Self Portrait Critique

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Self Portrait Critique

Hello fellow Concept Art peeps

I'm pretty new here so please let me know if I'm doing anything incorrectly and steer me in the right direction.

First of all thanks for stopping by my thread!

I have a piece of work here I did about 2 semesters ago apart of my entrance portfolio into my college's art program (I got in yay!).

I would love to get some opinions about this piece. PLEASE rip this thing apart I need your helpful eyes, as I really like this piece and want to maybe use it in a professional portfolio.

No need to be nice to me, your not going to hurt my feelings.

A little about the piece itself, I used a photograph of myself, used painted and a brush to make it "painterly", then rode into photoshop and did all the texture work and background stuff.

Rip me a new one kthxs

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I mean, I like how it looks, and the varying textures/surfaces that you've used. The biggest problem is that the angel wing makes it seem contrived. It's like I've seen this on a Hallmark sympathy card before or something. But I think there are ways around that.

First, I'd say to dissolve the stark contrast between your face and the background --- bring the different surfaces into one another. The separation really makes me think of some kind of clichéd heaven/life-on-earth thing.

And second I think you shouldn't use such an iconic angel wing. It just seems out of place, that universal symbol against the rest of the piece which is unique. It can work, just not in this work I think.

But I do largely enjoy this. Nicely done and I hope this helps!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to lalu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looks shopped and filtered, which is cool, but if you want a more painterly effect take some blenders and break up some of the hard lines around your face and especially on the hairs above your head to match the rest of the piece. (it just stands out too much)

bottom line, it just looks too blatantly like the photograph (which has a boring effect on people who look at your piece), try painting your portrait on a layer directly above your photo layer and use the eye drop tool to match your colors, this will force you to be more painterly with your brush strokes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by lalu View Post
    I mean, I like how it looks, and the varying textures/surfaces that you've used. The biggest problem is that the angel wing makes it seem contrived. It's like I've seen this on a Hallmark sympathy card before or something. But I think there are ways around that.

First, I'd say to dissolve the stark contrast between your face and the background --- bring the different surfaces into one another. The separation really makes me think of some kind of clichéd heaven/life-on-earth thing.

And second I think you shouldn't use such an iconic angel wing. It just seems out of place, that universal symbol against the rest of the piece which is unique. It can work, just not in this work I think.

But I do largely enjoy this. Nicely done and I hope this helps!

Yeah I had this feeling too when I made the picture. Re-examining this might help me a little.

I really like the point you brought up about bringing more unity between the background and my face. I really think that's helpful and I will try to do that.

I didn't realize the wing was working against me so I will have to think up another way to make it more original. I like the wing concept but if it comes off that way it needs to be re-thought.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by pctoolml View Post
    looks shopped and filtered, which is cool, but if you want a more painterly effect take some blenders and break up some of the hard lines around your face and especially on the hairs above your head to match the rest of the piece. (it just stands out too much)

bottom line, it just looks too blatantly like the photograph (which has a boring effect on people who look at your piece), try painting your portrait on a layer directly above your photo layer and use the eye drop tool to match your colors, this will force you to be more painterly with your brush strokes.
    Well, there is a tool I used in Painter X called "Clone". It basically takes a brush and a photograph and reads all the color info in the photo and makes it match the brush. you have the freedom to make whatever brush strokes you want, without worrying about color. So it's not really "shopped" or "filtered". But I don't want this work coming off this way.

The blenders is an interesting idea, so I will have to play with that a little bit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gah, all I have right now is painter essentials. One thing that would help is working the small features more. Right now it looks like portions of the nose mouth and eyes are virtually(no pun intended) untouched.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I´m not that fond of the background, since it kinda just looks like splattering colour around in photoshop using random brushes and not really giving it that much thought. As lalu already pointed out, I would also get rid of the wing, it´s just really cliché. As for the rendering of the face (even though you would learn a lot more if you tried painting the face on your own instead of just paint over a photo), try using the strokes in different directions to get a more painterly feel to it. When they´re all in the same direction like that it just feels too much like you´ve fooled around with the smudgetool.

Members who have read this thread: 1