Sketchbook: Jelly Magic - Page 5
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Jelly Magic

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The left side of the face is the one that is wonky, not the left eye, in my opinion. Analyze the planar surfaces first, J! The planes that are facing the same direction will be of the same color optically, but not actually, it depends on the lighting condition.

But in overall, you did GREAT! Good luck with the plan

I'm making mess here: Sketchbook .
    also on dA and blogspot

Cool people:
    Rotor | Kristoff | Kingkostas | Angel Intheuk | bbwolf
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to witcrack For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright dude, just dropped by and thought I'd say you've got some very accomplished life drawings, really good lines giving a sense of movement. Something your bringing through really well with your digital art too. Keep it up.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to :.Interloper.: For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, I like the way you draw, I can identify with the scribbly approximation and rough build up of forms. Perhaps I am mistaken but I bet you're working quickly on your sketches. You might benefit from slowing down a bit and concentrating on precision. Also you might try to eliminate unnecessary lines; put down just one swift line, and if it's incorrect, put down another but don't erase the first.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to papervampire For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    witcrack: thanks for the advice, it mirrors what other people were saying on VLP. Not sure what you mean by optical and actual though. Can you show me an example of that?

:.Interloper.: Cheers for the support. Good support at a time when I need it! Thanks!

papervampire: Yeah precision is what I need and I am going to get it. But I like to work fast because it's fun for me. When I work slow I get bogged down in detail and loose the spirit. I am trying to go for precision by changing the way I think about drawing and the way I observe. Also drawing everyday helps.

I will of course try to slow down a bit to see if I like it! But I have my doubts.

Matty: Sorry for not posting. I'm still working on teh heads and stuff but putting a lot of energy into process and trying to get that self portrait finished with the still life and this new character/creature design comp. It's Polyphemus from Ulysses done in Wild West setting and more of his heritage of being Poseidon's son on display.

Work in Progress!!

Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More work on Polyphemus..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Composition and design is good. You're playing brave with colors too. Good. Pay more attention to the tentacles, its long shapes will suggest some movement and direct viewers eyes, so be sure to make them right. Especially so they don't obscure the focal point. What you have is okay, but can be improved still if you want it, i'm just saying it as a reminder. Another thing about the tentacles is to fix their shapes, if you want to polish this further from speed painting

About the actual and "optical", i'm not sure that i used the term "optical" correctly, but this is what i meant: Take two objects of one color of blue, for example, put one down in dark surrounding, and another one in light surrounding, the human perception can know if the both objects are of the same color, but take them to photoshop and pick the colors. As you may guessed it, they differ one another. To see some examples of a more extreme cases, go here and click on the link titled "color perception" to see what i'm talking about

Last edited by witcrack; May 26th, 2010 at 11:40 PM.
    I'm making mess here: Sketchbook .
    also on dA and blogspot

Cool people:
    Rotor | Kristoff | Kingkostas | Angel Intheuk | bbwolf

10. The Following User Says Thank You to witcrack For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man hows things?

i should apologise, i have nothing to put up. been heaps busy and feeling heaps shit.I think im getting over doing studies and i think i need to do some concepts or something. I dont know. im workin on a comic at the moment which im pretty pumped about so i will try and work my studies in with that project. Seeing as its set in the 50's im thinking of doin some 50's studies like cars, clothes and buildings. Also i have a number of characters that im designing to and the style of the comic which is being done in my own personal way.

so hopefully some updates soon, sorry dude.

i like the concept, but the colours are killing it perhaps a little to saturated. Also im feeling a little funny about his feet maybe have them not so perfectly horizontal across the picture cause it seems like his groin is heaps wide. I dont know. but i like the vibe and perspective of epicness!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to matty_mcmullen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    witcrack: I like the tentacles composition and their shapes! So I left them. Yeah thanks for the tip about optical colours and shadows. I will think about that in my next paintings.

Matty: Hey thanks for popping by. Keep updating and drawing even if it kills you. I'm telling you this because it's killing me at the moment. About the colours I'll go for something more subtle next time.. but for this one I wanted a rich palette. Thanks for the advice about the legs, they were bugging me alright.

You know in the end I got the legs right after loads of work and then decided to just put them in a mist to help the composition and mood. Sometimes you waste time if you don't plan the thumbs well enough in advance.

Here's the nearly final, just need to fix the weapon and arm and add some texture to the canvas.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A quick break form imagination drawings, here's a sketch of the house across the road from my bedroom window.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really enjoy this last Cityscape digi Jason. Diverse texture and handling Keep up the great work!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Ninjac For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    excellent progress my friend look forward to seeing you soon

The scrawny white sketchbook ring
    OISHIINIKU CAKEYPIGDOG MYA RES D-BAKER ASHAB

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Ashab For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    last ones awesome! just one little thing the perspective of the bricks on the largest open space of bricks is different to the others. a quick fix then it owns!

sorry no updates for me yet but i will have a massive update soon been hard at work on this comic its eating all my time

20. The Following User Says Thank You to matty_mcmullen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ninjac: Thanks a lot. it was quick and fun!
    Ashab: 2 weeks my friend. How's some swimming on the Thursday morning sound?
    Matty: Yeah perspective on that texture is way off. I was just fiddling and experimenting. I should really fix it and then chuck it in as a portfolio piece maybe.

Here's the first couple of steps of Ulysses. Everything might change but comments welcome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A self portrait during which the sunny day turned into a stormy day. I decided to leave the observation and mess about with texture and mood.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm happy with the pose and the palette. I will be adding small details here to his clothes: Dirt, Peruvian and Mexican weaving, Make his gun look a bit Japanese along with some conquistador type armour plates on his shoulder, rope, bandages on his arms, some middle eastern touches to the tackle, bit and reigns.

I was going to add some mythological elements but I felt it would loose it's western feeling.

Last edited by JasonHickey; June 7th, 2010 at 12:32 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello friend, I return to internet) And your last self-portrait is very expressive, I just was stunned before monitor for a minute) also I understand that it reminds me El Greco)
    After about a month such great progress, this is wonderful!

Sketchbook
    I'm mostly self-taught, please if you have free minute leave some crits for me!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Sillirien For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking great Jason! A few crits on the last piece. There are some excellent marks and colors on the close up, but they get muddy from the b/w you are using for highlights and shadows. Maybe a bit more green in his face. The gun placement is good but its hard to read as Japanese because I'm looking at the underside. It's progressing well, can't wait to see the finished piece!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Ninjac For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 333 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hey man, some mad progress through this sketchbook. I think this recent painting is great but it is so warm and saturated! I preferred the cool original colour, have you tried just having the lit areas that warm? The colours in the latest self portrait are very nice, having that vertical texture on top of the paint is distracting though

29. The Following User Says Thank You to tehmeh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow the house was soo beautiful. beautiful colors,

Hi ! Take a peek in my sketch book?My Sketchbook

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Puffynose For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Puffynose: Thank you very much!

teh.meh: Hey teh, thanks for the advice. I like saturated but I am going to cool down the shadows so thanks for the tip! I do understand what you see with the verticals in the self portrait but I chose them because they are unnerving and add some life (in my opinion )

Ninjac: Thanks for dropping by and thanks for the crit. I'll add some greens in there if I can and clean up the muddy colours. The gun hasn't really been started so it'd be hard for you to see it was Japanese at this point. I'll keep going, wait until the finished piece, it's going to be awesome.... I hope.

Sillirien: Welcome back! Thanks for the great support as usual. I'm flattered you think of El Greco, even a little bit. Yes it's been a busy month and many more to come.

Here's some 30 - 40 minute speed paintings from lunch the last two days. The topics are set by other artists at my company.

1st: Express Line
    2nd: High Diver

I'm just beginning this speed painting thing so don't expect master pieces for a while.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another update, still lots of details I want to put in but not sure I'll have time before MADE. Also the light on the arm holding the gun is wrong.

A side question: Does anyone have a good portfolio layout that they like that I can steal for laying out mine? I was thinking of just looking at the Massive Black books and trying to layout the stuff like they do..

And is it ok to just bring a digital version of my portfolio (in your opinion)?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    While I'm reinstalling windows on a laptop to bring to MADE I think I'll recap on where my ambitious plan left me after 5 weeks:

Bunch of female head sketches
    2 self portraits
    2 still lifes
    1 character design
    1 creature design
    Some speed paintings

I missed out on male head sketches, vehicle design and environment design. But I really didn't expect to get as much done as I did so I'm happy over all.

Before Wednesday I need to:
    1) Assemble portfolio and layout it out nicely. Include links to previous animation work and best of 3d just in case.
    2) Post portfolio on MADE forum, my blog, CA, VLP.
    3) Prepare networking QA:
    -Research the instructors
    -What do I need to find out?
    -Who do I find it from?

I'll post later with a finished Ulysses if I can shake off this cold.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good shit I particularly like the Ulysses stuff and the ink sketches.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice SB! Keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    God damn you've got some lovely work on the go, love how dynamic it is.

Rock on

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Loved the figures, and surely you'll developing some digital stuff too! Keep it up..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, Jason. I'm a fan, man! It's funny that Sillirian said that your life drawings were "strange and beautiful," when in fact your drawings look a lot like the squiggly-lined drawings in the music video for "Strange and Beautiful" by Aqualung.

I have one crit for you on the "Hell for Leather" dude on the first page, and it's about the stance. Now maybe I just got the perspective wrong, but it looks like he's firing the weapon from his left shoulder, but his left foot is forward. Typically when using a shoulder-fired weapon you want to put that shoulder and that foot back to give you more stability and better bracing. This might be more re-working than you wanted to do, but you could draw the weapon in the dude's right hand and then you'd just have to re-draw his arm and a cool-looking gun, rather than re-draw the guy's whole stance.

Just a thought. I think your art is great, and seeing your painting makes me want to take the time to get good at it myself. I especially like the self-portraits.

Here's my Book of Sketches

"Anything you can imagine is real." --Pablo Picasso

"Nothing says, 'I couldn't care less' like Times New Roman." --Me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Jason! How've you been?

theUnknownskethcer: Thanks for the support
    Molymillions: More thanks!
    pamukluprenses: Thank you for the praise. I am always trying to get better digitally.

Cozmo: Thanks for the crit. I really appreciate it. that drawing actually went to print like two weeks ago but you are totally right. I know there was something off but I juts couldn't place it. I'll do another self portrait soon so come and say hi again.

Seriously, all thanks for dropping by it was real nice surprise to come back and see the comments.

Anyway guys. Sorry for being away so long. Things got in the way.

Briefly: Made was amazing. I'm on TAD colour and composition now. I've just finished a commissioned piece. I got a promotion in work and now I am a senior artist and part time associate art director for Frontier Developments.

I've got stuff to upload for you all. For now here's a wip of a poster I am doing for TAD. It's not finished at all. Just a rough thumb for text layout (not colour or style) and background palette and shapes.

Also a 40 minute speed paint from lunch. I'll upload a couple more of those this week. Byee!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Value study update of back ground image of poster:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice. Looking forward to the completed poster.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.