Sketchbook: Brad's Sketchbook-

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Brad's Sketchbook-

So for my first post, a guy I sketched from my head, a self portrait of yours truley and some studies

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by brad.houghton; April 29th, 2011 at 12:00 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Working on my COW 164 "The day we made contact entry". This is actually my first digi painting so any advice (I'm using PS CS2) specifically on that would be great. Thanks guys.

Hey, so I movoed back to school 2 days ago which is why there was no post that day or yesterday, which is also why I missed the COW deadline. Oh well, wasn't to happy with my idea anyways. This is how far i got into it.

Some ideas for CHOW 186, The Archeologist. Which one looks good to you guys?

More CHOW bell?

For the newest CHOW, hopefully i'll actually get something substantial done.

This is a study from the Appreciation of the feminine form thread. There is so much good stuff in there, as well as the masculine one. And plus, who doesn't love girls

Learning photoshop huh? Me2! 19 also.

Pretty good start with it all. Although, while your doing ps, don't forget to do plenty of anatomy and figure studies.
    the abdominals on one of your studies seems a bit off.

Good female figure too!

The Sketchbook of Naj and Stu!:
    SKETCHBOOK

And of course go check out the SB of DefiledVisions

UmpaArt - Thanks for commenting man, and ya i definetly see the one you were talking about

So one more for the night from the Appreciation of the Feminine form thread. This dancer almost has disproportianetly large breasts, not that theres anything wrong with that

Hey guys, so midterms are killing me, I only got a chance to do one study today, but as of monday they are over and hopefully I can really start to crank out the work. Anyways, todays study was a male gymnast found courtesy of google. Thanks

Look at those abs!!
    Gymnast I assume.

The Sketchbook of Naj and Stu!:
    SKETCHBOOK

And of course go check out the SB of DefiledVisions

@ UmpaArt - yessir, just a pic i found on google

This one was just for fun, The Anatomy of Elmo

I laughed at that penis head.

@ zerdron - lol ya, sort of an after thought but decided another approach was needed lol

So here's the final image of anatomy of Elmo, I'm going to use it in my printmaking class, pull a few photo litho's, it'll be black and white of course but i do like the colour image. Back to real anatomy studies now lol.

Last edited by brad.houghton; March 3rd, 2010 at 03:29 PM. Reason: slight change to th pic, didn't think it was worth a repost though

haha omg that elmo anatomy made me laugh so hard. that's pretty cool. keep studying more anatomy. have you looked into anatomy books? if not, look up Loomis/Bridgman/Hogarth. i think those are pretty well to start out with :3 keep it up

Sketchbook
    Blog
    Drachen

Matt
    Jamie
    King
    Henri
    Lukas

available for commission/work
    email: mister.guiang@gmail.com

@ James Dussqe - thanks man lets hope so

@ teapo - lol thanks for the elmo coment I actually do have a Hogarth book, and another called Anatomy for the Artist (I wonder how many different books with that title there are? lol) I work out of both, but i would love to pick up a Bridgeman book, his stuff floors me.

So a PS study I did tonight, I think overall it took me just a little over 2 hours. I'd like to start speeding things up a bit, hopefully getting my speedpaints down to about an hour for somthing like this. The last step I overlayed some textures, woodgrain for my desk, which turned out well, and I used sand for what supposed to be sugar in that cup but I'm pretty dissapointed in how that turned out. Any crits or comments about anything I could do to improve my PS skills would be huge appreciated. Thanks guys

Hey so this ones a little morbid, its for a screen print I have to do for class, it has to gave 4 colours, so black dark flesh, mid flesh and red are my colours, but I'm not entirely happy (at all) with them, I just can't seem to get them to work. Any suggestions on that would be particularly helpful.

Hey, so the summer is finally, yay!!! Heres a couple of quick sketches, the skulls are to help understand how the face works. I realized that the only faces I can draw are the ones i've memorized, so I want to gain a better understanding of the mechanics of the face so that I can draw it from any angle.

Going to try a digital painting. I would really appreciate some crits on this one as its gonna be quite the project for me.

Great work so far, I like the first sketch in your second to last post it's cool looking, I would add some color to it though. Other than that keep up the good work.

Hey the start looks good. Great to see you're finding the color scheme--keep on searching for cool-warm, bright-dull contrasts and don't be afraid to alter the composition.

I would also look into the value relationships--maybe find the darkest and lightest areas, because as of now the painting is hanging around in the middle value range.

For your figure drawings, I think drawing through the form rather than just the contours will help your understanding of the figure. In this one, the shape seems somewhat convincing but the proportions and placement of limbs are off. I think drawing the figure as a gesture will really help you in adjusting the proportions until they click. Messy drawings can be more informative and helpful than clean ones sometimes.

Keep it up!

Icedearth15876 - Hey thanks man, and ya your right for sure, gotta add some colour, im still a little undecided about what colours I should actually use,

YihyoungLi - Hey, thanks for all the crits man I started adding the darks to the drawing, and i'll definetly do some more figure drawings how you said

Made some changes, well sort of started again from the line drawing. PS is still a little daunting, i've always been told when painting to work from my dark to lights, blocking in the darks first then the light tones, etc... I am still a little confused as to how I should put the colours down but trying to work my way through Really enjoying it so far too

looking good brad~ update some more! haha. that still life practice of the teacup is quite impressive~ keep doing more studies like that and your painting skills will improve more and more. also, good imagination with the last 2 posts. keep it up my friend~

Sketchbook
    Blog
    Drachen

Matt
    Jamie
    King
    Henri
    Lukas

available for commission/work
    email: mister.guiang@gmail.com

teapo - hey thanks man, and ya i know i should post more i definitely will now that its summer, it was silly of me to start a SB right before exams

So another quick update on the dragon, i realize now that i looked away from photoshop and came back to it that i need to make it was darker behind the dragons head as the the clouds and head are pretty much the same value.

I've just looked through your sketchbook, very nice work! I laughed my head off at the Elmo anatomy, what a brilliant idea, really nicely done too!
    I'm just moving from traditional to digital so your cup study is really helpful.
    As for the anatomy, you've certainly got a style but how about some different approaches as well besides cross-hatch? I find chiaroscuro very helpful, just blocking out colours and not actually using any lines, I think it's really helpful improving anatomy skills & general drawing skills.
    Keep up the good work!

JetLime - Hey thanks for looking man, and ya i think im gonna do some more anatomy studies using a different approach, i've been told a couple times lol

I was just screwing around this morning and came up with this, about 2 hours of work. I think I might work on it for the rest of the day, I feel that maybe I bit off a little more then I can chew with the dragon picture, I think I need to work on my basic photoshop skills first before tackling it again.
    Thanks for all the crits!

UPDATE

An anatomy study, I don't know if i'll have time today to get another done like this but i'll definitely do another tomorrow.

Two more quicker anatomy studies

So this took me about an hour tonight, and it shows my general approach to painting, but my questions is do you think it'll work for more complex images/ maybe i'm not taking advantage of PS layers and and changing my opacity enough? Let me know, thanks for looking

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.