Thread: Music

Thanks

Music

List.
    Last edited by "Two Sheds" Jackson; February 12th, 2012 at 04:07 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

4. The Following User Says Thank You to NickGuy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Lucky Boy featuring Fafi by DJ Mehdi seriously gets me in the zone. Not only is it an awesome song, but it's in that youtube video of Danielc drawing, so every time I hear it I'm just like waaaaaa gotta make this good.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cdejong For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 379 Posts
    I don't know about you but every song from Splashdown keeps my brain from shutting itself off.

They have a really long song called "Running with Scissors." Can't find it on youtube but you can get all of their stuff from here: http://brigandine.org/splashdown/

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to velderia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    When I listen to audiobooks, I don't notice the passing time, next thing I know it's time to go home. This only works when I'm not handling complicated tasks that require reading/writing (like batching files or exporting data) or that push my comfort zone too much. It's really perfect for loads of studies or for rendering, especially for lots of anal meticulous stuff.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Qitsune For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    I just search for "Whose line us season X" on youtube and set whatever playlist I find to play all. Hilarious fun while I draw

Thanks
    Mostly progressive rock (like The Mars Volta, Opeth, or King Crimson), metal (like Mastodon, Baroness, Gojira, or Meshuggah), or post-rock in it's many forms (Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Mono, Isis).

I love post-punk like the Minutemen or Fugazi, but they don't really get my creative juices flowing as well.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dorkthrone For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 870 Posts
    WHY WHY WHY do people need to listen to special music while they draw??? What's the point of neglecting a certain kind of music while you're not drawing, or the rest of your collection while drawing for that matter?

Anyway, my musical urges dictate what I want to listen to, not my artwork. That said, if I'm doing client work I like to listen to the band that I'm doing art for or at least a similar style (for Sunn O)))'s poster I listened to them a lot, and for the SIXX record I listened to a lot of Joy Division, etc.)

My last fm link is in my signature, which gives you an idea of some of the stuff I've been listening to, but it's only been up for 5 days so everything that's scrobbled is from this week (and for this entire month and year for that matter ).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 277 Posts
    This song is interesting enough to not be background noise, yet not as obnoxious or distractibg as, say, 50% of my playlist which consists of metal. It's amazing.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crossmirage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Anything I've already seen before. Dr. Who (Pertwee) currently on standby, 'Invasion of the Dinosaurs'.

I listen to a lot of stuff depending on my mood, generally on the uptempo side of things. As a snap response however, I'd be most like to say RUSH.

Thanks
    People!

if you don't link it, it doesn't exist! if you can't find it on the nets, upload it!

I've got alot of songs which get my creative juices flowing, but right now i'm feeling a little bit down-trodden. Thank allah for hip-hop...

Thanks
    Music's cool for getting the juices flowing but it doesn't make up for mental fatigue.

Music sounds and art is great when you have enough charge. I like to visualise really intensely when I'm driving lately, to build and imagine bodies and shapes and characters dancing etc. It's doing something and it keeps me motivated and inspired. Singing to songs will also do it. It seems that I build up artistic load and at some point you just have to grab paper and draw some of that stuff.

Audiobooks are an awesome idea for the land of traffick here in ZA, I'm thinking of getting a language series to learn German.
    ----------------------------------
    Scetchbook: View the exhibitionist's stuff.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zaorr View Post
    Music's cool for getting the juices flowing but it doesn't make up for mental fatigue.

Music sounds and art is great when you have enough charge. I like to visualise really intensely when I'm driving lately, to build and imagine bodies and shapes and characters dancing etc. It's doing something and it keeps me motivated and inspired. Singing to songs will also do it. It seems that I build up artistic load and at some point you just have to grab paper and draw some of that stuff.

Audiobooks are an awesome idea for the land of traffick here in ZA, I'm thinking of getting a language series to learn German.
    And if all else fails, smoke some weed.

Thanks
    Zaorr, perhaps i owe you a little more communication.

I find imagining things as i attempt to sleep to be beneficial to my imagination, it's alot safer than doing it while driving anyway.

If you want to try to exercise your minds eye, here is a neat trick i use which you can practice as you try to get some sleep. i'll use my default example, but the subject matter is easily replaceable...

Imagine a womans face, she looks like she might have existed in the late 1800's try to keep that exact image in your mind...

now zoom out and imagine a costume, ideally some late 1800's dress, y'know, frilly with a pompus behind, maybe a fan in the hand or something.. but try to keep the image of the face all the while...

now zoom out further, imagine a pond in front of her, possibly showing some reflection, lillies and grass, a tree off to the left, some mountains in the background, some white birds in the sky...

try to do all this without losing the original face.

your brain should be feeling really strange at this point, as if it's "Butter spread over too much bread". But I guarantee you it will improve the clarity of your mind's eye.

Anywho... I'm still flipping on my hip-hip trip...

(awesome clip, watch in fullscreen please)
    Last edited by karma militia; January 7th, 2010 at 02:01 PM. Reason: FULLSCREEN, MOFO'S!!!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to karma militia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I usually don't use/need music when drawing (but I rarely draw nowadays from imagination, so I don't need to "inspire" myself) and I prefer to hear the radio. It's curious now how by just looking at a drawing, I can recall what they were speaking about.

About inspirational music, I could just hear anything from Vangelis (esp. Blade runner soundtrack) endlessly...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    Funny I dunno I do think there is that select few songs that does inspire someone to draw. I found a pair of songs just like this for me not too long ago (An original song and remix) and my routine was always the same for probably 5 days for some reason I would start listening to them at like 2 in the morning
    I would suddenly be inspired and draw until morning (really messed up my sleep schedule though haha)
    I swear I learned more from those drawings than I have in a long time, took risks learned alot

I think everyone has certain songs that can just make them inspired
    Personally as far as drawing music goes it varies to me but usually I listen to foreign music, whether it be spanish, french to technoey japanese music
    I prefer listening to music that doesnt have words I can understand
    The drawings more so from me and not just me drawing some scene from a song

But thats just me personally

Thanks
    For me, listening to my favourite tracks by Akira Yamaoka from Silent Hill like The Reverse Will, Maternal Heart, Heavens night and so many more.
    I also think Thyco makes brilliant music, my favourites are Adrift, From Home and Past is Prologue.

I'll be checking out everyone's suggestions soon! I'll see what works for me.

Thanks
    Ratatat. I was also going to point out Heavyweight from Infected Mushroom but someone beat me to it.

Johnny Hollow http://www.johnnyhollowmusic.com/
    You could listen to the entire second album online somewhere but I lost the link.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Kobrin View Post
    WHY WHY WHY do people need to listen to special music while they draw??? What's the point of neglecting a certain kind of music while you're not drawing, or the rest of your collection while drawing for that matter?

Anyway, my musical urges dictate what I want to listen to, not my artwork.
    I mostly agree with you Jake, as I can do art listening to just about anything. I must say though, that other activities can be different. For example, I've just realized that I can't really skate to anything super heavy or brutal.

In fact, the only thing I can seem to skate to is stoner rock...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts
    Orchestral tracks from Pirates of the Caribbean, great stuff:
    http://www.amazon.com/Pirates-Caribb.../dp/B0000A1RJI
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 291 Posts
    anything by R kelly, justin beiber, brokencyde, tokyo hotel, attack attack!!
    and of course, anything eli porter.

and lotsa 90's gangsta rap...

thats what does it for me.

c36

Thanks
    Psychadelic trance works extra well for me, I loose track of time and suddenly five hours have passed and I've forgotten to eat/drink, so I suddenly realise I'm dehydrated and super hungry...

But most music works really... =)

Thanks
    Hmm I have a long list as depending on my mood or what I am drawing at the time. I listen to new age like Kitaro to Punk the Dead Kennedy's to hard Rock like Metallica to Techno to Classical even Anime sound tracks and Christen rock like Pillar Just one thing i do not listen to is Country music.. . but at the most I like to hear no lyrics when working but again differs from what type of work .. Sculpting or painting or drawing on the computers. Working at home or in a large studio

I am very much for some way to bring out focus to work with and sound around you can help or even limit you if it is the wrong sounds.. I am kind of like that I just have to have some thing to get working if not around sounds I end up go to a place with lots of people and sounds just to work.. Quiet is bad for my work.

CC

Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 271 Posts
    Riders of Taramis theme from Conan the Destroyer soundtrack!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by el coro View Post
    anything by R kelly, justin beiber, brokencyde, tokyo hotel, attack attack!!
    and of course, anything eli porter.

and lotsa 90's gangsta rap...

thats what does it for me.

c36
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDD... You legitimately like Brokencyde and Attack Attack??????????????

Thanks
    Loreena McKennitt, she's very relaxing
    All Souls Night
    The Highwayman
    Last edited by Amber Alexander; January 12th, 2010 at 12:18 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur 'Two Sheds' View Post
    Qitsune - I agree, though there isn't much replay value in audiobooks . You can only listen to the same episodes so many times :/. Great suggestions guys I've listened to a few already. Keep em coming!
    I dunno about that... I've got a few audio books on work ethic and The Road by Cormack Mccarthy on audio book, and I must have listened to them at least a hundred and fifty times each. Mostly because they are included in my normal music playlist and I usually have it set to shuffle, and sometimes it shuffles to random chapters from the books, but I've never been tempted to switch tracks when it came to one of those books while I'm studying or working at home.
    Sepulverture's Sketchbook Page 1 Page 19
    Sepulvertures Extended Studies Page 1
    page 2

Tutorials Tips and Tricks needs you to stay alive!"

Thanks
    How about hypnotic trance inductions that can take you to your special creative place?

Long ago when I read some Ross Jeffries(Bwahahahaahaa!!) he had a good one about a secret room where you followed down the stairs, imagining differant colors as you go and then finally opening a door with brass doorknob's opening to a new world where you could imagine all kinds of stuff.
    ----------------------------------
    Scetchbook: View the exhibitionist's stuff.

Thanks
    The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute
    - Deloused in Comatorium
    - Octahedron

Pink Floyd - The Wall
    - Wish You Were Here

Grinderman - Grinderman

Nick Cave - Abbatoir Blues
    - Dig, Lazarus, Dig!

JethroTull - Aqualung

Frank Zappa - Apostrophe

The Tiger Lillies - The Freaks

and some others I can't quite remember right now.
    Brendan Noeth

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brendan N For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Circa Survive gives me a great melody to create fantasy stuff.
    www.myspace.com/circasurvive
    As well As Moving Mountains (some songs)
    www.myspace.com/movingmountainsmusic
    Don`t laugh, but Linkin Park Meteora and Reanimation gives me mood for Sci-Fi, robotic, massive battle feel...

I also like 30 seconds to mars, and the great ones are Movies SoundTracks!
    Rodrigo Windt Concept Art
    my sketchbook