Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks

How does concept art benefit society?

I see myself working hard to obtain the proper skills needed in this field but I keep asking myself how does concept art benefit society. I plan on establishing a comfortable living after acquiring the proper skills so I guess the only way is to volunteer my time to orphanages or giving donations to reputable charities? Any other ideas on how we as concept artist or any type of artist for that matter can help society and at the same time increase their bank accounts? I like money but I also want to make contributions someday.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,154 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Well concept art specifically provides entertainment as well as promotes the knowledge of art and technique to another generation. As long as concept art jobs are needed, there will be artists. A little deeper and the art produced provides somewhat of a commentary for today's society. Social subconscious symbols are apparent as well as what properties are demanded by our economy ex) "Sex Sells."

Of course a lot of concept artist do personal art on the side. That art and the by products of that art can affect society in any way the artist pleases.
    "Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to s.ketch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    Could you imagine a world without art? I can, it'd be so boring x_X

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BlightedArt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    *slowly leaves thread....*

if you want to help society, dont draw.
    Online portfolio:
    www.francisbrunet.com

Thanks
    You benifit society by providing a service and creating content. The content created by an artist's effort is able to inspire and grow on it's own by interacting with people in individual ways. Art has the potential to change the world, just imagine how many companies and jobs have been created because of someone being isnpired by art in one form or another.

And your art and your time is worth money, so never feel bad for charging what you're worth. And doing art for charities is likely somethign that can be both rewarding and make you grow as an artist as well =)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kab For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur 'Two Sheds' View Post
    I don't know why people get so emo about making money from art. It's called working. How does it benefit society? It feeds your kids.

If you want to change the world, go ahead. We all have grand ideas about our own superprojects. In the meantime however, get good at art so you can get a job. it's as simple as that.

Buckweisel did say some good stuff. At the end of the day though, there's no use being a starving artist for some noble cause that never came into fruition because you refused to work for the sole purpose of making a living.
    QFT

I used to have similar doubts. But there is no point in being a starving crusader. Art is a job, society pays good money for it so society does think it is needed. The overhelming majority of people work just to have food and home, and feed their kids, and there is NO shame in being one of them. It shows that you are upstanding citizen willing to work for your bread. U still can be a decent and worthy human being leading a worthy respectable life even if your job does not directly save the whales.

Thanks
    Q: Who interprets the divinity inherent in nature for us today? Who are our shamans? Who interprets the unseen for us?

A: It is the function of the artist to do this. The artist is the one who communicates myth for today. But he has to be an artist who understands mythology and humanity and isn't simply a sociologist with a program for you.
    what's another good one..

If the final goal of image is vision, then the final goal of Metaphor is Myth, which is a narrative derived from taking the figurative literally
    that quote was referring to writing, but I've always thought the potential for illustration, which is basically art with a narrative, to be a vehicle for myth-telling to be pretty high.

anyways, I know that sounds pretentious, especially coming from an artist of extreme crappiness like me, but don't dismiss the idea right away. There's always gonna be a need for it in the world, and it can be a goal for any artist, and definitely a benefit to society...benefits aren't always material.

And for all you rationalists out there, "divinity inherent in nature" doesn't have to be anything other than a metaphor for the human respect for, and connection with, nature.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Oden For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Maybe you can quiet your conscience by working on edutainment titles instead of more adult titles?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,192 Times in 516 Posts
    "So long as there are artists among us the world will be posessed of an ever increasing amount of beauty."

Don't remember who said that.

edit: I googled the quote and the only thing that came up was when I dropped the same quote in a different thread. I dunno.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,424 Times in 2,929 Posts
    We are headed toward more social responsibility here. We have a month long contest coming up which will benefit Africa and I am working on some things for a cause which means a lot to the creature folks here and many of us who have appreciation for animal life and that is the problem of endangered species. We are only as good for the world as we want to be and we have far more power as artists than just to entertain. CA is growing up and I am glad to be a part of that. We have good stuff to do.

Art has the power to change the world. It is happening. CA's fave charity Project Hope is a great example of that. Anyone who thinks art cannot change the world needs to do more research into how art has impacted culture. We can communicate and we can inspire and there are ways that can benefit all of society.

jason

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 291 Posts
    if you want to help the poor and disadvantaged, drawing orcs and space marines is probably not the most direct way to go about it. you could always tell yourself that you draw things that inspire people, and that can be viewed as a positive thing, i guess...

my thing is that i've always tried to teach and share what information i've learned over the years with younger artists. i rationalize that this is the best thing a working artist can do, pass on the info and help folks who share a similar interest.

art in general tends to be a very mastubatory profession, so i think the best way to "pay it forward" it to show other folks how to earn a living masturbating like you do..

18. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to el coro For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986 View Post
    reigh, no artist in their right mind wants to starve, but it's more complicated than just feeding your kids. Would you feel happy making art for grand theft auto? or any other negative title? oden, thanks that's something to thing about, hamsta, indeed I plan to cater my work to titles that aren't so negative. I have a conscious and I support positive things, positive music etc...
    Simple solution: practice. The better you are the more freedom u have to get into projects that stimulate you creatively and morally. Shouldn't be that difficult.

Don't you guys ever look at how freaked up and unfair the world is and think about how you could help, even if it's a little? Idk, I just think everybody has a responsibility to make this world a better place while we are on it. So thinking about how your career choice could help is only natural. I'm not religious but I don't believe after we die that's the end of it, just saying.
    Man, we are living on such a mountain of social injustice, that trying to imagine it all is just mind bogling, and trying not to be part of it is impossible without turning amish in the process. And there are like many ways to take care about it. You could stop using deodorants, and spent it on fresh water for poor countries. Or draw dying whales and hope somebody would care. Or draw kick ass space marines and orks, earn lots of money and use it for charity. Or draw kick ass space marines and orks, earn lots of many and use your free time for betterment of mankind. Or participate in projects where kick ass space marines and orks are metaphores and the subtext of the project expands consciousness of the users.

Lots of ways to do it. But they all require you to learn to draw well first. All but the deodorant one, you can do that one today ;P

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Reign For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 723 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986 View Post
    reigh, no artist in their right mind wants to starve, but it's more complicated than just feeding your kids. Would you feel happy making art for grand theft auto? or any other negative title? oden, thanks that's something to thing about, hamsta, indeed I plan to cater my work to titles that aren't so negative. I have a conscious and I support positive things, positive music etc...

Don't you guys ever look at how freaked up and unfair the world is and think about how you could help, even if it's a little? Idk, I just think everybody has a responsibility to make this world a better place while we are on it. So thinking about how your career choice could help is only natural. I'm not religious but I don't believe after we die that's the end of it, just saying.
    I think it's safe to say that 95% of the people on this board would be thrilled out of their minds at a chance to work on GTA.

I like what you're saying though. Your big picture conscience is something most people don't have... if they did this world would be a much better place, imo.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Ian Barker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYB0VW5x8fI

Terence gives his opinion at 2:30.

Thanks
    I have a good friend who's a fine painter and a muralist and she regularly leads mural projects with street kids and community centers. It's also a good way for her to improve her visibility. So there you go. If you have never tried doing cartoony characters live for a bunch of little kids, you can try it, they often go nuts and start yelling special requests. There's plenty of stuff you can do, if I remember well, Stoph built his portfolio doing pro bono work for the salvation's army. It's not like you can be a professional art missionary and make good money doing that (in general) but artists often donate pieces to charity auctions.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Qitsune For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast