Thanks

Light Bulb Moment on Alla Prima Brushwork

So a few days ago I sat down and started reworking an old dried oil painting and just messing around with brushwork, blending, etc. I was in a "i don't give a shit mood" so I just quickly mixed huge amounts of paint, and REALLY loaded up my brushes with color and just start slapping down small slabs of color and barely touching the strokes afterward. Cleaned my brush after every stroke.......and then it hit me: I started to notice that Sargent/Morgan Weistling spontaneous look. The mistake I was making was that I was fussing around too much with that huge soft watercolor brush and it resulted in very smooth strokes as well as it removed paint from the surface after every sweep. Now I finally understand what Sargent meant by do not be economical with your paints and really load up that brush and slap it down with barely any modifying of that brushstroke afterword...... Boy does it make sense now. It's sort of like you don't give a shit and are just throwing these blobs of color down but at the same time you are giving a shit since you are paying attention to edges, hue, value and chroma of these blobs at the same time. This is so liberating. I am finally getting the brushstrokes that I want.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    good for you
    nice to hear about this kind of lightbulb moments, and great that you can actually lay a finger on it, and describe what exactly you learned.
    would be nice to see something of it

Thanks
    Thanked 6,559 Times in 2,767 Posts
    That is a great breakthrough. The old addage is always have a layer of paint between the bristles of he brush and the surface of the canvas. The brush should never actually touch the surface unless you want it to, for an effect.

Thanks
    Thanks guys. Ajvenema, I will try to post something soon. Dpaint: Yes!! Making sure that the brush didn't actually hit the canvas was a breakthrough. That's why I was picking up more paint than laying down. I was working too much into the canvas and using too much pressure. Pressure should be VERY light. A huge revelation. I am surprised such a simple concept took me this long to figure out. Boy am I a fool!

Thanks
    it's funny I recognnise this moment... I just do it on a very small scale. tiny stiff brushes on Alla Prima Plein Air paintings (not bigger than 8" by 10" often smaller) ...
    To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    Sargent said in his notes: "...the thicker you paint, the more color flows."

Thanks
    Thanked 4,919 Times in 2,547 Posts
    Right on! Nice to hear - those are great moments that stay with you always.
    What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    absolutely