PS or paper?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: PS or paper?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

PS or paper?

I'm trying to imitate the pros' quality of concept art, and I am not sure weather to draw on paper first and scan it, or just use ps entirely.

What are the pros and cons of each?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 722 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It comes down to personal preference.

On paper many artists find they have greater line control. Some have no problem drawing straight into photoshop. Also in photoshop it's easier to quickly draw in large shapes.

It's up to you to find out which method works best for you.

However, a traditional foundation is irreplaceable in your development as an artist. It's better to do field studies with pencil and paper because it is simply the most natural way to learn to draw, and because you do not have the temptations of undo and transform and all the bells and whistles of Photoshop... it is just you and the paper, with no shortcuts available. If you have the skills with pencil and paper, you will find that those skills will transfer to the wacom tablet when you are ready to do so.

Last edited by Ian Barker; January 10th, 2010 at 08:41 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ian Barker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    totally agreed with that.
    besides, its easier to take your sketchbook outdoors, which makes it easier to just draw everywhere. if you only work with ps, the barricade to just start to draw might be a bit higher.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I found after using photoshop for drawing and then going back to pencil and paper that I was doing a lot more rubbing out. Having the options -to undo or warp or cut and paste- in photoshop makes one a lot less careful to put the line in the right place the first time around. On the whole I think it's better to draw something on paper and then scan that to render and colour it. Sometimes it's nice to let some of the paper texture show through the colouring. Things done entirely in photoshop can look a bit plasticky.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dashinvaine View Post
    On the whole I think it's better to draw something on paper and then scan that to render and colour it. Sometimes it's nice to let some of the paper texture show through the colouring. Things done entirely in photoshop can look a bit plasticky.
    What dashinvaine said.

And it costs a lot of less energy and time to put a pencil on a piece of paper and draw. If you use photoshop with a tablet you have to think of your brushes, strokes, pressure, if photoshop will or won't crash and lots of other stuff. That's all wasted brain power. That brain power is something you can use making the drawing better with a medium you've used your entire life

Computers are faster, but they just take longer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's a matter of preference and digital dexterity. For me, I can directly sketch in the image on the Wacom tablet and flesh it out on P-shp or Painter. Or I could draw it on paper and scan it in. If the original paper image is larger than 11 x 14, I have to scan in portions of the artwork and 'assemble' it on photoshop in various layers, flatten them and adjust the opacity/line art, probably cleaning up any smudges if needed.

There's no right or wrong way of going about it as long as you work within the parameters of the project itself with the proper output and format.

Anid Maro is offline Psychotic Eldritch Zeppelin Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Get proficient in both, and then pick by preference or needs. That doesn't mean you need to be a maestro in both, just decent enough to evaluate which one you prefer over the other.

By the way, there's just as much to think about when doing art the analog way. There are different types of paper (hot/cold press, bristol, vellum, etc.), many different tools (pencil, pen, brush, knife, etc.), and many different ways to use the different tools (thick/thin lines, washes, spatter, impasto, etc.). The only way to get around the work of working with tools is practice to the point it becomes second nature (either digital or analog).

-My work can be found at my local directory thread.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.