Sketchbook: Yiako's 52 and a half weeks (48 weeks left)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Yiako's 52 and a half weeks (48 weeks left)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Yiako's 52 and a half weeks (48 weeks left)

Hi everybody!

A brief note: This is my third SB here in CA, but for the first time I pretend... err, I WILL keep it updated regularly. Not for the sake of doing it, but as a reflect of hopefully (delete that) a HARD work over one entire year. Believe me, If I can keep focus and draw, and study, and draw over a long period of time, that just would be a success for me. After one year I will decide if there's really a chance, or not.

I started to draw again in the last week of december, after years without doing it, apart of drawing scribbles and little figures while attending phone calls in work. I still feel numb, but I am slowly getting into the habit. That's the most important for now: just to get used to draw.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Yiako; January 30th, 2010 at 08:58 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here we go...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One thing I need is to focus in studying a specific aspect for a long period, so during the next five weeks I will spend some time daily learning the situation and function of muscles, bones, and drawing heavily each one of these parts : Legs, pelvis, trunk, arms, hands. One week in each subject. I do not expect a dramatic improvement, but rather to start laying the foundations and, mostly, to clean the litter I'm using now to draw... Like this page shows, I have no idea at all:
    Name:  -01.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  59.2 KB

I am also trying to find a way to allow me to draw "modeling" the subject. The pen is just a little dry for this, but I discovered the sfumino. It's fun and it has a more volumetric finish.
    Name:  -02.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  36.9 KBName:  -03.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  38.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been working. I made a discover already: I would like not to have drawn before, because now I have not only to LEARN each aspect, but to UNLEARN my mental image of it, constructed after years of drawing without a solid foundation.

Legs and knees
    Name:  -06.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  77.6 KB
    Name:  -07.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  56.2 KBName:  -08.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  64.0 KB
    Name:  -09.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  79.1 KBName:  -10.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  59.6 KB

And a experiment: Using layers to make a drawing of the bones, and overlay muscles and skin over it.
    Name:  -01.gif
Views: 296
Size:  282.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I finished my 1st study of legs. There are so much to keep learning, but for now I have trimmed a lot of huge mistakes and misconceptions I had about them. Next week move on to the pelvis (argh...)

Also making experiments with photoshop, and starting to use blocks of opaque color better than building step by step form using pressure variable brushes as before. It's quicker and more vivid.
    Name:  -01.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  36.3 KBName:  -03.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  22.5 KB
    Name:  -04.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  58.3 KBName:  -02.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  71.5 KB
    Name:  -06.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  26.2 KBName:  -05.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  20.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's so cool to hear that you're getting back into drawing. I know that it can be hard after an extended period of not seriously doing it. You're very talented at drawing people, and I like those little note you add, especially the one about the scapula. Did you know that the hyoid bone is the only bone in the body that doesn't share articulation with any other bone? Keep it up, I know you can! only 49 more weeks!(or is it 48 now?)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

GIMP!

Thanks, Gogojojo! I think we share a few points: both of us are "fast renderers". People will keep telling you that you should stop a bit, don't be too audacious with your lines and spend more time rendering and finishing your drawings but... AARHHG!!! I CANT DO IT!! Please, let me know if you get it, and tell me HOW

Ok, I have drawn less this week. Work has been harder. I must adjust and look for time whenever I can. But the good news is that I've discovered GIMP, and it rocks! I have a mac and up to now I couldn't use because there were no pressure sensitivity support. I installed with a bit of disbelief because my prior experience was poor with it.

But it has turned out in a fabulous contender. Maybe it's just me, but it's just great for painting and drawing. I can't really point out what is, but it's way more natural, fast, and rich that with PS. And funnier.

Name:  10012501.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  78.9 KBName:  10013004.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  26.7 KB
    Name:  10012405.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  26.8 KBName:  10012801.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  47.5 KB
    Name:  10012803.jpg
Views: 222