:34 PM.

Thanks
    Hello! These studies are a good start! However it would also be nice to see some of your drawings from imagination to see how you can apply these studies to your work. After doing a session of studying you should try to draw what you've been studying from memory to see if it benefited you.

Also you seem to have a good understanding of structure based on your sphere studies from Loomis, however your ellipses need a bit of work for the most part. I would recommend learning a bit of mechanical perspective and technical drawing. It might seem boring, but it helps a lot with freehand sketching when you understand the principles behind it. Plus if you want to design vehicles later this is essential to know!

Other than that you have a good eye and clean lines, so keep posting. And here's a link to an article that explains ellipses if you're interested: Ellipses

Thanks
    RickyS, Your right my ellipses need some work. I plan to do some perspective studies this week and will be sure to work on my ellipses like you mentioned. I plan to start doing some faces from memory soon as well to help me use what I am learning. Thanks for the advice.
    The Late Starters Sketch Group

UrbanHermit~Krel~DiR3Kt~Sir Cam

Thanks
    Nice studies, man. I like how serious you take them. Keep posting, looking forward to more!
    The Latecomers SG
    krel, Sir Cam,
    Whirly, TomFenton

Friends Sketchbooks
    witcrack, Bman, purb, Jeff
    kostas, danny

Thanks
    Great start!
    Yes definitely study perspective. According to Leonardo it's the backbone of the craft!

I will also recommend Vilppu and Robert Beverly Hale of course. Not to mention Gottfried Bammes and Bridgeman.

Hope you suceed in your career plans.

Thanks
    hey there, good start so far. I'm pretty new too and was doing the exact same Loomis studies the same day! I however was not as patient as you and looking at how much better you seem to understand them than me I think I'll go back and look at them again!

I agree with RickyS too, studeies are very important and I really admire the effort your putting in, but why not break it up a little! let us see what you can do!

Good Luck

Katie

Thanks
    Thanks for the comments

Krel Thats the plan try and take it seriously to achieve my goals of becoming good at drawing.

Hummel1Dane Yeah, perspective is important it's just so bloody boring! I am waiting for the book Figure Drawing: Design and Invention so you will see some full body drawings when I get this book.

TheButterBunny I find with Loomis you need to go slow because the way his book is structured it's hard to understand unless you take your time. I will start putting these studies into practice soon as well.
    Last edited by UrbanHermit; February 6th, 2010 at 07:48 PM.

Thanks
    I took your advice and did some perspective studies today to improve my ellipses.

I did some still life drawings of objects in my room to practice values. I also did some spheres from memory

There are some random sketches I did as well of my feet and eyes. Plus a copy of a Leonardo Da Vinci drawing.

If someone could give me some advice on how to improve my values it would be very welcome.
    Last edited by UrbanHermit; February 6th, 2010 at 07:49 PM.

Thanks
    You've made a good start here mate. Keep up this impressive work rate my friend!!

Thanks
    great start man, I'll subscribe to this thread, hope you become another mindcandyman!

hmm just some advice, try not to be too systematic with rendering, try and observe/feel the form and structure of what you're drawing.

Edges are another thing that helps to convey form (soften edges to push parts back and harden/sharpen to pull things forward), this helps create contrast, marry this with contrast in value and you get a spacial sense in your forms.

Try see if you can get anything out of the Reilly method (explained here by Erik gist) :

http://www.erikgist.com/ErikGist_Wat...reTutorial.pdf

Keep working hard!

Thanks
    Turbosnail, Thanks for taking a look at my sketchbook.

PaperX, Thanks for the advice on shading and subscribing as well. That link you posted didn't work but I found an e-book with the Reilly Method explained in full.

I moved on to constructing the primary planes of the face from the Loomis book. Rather than just copy the images, I read the book then drew heads at various angles from memory to help me remember the planes. I did plan to do more today but I have a cold so need some rest.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast