Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: "My density has brought me to you." (UPDATE Jan 31st)

Thanks

"My density has brought me to you." (UPDATE Jan 31st)

Oh dear, I hope I'm doing this right.

I registered today with no intention whatsoever of creating my own sketchbook, I mainly registered to to marvel at the sheer talent gathered at this place and to learn. Too, I marvelled at the progression that is so plain to see in some sketchbooks, and how some people go from basic to excellent artists in a few years, and that made me feel better about my art. And then I read that opening a sketchbook of one's own is encouraged so...here I am.

Help and thoughts are welcome. I picked up painting and drawing again in December 2009 after a four-year absence and am slowly trying to pick up things were I left them. Issues I think I'm having are anatomy (I'm practising!), shading and contrast and composition. Though I'm fairly sure I need to work hard on about everything. But that's the cool thing about art--every new piece painted is rewarding.
    Last edited by Inishmore; February 21st, 2010 at 01:34 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Sorry for the double post, I just read that the first post is usually used for introduction and the newest work *facepalm*

#1 an illustration I did for a friend's original story set in the 1930s

#2 started out as a face study but I semi-finished it in the end. The reason why there's a mean evil border around the painting is that the area within is supposed to be filled with a background, but my first attempt at that was rather unsuccessful.

#3 a quick study of a bayou I did today after having browsed many sketchbooks here I tried to step out of my comfort zone and work with more contrast and bigger brush strokes.

Thanks
    Hey, vielen Dank für den Kommi in meinem SB! Also was ich dir raten würde, ist, die soften Pinsel so wie den Airbrush erstmal links liegen zu lassen und mit härteren zu arbeiten. Vielleicht solltest du dir auch mal einige gute brushes runterladen, die PS-Standardpinsel sind glaub ich nicht so toll. Am schnellsten kommst du voran mit viel life drawing. Dann entwickelt sich das Auge und du siehst "mehr" und genauer. Master studies sind auch gut. Bei Fotos aufpassen, dass du nicht stumpf abmalst sondern in 3d denkst.
    My sketchbook

Nur die Harten kommen in den Garten

5. The Following User Says Thank You to erdbeerfeldheld For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Vielen, vielen Dank für den Kommentar und die Tipps! Ich habe immer noch ein bisschen Angst vor dem harten Pinsel, aber die werd ich jetzt wohl überwinden müssen ;-) Was die Custom Brushes betrifft, ich habe haufenweise davon, allerdings eher um damit Grafiken zu machen, zum Malen eignen sie sich nicht besonders. Ich versuche gerade herauszufinden, was für Brushes man wohl gut fürs Malen benutzen kann und steh ein bisschen wie der Ochs vorm Berg...

Thanks
    not a bad start at all, keep practicing, try going loose then when detailing use the selection tool. keep at it

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LMK For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you!

Selection tool...*makes a note* Thanks!

Thanks
    Thank you for the nice comment in my sketchbook, it looks like you're off to a good start! If you update your sketchbook at least 3-4 times a week with nice studies and fun paintings and drawings, you'll improve quickly for sure. I wish you the best on your sketchbook journey!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cdejong For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you so much!

I'll try to update as often as I can

I did a few hand studies tonight--drawn from life. Hands are among my biggest issues. I can't abstract them whilst drawing. Hence why they don't look "dynamic" or "whole", I think, but more like a random assortment of lines. I know that practice is the key to improve, but I wonder if there's a trick perhaps to learn to view the hand more abstractly.

(And yes, my hands do look kind of odd on top. My real hands, I mean. Not the drawn ones)

Mischeviouslittleelf is offline Promoted himself from Auxillery Pencil Infaantrist to Tablet Gunner
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,076 Times in 716 Posts

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mischeviouslittleelf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    It helps to study Bridgman, he simplifies the hand down some... or just try to think of the palm of the hand as a big rectangular box, with each of the fingers being long rectangular boxes. This will get you simplifying the hand, as well as understanding the forms of the hand.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to cdejong For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @Mischeviouslittleelf Thanks! I try

@cdejong Thank you for the advice! I just went on amazon and put quite a few of his books on my wishlist, they look quite useful. I'll take a closer look at them on the weekend and order some. Thanks!

Thanks
    Hey! Nice work so far. The old radio is awesome!.
    I would recommend the bridgeman book like Cdejong did, but I also like a lot the Andrew Loomis book about figure drawing.
    So easy and cool for human figure. Its almost impossible to buy, but you can easily find one the internet (like on Scribd.com: The Andrew Loomis book).
    It is where I started.
    Keep posting!
    Cheers
    "Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six"

Blog

Sketchbook

Deviant

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hellfire For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @Hellfire: thank you! And thanks for the link also, I will definitely check it out!

The painting here is a quick study and me trying to put advice given here into practice--hard brush set to pen pressure and trying to think of a reference picture as 3D, not 2D. It was mostly me figuring out pen adjustments etc but I figured I'd post it nonetheless

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast