Art: Check Out my Portfolio!!

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Thumbs up Check Out my Portfolio!!

Hey everyone:

Im a new poster and long-time follower, and I have been studying from all the great images on this site . Now I have finally put together a portfolio and looking for feedback. I will accept any and all comments, the good n bad!!!

Thanks in advance!

http://www.wix.com/donaldharrisjr/dharrisjralbum

**side note: Im at work now so I cant post any of the pictures, but I will when i get off!! YES to multitasking!!!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Since you're looking for crits, could someone move this over to the crit forum but while its here I'll add my thoughts.

First of all, its not clear what type of work you're looking for, that is what the sections in your portfolio should be. Also it should only contain finished work.

The way you have it layed out, many of the images are way too small. Your "zoom" size is what they should all be normally.

Especially since you're starting, your entire portfolio shouldn't be more then 10-15 pieces, you have alot of pieces that aren't at the same level of quality and anything under that you shouldn't have in there. For example, in your Life Drawing section your "Angel" looks very amature compared to your "Posed female". Which means depending on how many of your best pieces you have, you will only need 1-3 sections.

Your "Sketches" section should be merged into your "Concepts" section. I would remove the process section.

Overall I would really focus your portfolio on the job you're looking for. Are you trying to get into game art or book illustration or what? Everytime you work on a new piece, think about that and if it will really benefit your portfolio. Create the type of work that your possible employer would want to see. My guess is if you're going for game art then they would rather see a variety of fantasy races/armor/weapons rather then nude life drawings. Because any and every artist can draw a nude figure, you have to show them why to hire you, what are they getting from your and your creativity that they won't get from the next guy.

Lastly your portfolio doesn't give the viewer any way to contact you, you need to have your email on there somewhere.

You definately have potential and some of those pieces are really good and show that you do have skill, posting on this site for crits can be a huge help, I do it every few months because none of my friends/family will give honest crits and that won't help you grow Anyway good luck, can't wait to see what your portfolio looks like in a few months. Also check this out: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=178335 you can get portfolio reviews from the pros!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amber Alexander For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey thanks Amber, and appericate the comments n crit, (lol and will be moving my post over to the crit section). But I included the process section because I was told to have a iteration section in my portfolio from an Art director and a game company. lol I guess my execution was wrong.

But thanks again and will be posting after I finish my next push!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 722 Posts
    Everything I was about to say, Amber already covered. If you follow her advice to make the quality consistent, images bigger, sections fewer (employers don't have a lot of time, hook 'em with simplicity), and your goal more clear, then you will be headed very much in the right direction. I would also add a custom logo or typeface for the header... the type you have now isn't too interesting.

Oh, and for a crit on the art itself, the pieces you used reference on look very nice, but the pieces that are straight from imagination are a ways behind. When you're doing the imagination pieces, it's a good idea to use reference if that's what you need to bring up the quality.

Thanks
    Hi BlueIceX, I perused over your portfolio and I like your life drawing. I'm still in the mid stages of drawing which at times can be frustrating but I am making an effort to improve. Good Luck...

Dan

Thanks
    To be perfectly honest, not ready for employment yet.
    keep working at it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wilkerson View Post
    To be perfectly honest, not ready for employment yet.
    keep working at it.
    I'm sure you could be more constructive then that. It would be more helpful to explain why he's not ready for employment or what he could most improve on.

Thanks
    I think overall just needs refinement of skills.

Thanks
    Well though I made need refinement of my skills, without a explaination your comment is still pretty invalid. I mean you must "take this seriously" too; if another viewer gave you a comment like that, I dont believe you would just take it for value and move on. If it was really that bad, Im sure you would ask for an explaination too.

So I ask you, where do i need refinements?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueIceX View Post
    Well though I made need refinement of my skills, without a explaination your comment is still pretty invalid. I mean you must "take this seriously" too; if another viewer gave you a comment like that, I dont believe you would just take it for value and move on. If it was really that bad, Im sure you would ask for an explaination too.

So I ask you, where do i need refinements?
    My opinion is valid whether you like it or not.
    Jackwhat is kind of right. If an employer saw your work and didnt like it, you probably wouldn't here anything.
    I'm in the same boat. Sometimes you wont get feedback.

Thanks
    Some people (like some executives and bosses) just "feel" that there's something wrong with the images and just don't like them, and that's as far as you'll get with this people, because well.. they just don't have the formation or the technical knowledge to tell you what's wrong exactly..

I can see that your linework is waaaaay tougher than your painting and rendering skills, you can see it in the concept section, on the weapon and skeleton designs, that's good. So...

First, yeah, you still have work to do on rendering and color "behaviors", to improve that aspect, it's always good to look closely on how does it work on live paintings and study some color theory (REALLY important this last one). And always think about the light, like what are the light sources, what is their color, why are the walls of the houses so yellow if the light source is white and the sky is blue (for example the "town" concept in the enviroment section). The color behavior depends on many things, just look more closely.
    Once you get your color and illumination worked out, your paintings are going to look way better.

Second, for rendering you need to sharp the edges, and define the details way better, especially the ones that light strikes stronger.

Third, composition, images like "showdown", or "town" can be way more inmersive if we plan the composition in a better way, for this aspect, there are many tutorials, even in this forum, that will help you out, but you can start thinking what would happen if I place the "camera" from a "human"point of view?, or if I place something closer to the "camera", so the audience can "feel" they're actually there.

And finally... Technical issues, like human figure and perspective. Without those, your portfolio is always going to look weak.

I hope this helps...

Alejandro Díaz
    Student
    Supinfocom Arles
    France

http://adconcept.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Thanks lot adconcept, I agree that in the employment feild, that a simple "need to do better", is sometimes all they will give you. But if your posting on forums, little comments like that does nothing for the progression of the artist, especially when we are looking for helpful feedback. :-) but thats just me!!

As for your comment, I appreciate it alot (lookng deeper into color theory)!! :-)
    Thanks again!!

Thanks
    I think Adconcept nailed something i was going to comment on. i would def spend some time working with you color palettes. Start really looking and even following some professionals color palettes , also watch out for your saturation levels, you can adjust your colors in lab mode in photoshop if you want to increase curves or contrast without over saturating things. Good start though keep working at it.

my portfolios
    special k

school k

my sketches.
    -K-

My classmates and comrades
    Nightblue | Alex the Red | Ronpower | zhiao | aptwillight

Thanks
    id like to add something here that nobody else seemed to comment on:
    your website sucks ass.
    THAT can be extremely detrimental to you. even if your work was as good as, say Marko, i wouldn't invest the time and effort to look at the actual work.

1. the navigation was fine, very simple. just boring.
    2. when you hover over an image and it gets bigger? that was super annoying. why not just leave it static? too much bullshit going on... cant focus on the work which is the most important thing.
    3. the whole zoom thing was even MORE annoying than the hover. again, too much shit going on. you have 3 different sizes of one image, thats stupid. you need only ONE size for each image. thats it.
    4. the side scrolling thing? also annoying, and slow.

but my biggest problem with flash for an art portfolio website:

you cant save the images!!!!
    you may be asking why would i want someone to be able to "steal" my images? well here's the deal: artists/art directors REGULARLY send jpgs to people when they're trying to HIRE someone. if i'm looking for an illustrator, i'll go to his site and grab a couple images, (or copy paste direct links to specific images) email them to my art director and say "what about this guy?" if i cant do that, I MOVE ON TO ANOTHER ARTIST. that means you just lost work.

MY RECOMMENDATION:
    forget flash. make your website as simple as possible. hell a BLOG would be better than what you have right now. i have over 200 links to concept artists that i like, 70% of those links are just BLOGS. no shit.
    know why? BECAUSE THEY AREN'T WEB DESIGNERS.
    wordpress is free, and there are TONS of different themes out there you can download.
    indexexhibit is free, thats what i used to build my website. AND IM A DESIGNER. i could have created a killer website. i also do motion graphics, i could have had all kinds of crazy cool flash animation. but i dont. wanna know why?
    because im a professional who makes $600 a day. i know from experience, that shit doesn't get you work.
    YOUR WORK gets you work.
    and listen to the critiques you're getting above (amber), you need to work on some things.

good luck man, hope i wasn't too harsh.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDirtSyndicate For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    another thing thats annoying about flash: it always re-sizes the image to fit the window. know what that means? you get that nasty flash pixelation. the only way an image in flash looks clean is if its at exactly 100% of the original image size. if its scaled up or down it looks like crap. you dont want your work to look like crap do you?

Thanks
    Heyy, thanks everyone for still commenting, I will be putting in all my time into my portfolio after I finish my current piece.. and fix my ps3..(I got the red blinking light of death..dammit). But thanks again and TheDirtSyndicate although it was really harsh, I will take your word on your advance because what you said does make sense to me. I think my next site will be a blog, which I have noticed alot of ppl using. I just didnt think that would be a proper portfolio website. lol but I guess so.

Thanks
    hey Blue, nice stuff. Sorry i made it to this thread really late. I know you were looking for more concrete critiques, so i thought i might be able to suggest a few things:

Edges: You should keep edges in mind. Many of your edges on the majority of your pieces have the same quality, as if every edge was painted with the same softness of a brush. Try mixing things up a little bit; pieces work well when there is contrast, whether it's contrast between hard and soft edges, light and dark values, organic and inorganic shapes, or warm and cool colors.

Lighting: I feel as if many of your pieces could be made much my dynamic and dramatic with a more defined light source. A mistake many people make, myself included, is to start painting without determining your light source at the start. Keep that in mind so you know where to place cast shadows.

Color Dodge? After looking at your pieces under 'Concepts' and noticing the way the colors are shifting in the highlights, im guessing you're using a color dodge brush. I could be wrong, but if you are, you should try to be a little less heavy handed with it. Soaking large portions of a piece with it can make the light seem sterile - it makes all the highlights too similar.

Keep up the good work. Art is hard.

Thanks
    Good stuff!. I like to see someone take their skills to a finished level.
    keep posting!
    Great brush work! even though it is digital. right?

my sketchbook - http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=181789

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.