My First Finished ORIGINAL Painting
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My First Finished ORIGINAL Painting

Please give completely honest advice and/or criticism. All comments are greatly appreciated! I'm anxious to hear what people think of it. It's basically my concept of beauty.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is zero definition to what I'm looking at. Is it the front or back? The cloth is just hanging there suspended by nothing. The body has no contrast or value, which makes it look like a flat plane on top of a purple mass - since the background is painted around the contours of the body. The anatomy is all wrong as well.

Tips:

Purchase an anatomy book. Paint from reference. Look at shadows and light on the surface of skin/hair/cloth etc.

Purchase (or go to the library) and get a book about color theory, and learn how to add different colors and how they balance out with eachother.

I hope I'm not sounding too harsh, and I applaud anyone who wants to get into art, but if this something you want to do well, you need to educate yourself on the basics.

Good Luck, and have fun!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you! I really appreciate all of that. I guess I should have mentioned that my goal was not to be completely realistic; it's more of an abstract piece. Either way though, I hope to develop some sort of artistic ability, and your advice was really helpful for when I decide to do an accurate depiction of the human body.

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It's great that you're so open to feedback - and congratulations on posting something up. The one thing I see that the piece really has going for it is a neat composition and a really nice, dynamic rhythm. That kind of thing tends to be very intuitive and difficult to learn/study - so you're off to a great start. On the other hand, as adm1976 pointed out, most of the fundamentals are lacking so the piece doesn't really work - yet.

Work hard on learning the fundamentals and key concepts behind visual art and eventually you'll really be able to share your concept of beauty in a powerful way.

Good luck!

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you so much! That's such a compliment. I really love hearing all of your feedback because the constructive criticism is exactly what I needed to hear. Everyone else who I have asked their thoughts about it, doesn't give very meaningful advice. I hope I can take some classes soon and study up on techniques!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm personally not feeling the flow on this. For example, why is the hair going the way it is? What's going on with that cloth that it's wrapped around her in a c shape and not falling down? If it's going to be a recognizable form, especially an abstraction, you need to consider why your doing things.

In addition to taking classes it is also a good idea to buy an anatomy book and read it and do studies from it. It can also be helpful to look at posts here, look at the crits it's getting and look to see if you can see what they are talking about.

"...To spend my life relentlessly producing instead of sedately consuming..." -xkcd

My site: www.truepinkas.com

Slowly populating my It's Finally Finished thread!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i feel like you have to understand the human form before you can produce and abstraction of human form.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.